• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weak connection strength to Wii

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
My Wii is in the basement and my router upstairs, and the strength it has right now is beyond ****ty. I have to leave the Wii in the basement and the router upstairs.

Is there any devices that greatly enhance connection? Or do I need to buy another outer for the basement? Thanks.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
Comcast, SUREboard Motorola

its a fine router, for instance, this laptop i am on right now operates with no lag whatsoever on RTS's like Starcraft and World of Wwarcraft from over 50 feet away. If worse comes to worse will I just have to get a VERY long cable and direct connect it to the Wii? would that even work? thanks

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
ok thanks anyway. ill figure something out, was just looking for an easier way. i guess there isnt one

altir

Smash Apprentice
how well does your laptop work downstairs? because if it gets a good connection then you could get a nintendo wifi adapter, plug it into your laptop and hook your Wii to the internet throug the laptop.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
What about the Wii Wi-Fi USB Adapter? That's what I have...my Wii is in the basement and my computer is two floors above and the internet connection is great. It basically turns your PC's wired connection into a wireless connection for your Wii.

Buy it. :)

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
What about the Wii Wi-Fi USB Adapter? That's what I have...my Wii is in the basement and my computer is two floors above and the internet connection is great. It basically turns your PC's wired connection into a wireless connection for your Wii.

Awesome, thanks, i think i will try this

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
i guess production of the Wii Wi-Fi USB Adapter has been discontinued... i wonder why?
Yeah it's weird. It's a really good product. But just because they're been discontinued doesn't mean you can't buy one! Surprisingly, I bought mine just about a month ago...I walked to my local Gamestop and there were plenty, right by the Wii Points Cards and Classic Controllers.

Go to your local gamestop and see if they have any Wii Wi-Fi USB Adapters or call them and ask.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
Yeah it's weird. It's a really good product. But just because they're been discontinued doesn't mean you can't buy one! Surprisingly, I bought mine just about a month ago...I walked to my local Gamestop and there were plenty, right by the Wii Points Cards and Classic Controllers.

Go to your local gamestop and see if they have any Wii Wi-Fi USB Adapters or call them and ask.
Thanks again, 56k. I wonder if they will let me buy one during the midnight release

Riakou

Smash Apprentice
i got a direct connection, and i got no lag at all.. lol

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
does the direct connection thing acctual help cause i know internet connections seem to lag a lot more when used through the USB ports

Pyr0

Smash Ace
My Wii is in the basement and my router upstairs, and the strength it has right now is beyond ****ty. I have to leave the Wii in the basement and the router upstairs.

Is there any devices that greatly enhance connection? Or do I need to buy another outer for the basement? Thanks.
You can potentially Flash (make it uber stronger!) the router (depending on brand).

If you live in the US you have no problem, but I know that in some places in Europe having really strong wireless signal is illegal (nothing big, I heard its only a fine, no charges).

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
You can potentially Flash (make it uber stronger!) the router (depending on brand).

If you live in the US you have no problem, but I know that in some places in Europe having really strong wireless signal is illegal (nothing big, I heard its only a fine, no charges).
How do you do that? If it's allowed in the US, why dont' they just come flashed? What I mean is, what's the bad part about flashing it? O_o

Pyr0

Smash Ace
How do you do that? If it's allowed in the US, why dont' they just come flashed? What I mean is, what's the bad part about flashing it? O_o
- By using custom made Firmware (l33t hax0r programs).
- Its perfectly legal in the US
- They don't come flashed because companies like their hardware run less than 100%
- For a home with a single router there is no bad part.
- For a workstation where there are 2+ routers and only 1 is flashed, the flashed one can cause interference (faster ticks).

Give me the brand of your router (and type of model or something) and I will do some research if there is any custom Firmware out for it.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
My router is in my dad's office, and I use my Wii in the basement and I have a perfect connetction.
Wireless signals will never be identical in 2 different places.

You have to take into account lots of things.

Interference, Materials the signal has to go trough, Distance, Brand of the router, model, etc.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman

I bought one for the dorms since there's no wireless on my side of the campus and I can't get it to work. It detects my Wii and says it has a connection but the Wii won't get past the test connection. Did you have any poblems with yours?

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
what i use is the lan adapter it works extremly well i get a fast adn direct connection and no lag when i play games online!!!! except for sometimes so yaaaaaaaa but not often at all!!!

Legendary Angel

Smash Apprentice
My Wii is connected through a router (like 5 feet away, literally) and it runs the internet no worse than my comp does (which is fast). Can I safely assume that SSBB Wi-Fi will run just as well or is it a different story when it comes to connecting with other people?

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
- They don't come flashed because companies like their hardware run less than 100%
- For a workstation where there are 2+ routers and only 1 is flashed, the flashed one can cause interference (faster ticks).

Give me the brand of your router (and type of model or something) and I will do some research if there is any custom Firmware out for it.
is it something i need to buy?

Motorola

SB5120
SURFboard
Cable Modem

thanks!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I bought one for the dorms since there's no wireless on my side of the campus and I can't get it to work. It detects my Wii and says it has a connection but the Wii won't get past the test connection. Did you have any poblems with yours?
That's weird, I never had that problem :confused:

Maybe uninstall and then reinstall the program on your computer? I had a different problem once and I did that and it worked

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
That's weird, I never had that problem :confused:

Maybe uninstall and then reinstall the program on your computer? I had a different problem once and I did that and it worked
I'll give it a try when classes are over with and see how it goes. Wii Error.com didn't do much for me.

Mka

Smash Rookie
I have this magic device that is plugged into an outlet near my router and also has a lan cable connected the router to the device. Then in the room where I have my Wii I have the same device, with the same cable. And all I have to do is plug that cable into the LAN adaptor and all is good.

It gets the signal through the electricity or something. Majorly intense wizardry. Its called Air Link.

Meneks

Smash Lord

I hav e a2wire router....any info on that?

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice

Dlink
DI-624 (Rev C-2)

I hope there is a firmware out there cause I'm getting like orange signals in the room I'll be playing Brawl in.

Top Bottom