• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We need Waveland Fireball

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Luigi's fireballs range from situational to pretty bad.
Luigi's approach is awful.

Why should Wolf, who already has everything going for him, get to waveland his blaster? Let Luigi actually take advantage of that lingering hitbox.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I've heard/read a lot of really stupid suggestions about what Luigi needs, but I actually really like this idea, basically his fireballs' IASA frames just need to be earlier.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
luigi's approach isnt total garbage. Its true that his poor dash attack limits him to only approaching with down special, but in all respect I think that waveland fireball would be slightly over-centralizing to a character that takes a lot of skill to use.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
He has more approach options than just cyclone, you can also approach with fireballs, aerials, WD>ftilt, WD>dsmash, etc.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
More options wouldn't reduce the skill it takes to use him. Fireballs would still be pretty weak, and it wouldn't centralize his gameplay. They would go from situational novelty to actual option.

Donyoku

Greed
I have seen high support for this in other threads I definitely support it, since it will just give a much needed option to Luigi fireball game.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I don't think Luigi needs this buff at all. The main point used was that Wolf has it so why shouldn't Luigi have it? Luigi getting a waveland out of projectile is much better than Wolf. With Wolf's you can block or stub the projectile before Wolf can approach with most of his kit except dash attack, which is predictable.
With this proposed tech, Luigi could reach them anytime before or after his projectile meets the enemy. The only way this could work is if they reduce the range on his fireball altogether. I personally would not like this because I use fireballs to take up space in low on mid ground so I can cover space in the neutral game. Luigi's fireball covers many options and has a lot of uses, not sure where this "situational" chatter is coming from.
This buff would be OP for Luigi is my point.

P.S. I think Luigi's neutral and approach game are perfect where they are with as many options Luigi has out of WD.

Last edited:

Donyoku

Greed
I don't think Luigi needs this buff at all. The main point used was that Wolf has it so why shouldn't Luigi have it? Luigi getting a waveland out of projectile is much better than Wolf. With Wolf's you can block or stub the projectile before Wolf can approach with most of his kit except dash attack, which is predictable.
With this proposed tech, Luigi could reach them anytime before or after his projectile meets the enemy. The only way this could work is if they reduce the range on his fireball altogether. I personally would not like this because I use fireballs to take up space in low on mid ground so I can cover space in the neutral game. Luigi's fireball covers many options and has a lot of uses, not sure where this "situational" chatter is coming from.
This buff would be OP for Luigi is my point.

P.S. I think Luigi's neutral and approach game are perfect where they are with as many options Luigi has out of WD.
After hearing your argument I have to agree with you, I never truly saw it like that. I just felt Luigi's Fireballs really lack that versatility that Mario's have and I felt that his Fireballs need something I just don't know what exactly. Maybe a little less lag time I don't know honestly. I just have seen that with Mario's fireballs he has more options for zoning while Luigi's really fall short in that aspect. But without a doubt I will have to say wavelanding them will give a completely nonpunishable fireball game since he would be able to wavedash away after each fireball.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
For it to work out of a short hop you basically have to input the fireball immediately after you input the jump.

Donyoku

Greed
Yeah it works. I tried it. It's easier for me with tap jump on and the timing is tight but it can be done.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I use Y, I don't really think it's that hard, I was doing it consistently like within a few minutes of discovering it.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Waveland fireball is useless vs a good amount of the cast because they're short enough that they can just crouch or even standing they won't get hit.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Waveland fireball is useless vs a good amount of the cast because they're short enough that they can just crouch or even standing they won't get hit.
True and not true. Yes, for the purpose of hit comfirms, you're right. There's only so many that you can do that with. However, what many players don't realize is its combo potential. If you FBWL, you can plot a fire ball over head, do a FTilt, and continue the combo cause the person will hit the fire ball. All the sudden your poke is now a launcher. Just saying dawg.

Top Bottom