• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Like IKE! Or do we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People obviously haven't played Radiant Dawn. Everyone looks at least a little different in the game in comparison to their Path of Radiance appearances, as it is a sequel and set a few years after that game. Sucks that some people missed out on the brilliant Tellius series.
This is exactly my thoughts on the matter.

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
We should not assume that the words a few japanese people are representative of the whole population there were plenty of fools on ign that kept saying OMG ROIDS! plus japan is the same place that brought of DBZ were even toddlers have six packs

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So does this mean Japan finally has a counterpart to our Martha jokes? >_>

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
There is no problem. Ike (apparently) = gorilla. Gorilla = awesome. So, this Ike is awesome.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People obviously haven't played Radiant Dawn. Everyone looks at least a little different in the game in comparison to their Path of Radiance appearances, as it is a sequel and set a few years after that game. Sucks that some people missed out on the brilliant Tellius series.
I agree. The Tellius saga are one of the best Fire Emblem games I've ever played and it made me sad to know that that game didn't do very well. No wonder why Intelligent Systems almost stopped doing FE games. I think that this one is an underrated jewel.

We should not assume that the words a few japanese people are representative of the whole population there were plenty of fools on ign that kept saying OMG ROIDS! plus japan is the same place that brought of DBZ were even toddlers have six packs
Indeed. I took a look at that link and out of 300 commenters, there are only like 12 who mentioned the word gorilla. This isn't even newsworthy but leave it to Kotaku to try to make a big deal out of something so uneventful.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really hope for the re-release of the Tellius Saga. Cause wow, am playing through Radiant Dawn again and this game is just so damn good! But, it almost feels as if the developers where ambitious enough to make the game even bigger than it already is. And that's why I want a remake so badly.

Hope they expand the ammount of chapters even better, and create better character balance and availability. Part 2 could be made much longer for example, as well as adding a few more chapters where you play as Micaiah and the Dawn Brigade in Part 3, speaking, Part 3 could be longer in general! Ike and the Greil Mercenaries could easily get some more chapters to, cause they do fight in the meanwhile when you control Micaiah. Also: supports! And more paired endings!

Anyway, hope that Ike now being a Smash veteran will have this influence on the main series of Fire Emblem. The series is too good to die now. And considering Marth's influence in Smash cause the remakes of FE1 and FE3, I really hope the same happens with Ike and FE9 and FE10.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I don't get Japan's culture.

I also don't get the United States' culture.

Or India's.

I'm a severe misanthrope is what I'm trying to say. Also people are dumb.
I understand Canada's culture.
Probably because I live there.
...Maple Syrup 4 Dayz.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I loved the way Ike looked actually because the fact that he didn't look that manly but sounded and felt manly made things interesting. Now he seriously looks like an animal, which suits him, yes, but not interesting anymore.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I loved the way Ike looked actually because the fact that he didn't look that manly but sounded and felt manly made things interesting. Now he seriously looks like an animal, which suits him, yes, but not interesting anymore.
Um, no he doesn't... He looks like a strong warrior.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Um, no he doesn't... He looks like a strong warrior.
Yes he does look like one, i'm just telling that he looks too beefy. I'd like to see old slim Ike back actually, he was a strong warrior too, with a cute look.

Now he is a strong warrior with a strong warrior look, nothing interesting here.

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
I honestly really like Ike's new model, he looks more rugged and experienced in battle.

Last edited:

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
The new Ike looks great! I don't much understand the rage, he's the same character, just a new model, maybe a few tweeks, of course, he might have new moves altogether... I'm kind of hoping not. But I think he looks a lot more rugged and experienced in battle, although that was probably the point. I cannot wait to play Ike, although it will not be often and not competitively, but I will have no less fun with him. #WeLikeIke

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I honestly really like Ike's new model, he looks more rugged and experienced in battle.
i am open to any ideas, though i still think being a strong warrior while looking like a casual guy is far more interesting than being a strong warrior while looking like a strong warrior.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Their reactions aren't as bad as the Western reaction though. But they're close.

Kinda surprising, considering Fire Emblem is (supposed) to have a big fanbase in Japan. Maybe Radiant Dawn didn't do as well as other entries? I forgot.

Gotta agree on one comment -he looks like Street Fighter's Ryu-

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Ike got ripped in 4 weeks thanks to fighting for his friends.

I like the new one a lot, but what he has on in Brawl looks comfy to me for some reason.

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
i am open to any ideas, though i still think being a strong warrior while looking like a casual guy is far more interesting than being a strong warrior while looking like a strong warrior.
People age, that's what happens, he looks 16 in Brawl, just like he did of that game of the time. He looks 23 in this one coz thats how he looks in the most recent game, Fire Emblem has slightly realistic timeline when it comes to aging.... except for when it comes to Marth, he makes no kinda sense ever.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
People age, that's what happens, he looks 16 in Brawl, just like he did of that game of the time. He looks 23 in this one coz thats how he looks in the most recent game, Fire Emblem has slightly realistic timeline when it comes to aging.... except for when it comes to Marth, he makes no kinda sense ever.
Okay if that's how it has been in games :)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I personally prefer the old design's hair and face for Fire Emblem, it fits better with his character imo, but something about it just doesn't translate well to 3D unless it's heavily stylized like it is in the Path of Radiance cutscenes. For Smash the new design is infinitely better, especially considering how hard he hits. I also just like the outfit better in general, he's armored in steel now, and his cape looks so much better, not to mention he got rid of the half-bra.

So yeah, vastly prefer the new design in Smash.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Smash 4 because he looks like he could lift that sword with one hand, while in Brawl....eh. With his new design, I hope he is faster.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The scales have most certainly been tipped. With the inclusion of both Robin and Lucina, I wonder how much of an impact this has on Ike as a starter/unlockable.

Marth, at this point, is firmly believed to be a starter. Characters with similar or identical movesets, if I recall correctly, seem to have a history of being unlockables to characters that played similarly to them (i.e. Fox and Falco). Lucina could be an unlockable. That leaves both Robin and Ike; since I do not see three Fire Emblem characters as starters nor as unlockables, it may be 50/50 for the latter two.

^-^

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm thinking that maybe the starting rosters are different per version. Robin is a starter on 3DS (the customizable tactician has ONLY been on handhelds to date, anyway), and Ike is a starter on Wii U. Lucina is unlockable in both versions, naturally, due to being a clone. Marth has appeared on both and is the face of the series, plus he's on the boxart, he's definitely a starter.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm thinking that maybe the starting rosters are different per version. Robin is a starter on 3DS (the customizable tactician has ONLY been on handhelds to date, anyway), and Ike is a starter on Wii U. Lucina is unlockable in both versions, naturally, due to being a clone. Marth has appeared on both and is the face of the series, plus he's on the boxart, he's definitely a starter.
That's a cool theory! Not sure I've heard things like this suggested before.

I wonder how we could extrapolate your theory onto other franchises... it wouldn't always work. Not every franchise has 2 newcomers, so it's hard to say if there could be a pattern, or even if this is likely. Even so, it would be kind of cool! I'm not sure why, exactly, but I like it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's a cool theory! Not sure I've heard things like this suggested before.

I wonder how we could extrapolate your theory onto other franchises... it wouldn't always work. Not every franchise has 2 newcomers, so it's hard to say if there could be a pattern, or even if this is likely. Even so, it would be kind of cool! I'm not sure why, exactly, but I like it.
It wouldn't work for every franchise. One possibility, though, is Lucas being a starter on 3DS, Ness on Wii U. Dedede starter on 3DS, Metaknight on Wii U.

I don't get the idea about two newcomers, though...? What's that have to do with certain characters being starters or unlockable per version? Characters switch being starters to unlockable between games. Part of the idea stemmed from the demos having different characters per version.

Hong

The Strongest
Ike and Boyd in Radiant Dawn... Embarrass

For all the teasing Marth gets, he's bulkier in Smash 4 than a lot of JRPG protagonists.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I think one thing people may be overlooking is the difficulty of putting characters of all sorts into smash bros. What i mean specifically is, how to proportion them when there's so many different characters.

If anyone hasn't noticed, the height of human characters like ZSS and Ike are quite off from what they should be. They are about 5.5 heads tall, which is borderline "normal" for a male. Actually 5.5 heads is a little short for a male; it makes sense for females (although not ZSS because Samus is supposed to be tall). The reason being is that there are a lot of short/round non-realistic characters like Mario and such, so it seems they've opted to keep proportions of all characters closer to each other (by making a character like Ike shorter but bigger, he's not as thin and his head is bigger which makes characters like Mario look more normal).

Especially if you compare Ike in SSB4 to the Ike in Radiant Dawn, that is probably why the Japanese are calling him a gorilla. In his design in Radiant Dawn, his proportions were well balanced and made more sense. He was tall (very tall, like 7 or 7.5 heads!) and muscular, but because he was tall and big, he looked better. In Smash he's short for a male human while still being really bulky so it looks quite awkward, making him look like a gorilla. I mean, look at the size of his torso and arms compared to his waist. Taking that into consideration along with him being short, he does look weird and has the proportions of a gorilla if you look closely.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I think one thing people may be overlooking is the difficulty of putting characters of all sorts into smash bros. What i mean specifically is, how to proportion them when there's so many different characters.

If anyone hasn't noticed, the height of human characters like ZSS and Ike are quite off from what they should be. They are about 5.5 heads tall, which is borderline "normal" for a male. Actually 5.5 heads is a little short for a male; it makes sense for females (although not ZSS because Samus is supposed to be tall). The reason being is that there are a lot of short/round non-realistic characters like Mario and such, so it seems they've opted to keep proportions of all characters closer to each other (by making a character like Ike shorter but bigger, he's not as thin and his head is bigger which makes characters like Mario look more normal).

Especially if you compare Ike in SSB4 to the Ike in Radiant Dawn, that is probably why the Japanese are calling him a gorilla. In his design in Radiant Dawn, his proportions were well balanced and made more sense. He was tall (very tall, like 7 or 7.5 heads!) and muscular, but because he was tall and big, he looked better. In Smash he's short for a male human while still being really bulky so it looks quite awkward, making him look like a gorilla. I mean, look at the size of his torso and arms compared to his waist. Taking that into consideration along with him being short, he does look weird and has the proportions of a gorilla if you look closely.
Ike is supposed to be 179 cm which mean, and 179 isn't that tall...but I get your point, maybe they just want to make the Hitboxes the same, but he does look badass, and he doesn't look like a gorilla!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ike is supposed to be 179 cm which mean, and 179 isn't that tall...but I get your point, maybe they just want to make the Hitboxes the same, but he does look badass, and he doesn't look like a gorilla!
Ugh, this is the stupidest thing. Ike doesn't look ANYTHING like a gorilla. Seriously. I don't know why people bring it up. He just looks badass, like the rest of the FE cast in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom