• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Are Not Alone...?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Definitely. Given the information / comparisons, etc. it's definitely an achievement in space exploration / discovering other habitable planets.

Peeze

Smash Master
In my opinion, finding life on another planet would be the worst thing for mankind.
If they're less primitive than us, we would end up dominating them(because this is what we have ALWAYS done)
And if they were more advanced we would feel threatened and stockpile weapons and possibly make some arrogant show of strength(because this is what we have ALWAYS done).
Either way WAR!!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If we're lucky they'll be irl Asari and we can have sex with them.

Beware the Ardat Yakshi though, they will literally **** your brains out!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

I lol'd.
600 light years?

That's a laugh.
Yeah, we will never have the technology to reach such a planet in our lifetime, and hell, we as humans may never see the technology to reach such a planet if wars with one another dooms us first.

That said, let's assume mankind in the distant future does have the tech for such sophisticated travel and ventures to this planet, just because they believe it to be habitable doesn't necessarily mean it is, and even if it is, there's that chance it may not have any life outside of vegetation and bacteria.

Now if we do find it to be habitable with intelligent life or otherwise, mankind will claim the planet for themselves, and we'll eventually have wars not for countries, but for planets. You think World Wars I and II were bad? How about Universal War. Yeah, that's the thing movies like Star Wars are made of.

inb4 tl;dr

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well yeah, that's the standard of "Obv we own everything and everything," so I would never down space wars if man was to find another habitable planet with intelligent life forms.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Star Wars used more primitive forms of warfare than we even used like, 10-20 years ago.

Just putting that out there.
If you're talking about the Ewoks and that battle in the jungle, then yes. Otherwise, I'd love to see proof of us current-day humans using laser guns that never run out of ammo, and a space station with enough power to erase a planet off existence.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If you're talking about the Ewoks and that battle in the jungle, then yes. Otherwise, I'd love to see proof of us current-day humans using laser guns that never run out of ammo, and a space station with enough power to erase a planet off existence.

They use tactics we already don't use, their ****ing machines don't even make sense. I'm not talking about **** like lasers, I'm talking about how poorly they use what they have. We would never make something as stupid as a four legged machine that is less mobile than a tank for no ****ing reason. We're already working on robots that walk on 4 legs and it's already more impressive movement wise, and last time I checked, you make a radical change up on vehicles such as adding legs in order to, you know, improve mobility.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.

Just be careful a Matriarch doesn't steal your soul after ****ing your brains out.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It could take tens of thousands of years to reach that planet if we ever wanted to visit it.

Meh.

Let's try to find something under 50 lightyears away. We might actually be able to reach those in a few generations =p

Jonas

Smash Champion
It's conceivable that, if we built rockets fast enough, a human explorer could travel to this planet and reach it within his life-time. The universe outside the rocket (which obviously includes his homeplanet as well as Kepler 22-b) would have aged more than 600 years in the meantime though.

I dunno about this planet though. It could be made of anything (gas, solid ground etc.) and it could be hotter than hell or too cold for liquid water to be present, depending on the atmosphere. Even if conditions are "just right," it may not even have life in any form anyway. Even if this is the most likely candidate to support advanced life, for all we know it may still have very slim chances of doing so.

Can't wait till JWST takes a closer look at it, though =D

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's impossible to travel faster than light.

Even if humans could devise a way of traveling the speed of light, it would take them 600 years to reach there and 600 years to reach back.

Think of what could happen to the voyagers that set off for that, think of what could happen to society on earth. In 1,200+ years the difference between the voyagers themselves and earth would be alien.

Kepler's discovered thousands of earth-like planets throughout the solar system. The chance of one having life even IF it's habitable is minimal at best. The chance of life occurring even WHEN it can occur theoretically should happen more than once with the number of planets in the universe, but is still insanely low chance of occurring. It's a miracle we exist at all.

If we didn't have 1 perfect moon, the planet would have been ruled by squids

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's impossible to travel faster than light.

Even if humans could devise a way of traveling the speed of light, it would take them 600 years to reach there and 600 years to reach back.

Think of what could happen to the voyagers that set off for that, think of what could happen to society on earth. In 1,200+ years the difference between the voyagers themselves and earth would be alien.
The voyagers wouldn't be that different; relativity for the win. I agree on society, though.

Anyway, I don't care too much about other life as long as we find a planet that we can expand our civilization to and live on. We have too many of our eggs in one basket here.

Jonas

Smash Champion
You mean we have all our eggs in one basket, lol
I really doubt we would get there in a decent time just by making stronger rockets, we'd need something a looot more advanced than that.
I'm just using the term "rocket" to describe any means of propulsion with which one can travel space. It doesn't have to be a chemical rocket like the ones we have today.

Of course, it wouldn't be accurate to say rocket if, at some point, we start using solar sail technology/something else we haven't come up with yet.

Jonas

Smash Champion
We don't know that. It's certainly impossible with the chemical rockets of today, but who's to say what kind of esoteric propulsion technology is going to pop up over the centuries yet to come? ;)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
@Teran: On the other hand I bet the Ardat Yakshi will target obnoxious internet trolls and nerds. And they'll be wiped out for hundreds of years by the time a justicar gets here.

EDIT: Also, I hate to be a negative nancy, but intelligent life took ages to form on good ol' Earf. Even if that planet is perfect for carbon-based life and on the right chain of events for life to occur, we could be millions (or billions) of years either ahead or behind of the sweet spot where life exists on their planet. Unless they're less ****headish than humans; then they'll probably survive the long haul, but the odds still favor the life cycles of our separate worlds being in synch.

Still, it's quite an interesting discovery. I've always loved things like this, since I was a kid.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
People are saying how it's impossible to reach these planets in a short time, due to speed of light issues and what not. What about wormholes? Couldn't they be used as short cuts?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People are saying how it's impossible to reach these planets in a short time, due to speed of light issues and what not. What about wormholes? Couldn't they be used as short cuts?
Wormholes are theoretically possible, but require a type of energy that humans can't create in large supply and even if they could, the wormhole would be unstable.

Scientists theorize if we COULD create a wormhole, it would dissipate the second someone tries to enter it

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wormholes are theoretically possible, but require a type of energy that humans can't create in large supply and even if they could, the wormhole would be unstable.

Scientists theorize if we COULD create a wormhole, it would dissipate the second someone tries to enter it
Point made, but it's still a possibility nonetheless. I imagine mastering such technology wouldn't be possible until maybe 3500... maybe later than that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is a saying that if a scientist believes something is true - it probably is

But if he believes it's false - it's probably is still true

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
There is a saying that if a scientist believes something is true - it probably is

But if he believes it's false - it's probably is still true
As the saying goes, anything can happen. I mean, I may not believe in everything I hear, but when proof arises on whatever I see with a skeptical view, I won't be surprised by its existence.

Did I word that right? I'm still working the booze outta my system. x____X

D

Deleted member

special relativity dictates that the travellers would not take 600 years to reach such a location. yes from earth it looks like they took 600 years, and travelling back and forth would advance earth by 1200years, but for the travellers not even 1 year would have passed.

n space, you don't continually use fuel. You get up to a speed then drift without slowing down.
this is kind of false though.
1) it would still take a humongous amount of fuel to get near lightspeed velocities
2) the few particles that do float around in space will slow you down significantly at those speeds.
(not to mention that they would also radiate humans way more than is comfortable)

Top Bottom