• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"We just love being mean!" - The Koopalings invade Smash 4

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aww yeah! Shofu showin' dat Larry respect!
Yeah, he is! Heck, Larry's match with Shulk also seems to be the first match that I've personally seen someone play that was a "serious" match and that the match wasn't a 4-way Koopaling match.(Not that I don't LOVE those matches though!)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Sweet videos! I especially liked the second and third ones. I'm not really sure about anything, but it would appear that the Koopaling's down smash is really powerful, and that their forward smash has deceptive range. But, no Iggy or Lemmy love? Iggy's my favorite... That Mecha Koopa looks like its gonna be awesome! Lots of traps and setups are gonna come out of that thing.
Totally off-topic, but I love that Rainbow Road stage and Xander Mobus's voice!

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Yeah, he is! Heck, Larry's match with Shulk also seems to be the first match that I've personally seen someone play that was a "serious" match and that the match wasn't a 4-way Koopaling match.(Not that I don't LOVE those matches though!)
Man, every match I see just makes me want to play more. I mean, the demo is great and all, but nothing can compare to the goon-squad maining.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sweet videos! I especially liked the second and third ones. I'm not really sure about anything, but it would appear that the Koopaling's down smash is really powerful, and that their forward smash has deceptive range. But, no Iggy or Lemmy love? Iggy's my favorite... That Mecha Koopa looks like its gonna be awesome! Lots of traps and setups are gonna come out of that thing.
Totally off-topic, but I love that Rainbow Road stage and Xander Mobus's voice!
First off, Thanks! and yeah, I noticed it too, no love for Iggy OR Lemmy...:sadeyes: Oh, well. I'm sure someone will upload some gameplay of them soon. If I remember correctly, GameXplain did a gameplay video on ALL Koopalings, so check it out once you get a chance.:) Also, it looks like the Jr. Koopa Clown Car will be tons of fun!

Man, every match I see just makes me want to play more. I mean, the demo is great and all, but nothing can compare to the goon-squad maining.
I know right?! It's totally the same with me! All this makes me want to main them even more than before!:colorful:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

That.

That was ALL the Koopalings got in previous Smash entries. A sticker of Ludwig. Nothing more.

And now look where they're at. Alts with their own announcer clips and art.

The Koopalings sure have come a long way. Not to mention come back a long way as well.

Just like Bowser, they'll always find a way to return from the abyss.

:4larry: :4morton: :4wendy: :4iggy: :4roy: :4lemmy: :4ludwig:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

That.

That was ALL the Koopalings got in previous Smash entries. A sticker of Ludwig. Nothing more.

And now look where they're at. Alts with their own announcer clips and art.

The Koopalings sure have come a long way. Not to mention come back a long way as well.

Just like Bowser, they'll always find a way to return from the abyss.

:4larry: :4morton: :4wendy: :4iggy: :4roy: :4lemmy: :4ludwig:
I.......I...............I just....I just couldn't agree more, my friend.:estatic: The Koopalings have truly.......returned........from the abyss.:sadeyes: Just....thank you, Sakurai. I mean I'm still a little peeved on not getting a Rhythm Heaven or a Pilot Wings rep, Mewtwo, or Bandana Waddle Dee, but like I said a page or two back, Bowser Jr., the Koopalings, and Duck Hunt are a few of the things that saved this roster for me. If it wasn't for them, God forbid, I probably would not want this game. Heck, I'm such a fan of the Koopalings, that I don't care what Miyamoto declares. Until I see some new, official, relationship, or he himself officially confirms that they are blood-related again, I don't care if anyone corrects me, Headcanon or not, I'm still considering Ludwig, Lemmy, Roy, Iggy, Wendy, Morton Jr., and Larry all as Bowser's CHILDREN, and that Bowser Jr. is their little brother. Fine, call me out on it, but until I see a new relation between them, (that doesn't simply make them his "simple minons") or that Miyamoto himself says they're a family again, I'm still saying those are Bowser's kids and that 8 (including Jr.) of them are blood-related. I'm sorry if I'm sounding a little too intense here, I'm just a little annoyed on how Nintendo suddenly makes such a big decision like that to say they're not his kids anymore. I'd rather have at least one "minion" have a relationship with Bowser (that's not so freaking obivious.:4bowserjr:Don't get me wrong, I love Jr.. I'm just annoyed with how they treated the Koopalings like that.) (on a side note, I also consider Boom Boom and Pom Pom his nephew and niece.:p)

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Agreed 101%. The Koopalings will always be Bowser's kids to me, and Bowser Jr. their little bro., regardless of what Miyamoto says. I love the guy and his games to death, but I just can't accept that.
Also, funny you should say that you think Boom Boom and Pom Pom are nephew and niece, because Bowser said in Mario Party: Island Tour that Dry Bowser (the separate entity) was a "close family friend." So, could it be that Boom Boom and Pom Pom are Dry Bowser's kids? Could there be five other boys and a sixth little bro. living at Dry Bowser's castle? Does such a place even exist? If so, where? Join us next time to find out! *Leaves to brainstorm ideas*

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Agreed 101%. The Koopalings will always be Bowser's kids to me, and Bowser Jr. their little bro., regardless of what Miyamoto says. I love the guy and his games to death, but I just can't accept that.
Also, funny you should say that you think Boom Boom and Pom Pom are nephew and niece, because Bowser said in Mario Party: Island Tour that Dry Bowser (the separate entity) was a "close family friend." So, could it be that Boom Boom and Pom Pom are Dry Bowser's kids? Could there be five other boys and a sixth little bro. living at Dry Bowser's castle? Does such a place even exist? If so, where? Join us next time to find out! *Leaves to brainstorm ideas*
Finally! Someone who agrees with me! I'm not trying to start a flame war, my personal preference is simply that the Koopalings ARE Bowser's kids until I hear of some new relationship between them.

Hey guys..................LEMMY GAMEPLAY, BABY!!!
Now all we need is Iggy............:smirk:

Also:

Last edited by a moderator:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey, don't know if anyone knows this yet, but, apparently, if an attack hits the Jr. Clown Car, it only deals 0.88x damage, but if it hits the Koopaling him/herself, it deals 1.15x damage. I dunno, just thought I'd put it out there cause I thought it was a nice gameplay element. Makes 'em more fun to play as =].

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, don't know if anyone knows this yet, but, apparently, if an attack hits the Jr. Clown Car, it only deals 0.88x damage, but if it hits the Koopaling him/herself, it deals 1.15x damage. I dunno, just thought I'd put it out there cause I thought it was a nice gameplay element. Makes 'em more fun to play as =].
Hey guys, does anyone know if the Koopalings have their own "personalized" cheers from the audience? Or do they share Jr.'s?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey guys, does anyone know if the Koopalings have their own "personalized" cheers from the audience? Or do they share Jr.'s?
They do. I heard Morton's japanese one in a stream once (It was just "MORTON! MORTON! MORTON!" )

and sources say/confirmed that Roy's english one is Roy's our boy.

I'm assuming Alph does too, although I don't have any source on that.

It makes me glad, cuz it makes them feel like their own character, despite sharing a moveset.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
They do. I heard Morton's japanese one in a stream once (It was just "MORTON! MORTON! MORTON!" )

and sources say/confirmed that Roy's english one is Roy's our boy.

I'm assuming Alph does too, although I don't have any source on that.

It makes me glad, cuz it makes them feel like their own character, despite sharing a moveset.
NO WAY! SERIOUSLY?! (I mean for Roy, of course.) If that's the case, I can't imagine all the Fire Emblem fanfolks out there now...:4roy::troll:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just remembered something...Last year, around the summer of 2013, Masahiro Sakurai had an interview with IGN and the interview went as usual, and near the end, Sakurai asked the interviewer something interesting...What characters would the interviewer like to see in Smash, and the interviewer said that for 3rd-Party characters, they'd like to see PAC-MAN, in his ORIGINAL appearance, no less. And for Nintendo characters, they said.......the KOOPALINGS. Sakurai even made a joke on how that'd be a little hard to work on. But he still made it work in the end, no less. So maybe we have someone to thank for their inclusion? HMMMMMMMMMMMM?????:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Hey guys, I just remembered something...Last year, around the summer of 2013, Masahiro Sakurai had an interview with IGN and the interview went as usual, and near the end, Sakurai asked the interviewer something interesting...What characters would the interviewer like to see in Smash, and the interviewer said that for 3rd-Party characters, they'd like to see PAC-MAN, in his ORIGINAL appearance, no less. And for Nintendo characters, they said.......the KOOPALINGS. Sakurai even made a joke on how that'd be a little hard to work on. But he still made it work in the end, no less. So maybe we have someone to thank for their inclusion? HMMMMMMMMMMMM?????:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:
And then Sakurai ignored requests for Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool.

I think it's a happy coincidence.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Finally got to play Smash 4 today!:colorful: I even unlocked Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings with Bowser!:colorful: I think when it come to playing as the Koopalings themselves, I'll be "maining" Larry, if I'm not playing as Bowser Jr. Don't worry though, I'll still play as the others, just not as much as my favorites, Bowser Jr. and Larry. BTW, I played as :4bowserjr:in Smash Run and :4larry:in Classic Mode. Sadly, I didn't get to finish with Larry because the 3DS died on me.:crying: Still, had a lot of fun though!:chuckle:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just realized something...

We should petition the site to replace :roypm: with :4roy: on the banner, now that SSB43DS has been released in all regions. And I much rather prefer the latter character over the former anyway.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I just realized something...

We should petition the site to replace :roypm: with :4roy: on the banner, now that SSB43DS has been released in all regions. And I much rather prefer the latter character over the former anyway.
I agree.

In other news, I now have SSB4 and have unlocked Larry! I am ashamed to admit I lost the first battle due to having no idea what I was doing...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, does anyone know how to list one of the Koopalings as one of your mains in your avatar? I'm thinking of listing Larry.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, does anyone know how to get the Koopalings' trophies? I tried at least finishing Classic with Larry and I got Bowser Jr.'s trophy instead. (Not to say I was disappointed or anything.) BTW, why is the Koopalings thread unstickied? It made it a lot easier for me to look for this thread without having to look for it a while. (I hope I'm not sounding lazy or anything) Also, on a personal note, I feel sort of strong on counting the Koopalings as separate fighters from Jr., so this is bugging me a bit.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Hey, does anyone know how to get the Koopalings' trophies? I tried at least finishing Classic with Larry and I got Bowser Jr.'s trophy instead. (Not to say I was disappointed or anything.) BTW, why is the Koopalings thread unstickied? It made it a lot easier for me to look for this thread without having to look for it a while. (I hope I'm not sounding lazy or anything) Also, on a personal note, I feel sort of strong on counting the Koopalings as separate fighters from Jr., so this is bugging me a bit.
I don't think it's fair to count the Koopalings as separate fighters since they all share the same moveset.

As for getting their swagging trophies, they're unlocked in the same way you get any trophy: either buying it or unlocking it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't think it's fair to count the Koopalings as separate fighters since they all share the same moveset.

As for getting their swagging trophies, they're unlocked in the same way you get any trophy: either buying it or unlocking it.
Oh, really? Until you mentioned how to do it, I just thought maybe I had to complete something special with all 7 of them, or at least get them all to do Classic or All Star. Thank goodness I didn't waste my time trying. (I'm still going to do it, though.:awesome::p:))

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Speaking of Koopaling Trophies...

The information stated in the very first sentence in Larry's Trophy description was quite a surprise to me! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Speaking of Koopaling Trophies...

The information stated in the very first sentence in Larry's Trophy description was quite a surprise to me! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

You can put it in a spoiler or something, but please, do tell me.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I was originally going to just put it in a Spoiler Tag, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. (I'm still relatively new here.) So I'll just tell you on your profile page instead.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I would say :4larry:'s trophy brings a new glory to him as the true best koopaling...

but then I remember Smash trophy descriptions are about as reliable as a fox with a chicken.
The description came as quite a shock. I always imagined. Ludwig was the leader, being the (supposedly) oldest, but it's totally cool if Larry's leader. He's fought first, and apparently has an aggressive personality, so maybe that's the thinking behind it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would say :4larry:'s trophy brings a new glory to him as the true best koopaling...

but then I remember Smash trophy descriptions are about as reliable as a fox with a chicken.
The description came as quite a shock. I always imagined. Ludwig was the leader, being the (supposedly) oldest, but it's totally cool if Larry's leader. He's fought first, and apparently has an aggressive personality, so maybe that's the thinking behind it.
Actually guys, I hate to be "that guy", and be the bearer of bad news, but apparently I heard that Larry's trophy description was a mis-translation and Ludwig is still the leader. However, I'm beginning to hear things like if this was NOT an error, Ludwig has also been said to be promoted to some sort of "special position" in the Koopa Troop now, so maybe that's why Larry is officially said to be the leader of the Koopalings.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Actually guys, I hate to be "that guy", and be the bearer of bad news, but apparently I heard that Larry's trophy description was a mis-translation and Ludwig is still the leader. However, I'm beginning to hear things like if this was NOT an error, Ludwig has also been said to be promoted to some sort of "special position" in the Koopa Troop now, so maybe that's why Larry is officially said to be the leader of the Koopalings.
Ludwig's been might have promoted? What? Does that mean he might not be a Koopaling anymore? Of course, I seriously doubt he not a Koopaling any longer, regardless of promotion, but I can't help but wonder. If he has been promoted, that's awesome. It adds more flavor to the Koopaling's personality and individuality.
Oh, and @ BlueZard BlueZard -I don't know why I didn't post this before, but the way you spoiler something is ["spoiler"], without the quotation marks, at the start of your text, then write your text, and then ["/spoiler"], without the quotation marks, at the end of your text.
Happy spoiler-ing :)!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....................Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! The Koopalings/Koopa Kids also play a big role in the trailer!:colorful: YAY!:colorful: It's so epic, I almost had a fangasm! Yeah...That extraordinary......:colorful:

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The way I interpreted the trophy description was that Larry was the leader of the army of common enemies like Goombas and Koopas, with Ludwig being the leader of the Koopalings and other high ranked partners.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! I know I haven't been here in quite some time, so I'm glad to be back! So listen, if anyone out happens to have the Wii U version of Smash 4, I don't suppose there are any certain parts of the parts of the game that treat the Koopalings as their own characters?

Top Bottom