• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We need to figure out tripping

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
I played this game for about 7:30 hours last night at a friends house (via illegal methods im not allowed to discuss here). none the less, I got to play it for a while.

Something I noticed was that tripping doesnt seem random at all. There was one specific person who was playing who had it happen to them a lot more than it was happening to anyone. some people, it never happened to. it happened to me only about 5 times over that whole time, but to our other friend, it was 2 or 3 a match. it is obviously a response to SOMETHING and i think it can be reproduced.

-it seems to have something to do with sudden changes in direction
-it may effect certain characters more than others
-it could depend on the surface youre running on
-it can happen when you do a forward smash.
-one friend could dash dance for a period of time with out tripping (as kirby)

it hasnt felt like its a game breaking thing, even if it is completely random but i think i need more time with it before i can tell you if thats for sure or not.

blackninjaforevr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beefsloth
3DS FC
2681-2164-1047
"There was one specific person who was playing who had it happen to them a lot more than it was happening to anyone. some people, it never happened to. it happened to me only about 5 times over that whole time, but to our other friend, it was 2 or 3 a match."

That sounds completely random to me... >.>

shanus

Smash Hero
"There was one specific person who was playing who had it happen to them a lot more than it was happening to anyone. some people, it never happened to. it happened to me only about 5 times over that whole time, but to our other friend, it was 2 or 3 a match."

That sounds completely random to me... >.>
No it doesn't, it means that whatever that person was doing, they were able to constantly induce a trip. So whatever that friend did needs to be figured out haha

blackninjaforevr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beefsloth
3DS FC
2681-2164-1047
W/e, I think it's random and it will probably stay random, I hope someone figures out how to do it, but I doubt it will ever happen. The videos I've watched from the 3 competitive topics have shown that it is completely random and happens maybe once or twice a match to someone, and other times it doesn't happen at all, which means it is random.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy or anything, I just think it was programmed to be random and this isn't something we can glitch to our advantage anytime we want.

S2

Smash Lord
Well I've heard (from Oni's reports and vids I believe) that mis-timing a dashdance can cause you to trip.

I'm sure over time we'll figure our every method that causes tripping. What no one has commented on yet, is whether the Ink drop (or whatever its being called) works. No one has mentioned it yet.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Yes that would be good to know how to do. Btw are dash dancing and L-canceling (the L canceling from fast falling as Gimpy said was in at E for all demo) really removed completely?

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
AFAIK Tripping happens when change of speed/momentum is "too quick".

To understand it watch a player dash dancing in melee and how sometime they might make errors and slightly jump so slide if mistimed.

In brawl that mistiming becomes "tripping" making any tactic of changing direction/momentum very tight on handling. Strangely, the timing seems like an odd place for it...Its not the first few frames...nor is it the last...it SEEMS to be in the middle of sorts for most dashes to get tripping...

Regardless tripping hurts because whatever you WERE doing is stopped and your varnable to attacks....At least you can roll out of it...

Thats all I've noticed on it anyway...

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
Yes that would be good to know how to do. Btw are dash dancing and L-canceling (the L canceling from fast falling as Gimpy said was in at E for all demo) really removed completely?
dash dancing is def in. my kirby friend did it for a solid 10 seconds with out tripping. however, it is harder. i havnt figured out the exact details, but i think you just have to do it faster. i dont think it will be as useful as it was in melee.

im going to play again tonight and there will be less people around. ill have a chance to really test out some stuff and ill test the fast falling = l canceling thing.

anything else i should test?

also note: jump cancel grabs are out.

now fancy seeing you here, ninya ;) If you do figure out a way to do it more clearly then let us know.
o whats up inferno.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Are we able to do that "slow turn around" in Melee where you were running in one direction and tried to run in the other direction, but slowly turned around instead of instantaneously changing directions like you meant to? I'm guessing tripping replaced that, but I haven't seen any videos of tripping nor a slow turn.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
ill try and get a video of me playing with this stuff later tonight. i should be heading over to my friends house in (hopefully) about 2:30 hours. (7 pm east...ya, i dont give a **** about the super bowl)

Zek

Smash Ace
lol, if anything it sounds to me like tripping makes the gameplay more technical. Of course people complain about it anyway though.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's more of a "screwing up a dash" so says other people. This is truly a useless game mechanic though.
this maybe true, but sometimes its good to know what NOT to do. if you can avoid tripping by knowing how it works, then it isnt useless information.

Top Bottom