• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Can some one just tell me if Link can beat Samus?!
Yeah, so long as you don't let her get you off the stage; she's terribly good at gimping. Samus is actually one of the characters that got hit harder than Link; only C. Falco and Jiggs can be considered worse off.

Deva

Smash Lord
That's pretty much the inherent flaw with playing characters that aren't as good as other characters.

Welcome to the low tiers.

EDIT: Came off a little meaner than I thought. Let me rephrase.

I agree in that it's disappointing to be really good yet get whupped because your character sucks, but that's the inherent flaw of picking a character you like and only have them end up lower on the chain. It sucks, but eh, what're you going to do?
Let me rephrase what I meant. Sorta left out the point of my statement, XD. I mean, losing to or almost losing to someone not very good, just because of their character. I didn't mind it in melee, because the top tiers took a lot of skill to be good with. Losing to them wasn't dissapointing because that player had to have a certain level of skill to beat you. It's just stupid in Brawl. But anyways, Melee fo life.

So if you guys don't ask any questions I don't have much more to discuss, XD. I went into recovery. Anything else?

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Let me rephrase what I meant. Sorta left out the point of my statement, XD. I mean, losing to or almost losing to someone not very good, just because of their character. I didn't mind it in melee, because the top tiers took a lot of skill to be good with. Losing to them wasn't dissapointing because that player had to have a certain level of skill to beat you. It's just stupid in Brawl. But anyways, Melee fo life.

So if you guys don't ask any questions I don't have much more to discuss, XD. I went into recovery. Anything else?
How about dealing with characters that can outspam you? What about Falco?

L user

Smash Rookie
yeah i've been using link since the very beginning and i play a mix of projectile/smash. i usually throw bombs followed up by an arrow and only use the boomerang when the opponents are dashing at me. i love links up smash just like everyone else but his forward and up tilt are probably two of his best sword-based moves because of the reach and great juggling potential.

D

Deleted member

against falco

you CAN'T outspam him, trust me it will never be done

you CAN'T approach him, trust me you'll get chain grabbed

this is where link's AT's come in (zair, kara cancel, Gale Guarding, kara cancel bomb throw etc)

the only projectiles that are effective against this guy is the gb or bombs, if your playing style is to only spam, sorry, you lose lol. The only way to approach him is either with a full jumped fast falled nair (if you can get over his lasers) or kara cancel, and if he is quick with the lasers both of those approaches will fail

i can give you some good advice though

when he's chain grabbing you and he gets to the edge good falcos will either fthow you or uthrow you and then follow up with a dair or standing rar'd bair. you can DI both of those throws really easily, use your second jump to jump away (or over) the incoming attack and then zair edgeguard ftw. Falco's recovery might be as bad as link's :)

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Poor Link, takes some of the most tech skill in the game, one of the highest learning curves, and no matter what you do, you can still lose to a Snake that knows how to f-tilt out of shield, XD.

IDK, after all the tournaments I've been to, even though I've always placed well, it's never satisfying. I always have to work so much harder than my opponent to win. Wins with Link are never **** matches for me. Even playing some nub Snake, It's always 1 stock high percent. I just luckily trick them into getting hit by the killing blow first. My only gripe is that for how much skill it take to use Link, I wish it was more rewarding in how hard you beat your opponent. Even if I win, it just doesn't feel that great knowing I barely beat that nub Snake player along the way.
As long as you win, it doesn't matter. A win's a win. I have friends who main Mario, Wolf, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Marth, and Pit and its a rough battle most of the time. I keep my friends in check and I'm respected as a good Link player. Next step: the online smash community. Frankly, Link deserves more than what he has been given. I mean, he's the freakin hero of Hyrule! Sigh... if only Fierce Deity Link (from Majora's mask) was in Smash Bros. Wouldn't that be sweet? Even better than Toon Link...

P.S. I've stumbled across some technical difficulties trying to upload vids. But it's coming.

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
Poor Link, takes some of the most tech skill in the game, one of the highest learning curves, and no matter what you do, you can still lose to a Snake that knows how to f-tilt out of shield, XD.

IDK, after all the tournaments I've been to, even though I've always placed well, it's never satisfying. I always have to work so much harder than my opponent to win. Wins with Link are never **** matches for me. Even playing some nub Snake, It's always 1 stock high percent. I just luckily trick them into getting hit by the killing blow first. My only gripe is that for how much skill it take to use Link, I wish it was more rewarding in how hard you beat your opponent. Even if I win, it just doesn't feel that great knowing I barely beat that nub Snake player along the way.
I've never been to any big tournament or anything, I just do Wi-Fi, but whenever I beat a character that Link is at a disadvantage against, like Falco, it feels really good, and imagining the look on the other player's face is great. I like being able to win as Link, because it lets your opponents know that you're just that much better than them.

D

Deleted member

I've never been to any big tournament or anything, I just do Wi-Fi, but whenever I beat a character that Link is at a disadvantage against, like Falco, it feels really good, and imagining the look on the other player's face is great. I like being able to win as Link, because it lets your opponents know that you're just that much better than them.
QFT until you get 2 stocked by a sandbagging MK while you are trying :'(

link_goron

Smash Cadet
Deva i know what u mean about link in tourney matches or even regular. I've only participated in online tournies due to circumstances but even w/that in mind I lost to a spamming wolf player who wasn't that good. Oh i forgot, Snake too .Yeah i like playing w/Link and maining him but he just sucks hard in this game.

D

Deleted member

alright deva i have a question for you

what are your set ups for jab locking?

the only ones i know of are GB > jab lock or ftilt > jab lock (only works on green greens, corneria, and rainbow cruise because they have to bounce off of the wall first)

Deva

Smash Lord
I actually don't jab lock all that much when I play in tournament. It's just too much of a side note to pay attention to in a match. If I get a rang close up I'll go for it though. And as far as the vid. That Kirby was good. The Link was bad. End of story. Kirby relies on the grab at 0% to get his damage. If you avoid that grab and get hit by something else, you'll be fine. Even if you get hit, after that, Kirby has few options for racking any more damage on Link or killing him. That Link had not so great DI, didnt look out for the grab, and didn't pull a bomb or throw a rang while recovering it's no surprise he didn't do well.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I actually don't jab lock all that much when I play in tournament. It's just too much of a side note to pay attention to in a match. If I get a rang close up I'll go for it though. And as far as the vid. That Kirby was good. The Link was bad. End of story. Kirby relies on the grab at 0% to get his damage. If you avoid that grab and get hit by something else, you'll be fine. Even if you get hit, after that, Kirby has few options for racking any more damage on Link or killing him. That Link had not so great DI, didnt look out for the grab, and didn't pull a bomb or throw a rang while recovering it's no surprise he didn't do well.
HAHAHAHAHA

Kirby has many many ways to do damage my friend. Link or TL can't compete against a Kirby who knows how to use good shielding against projectiles. I'm not saying Kirby ***** Link but i dont think Link has it to keep up with Kirby.

And the video was just to show how bad Link's recovery is cuz i understand its not a good Link

The_RoyalJester

Smash Rookie
So I've got some beef with a couple of people who posted on here. There is a big difference in TL and Link's arrows. It might not be damage, but it is definitely in speed. Link's arrows travel faster the more you charge it unlike TL's. That in itself can be used to alter an opponent's course. Also no one talks about reflecting the GB off the ground as a double space control tactic. By doing this it keeps someone from dashing or from jumping over. As for Link's bombs, I don't know about TL's, they are very directional. Someone with a high percent will get blown away in the paths of a straight line away from where the bomb hits them. That's why bomb juggling is so fun, you never know when they'll just get blown off the map. And yes bomb juggling is possible, even on characters like ROB (I know because I've done it to a good ROB player).

Oddly enough ya'll (yes, I'm super southern) are focusing on Link's weak points. I agree with the mods and good Link players I've seen in here, we should be discussing how to avoid the edge and not how we always get killed by the edge. Personally I think people who main with other characters have p3n15 envy since they don't get items in non-item matches. LOL!

That's just my take, and I too am a Link main. And please don't laugh but my second is Peach and she's got some baller potential as well.

Addition: Some good qualities that come out of Link's high priority ATs is he can stop other projectiles with jabs. Like ROB's Gyro and Zelda's Bombs.

Deva

Smash Lord
HAHAHAHAHA

Kirby has many many ways to do damage my friend. Link or TL can't compete against a Kirby who knows how to use good shielding against projectiles. I'm not saying Kirby ***** Link but i dont think Link has it to keep up with Kirby.

And the video was just to show how bad Link's recovery is cuz i understand its not a good Link
And you my friend have never played a good Link or TL. spamming isnt't that important. it's the spacing. Get it? Kirby has none?

lol, jk. Kirby can space, but not against Link. AKA he has a sword. Kirby's also not very fast, so he has trouble approaching Link through the spam. Even if the Kirby's good, and shields/ avoids the projectiles, Link can still space him with zair and jabs as he approaches. I'm not saying it's impossible. Just not as much of a counter matchup as most people think, as in Link can keep up if anything.

and before you ask, I play T!mmy's kirby so yes I play good Kirbys and I usually win.

D

Deleted member

HAHAHAHAHA

Link CANT keep up with kirby, and kirby DOES **** link

its a freaking counter pick, you 2 stocking some Link doesnt prove anything and your "thoughts" on link have been known since brawl's release

go back to the kirby boards

Deva

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, I never got the whole counter pick thing. IMO it's an even match-up. And this is coming from me, the guy who thinks Link get's countered by 80% of the Brawl cast. Kirby is one of the few matchups where I don't have to rack my brains thinking of some strategy to get around his broken tilts, heavy weight that's impossible to kill, insane spam that you can't get through, or speed that get's in your face with high priority moves. Kirby doesn't have the makings of a Link counter pick. He's got a few combos on him, and a decent edge guard that is easily avoidable. i'm sorry, I'll post some vids later this summer but I just don't see what you guys are doing wrong. Just based on that vid, as long as your DIing, and pulling a bomb and throwing a rang while recovering, it shouldn't be much of a problem. From there just space jabs and zair on stage. Kirby isn't very fast, so spacing's pretty easy.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, I never got the whole counter pick thing. IMO it's an even match-up. And this is coming from me, the guy who thinks Link get's countered by 80% of the Brawl cast. Kirby is one of the few matchups where I don't have to rack my brains thinking of some strategy to get around his broken tilts, heavy weight that's impossible to kill, insane spam that you can't get through, or speed that get's in your face with high priority moves. Kirby doesn't have the makings of a Link counter pick. He's got a few combos on him, and a decent edge guard that is easily avoidable. i'm sorry, I'll post some vids later this summer but I just don't see what you guys are doing wrong. Just based on that vid, as long as your DIing, and pulling a bomb and throwing a rang while recovering, it shouldn't be much of a problem. From there just space jabs and zair on stage. Kirby isn't very fast, so spacing's pretty easy.
i have no idea what t!mmy is doing then because getting gimped by kirby's edge guarding is soooooo easy. seriously they all they have to do is rar a bair, if that misses they have 5 more jumps and 1 dair means a loss of stock. DI won't help you when you're getting hit by a lucky stomp

theres no reason spamming against a good kirby because most of link's projectiles are way too easy to power shield anyway and all they have to do is press B then down to have one of the most annoying attacks in the game if given to a multi jump character.

Deva i think you arent fighting an aggresive kirby like gonzo and that is the reason why you think kirby is so easy, even ask legan, when fighting an aggresive kirby (aka my brother) kirby is a *****

Deva

Smash Lord
Idk, T!mmy's Kirby trys to stay in my face as much as possible. And as long as you're spacing, Kirby can't knock you off the stage till higher percents. That's where if you DI, you'll rarely be in a position where he can even edge guard you. You'll usually be coming down from above if you DI the f-smash. Then even if you miss a DI or are in a position that he can edge guard you, just throw a rang while recovering. Again, I'll post some vids later this summer.

Legan

Smash Lord
Ive played pro kirbys as well and Id have to say that hes definately not a pushover. If the kirby is smart and knows how to aerial stall, than link is in for one tough fight.

Deva

Smash Lord
I don't mean he's a pushover or even an easy matchup for Link. I just think it's the closest thing Link has to an even matchup in the game since everyone else ***** him so hard.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when people post videos of them kicking some dumb*** player (as Link)'s butt.

ESPECIALLY when it's a "high tier" character. There should be no tiers, only judgment on how you play the game.

I'm not trying to hate, but don't hate on Link cuz he's sweeter than anyone of us. :-P

Skler

Smash Master
Meanwhile, Skler is regressing in Melee la-la land.

People are just starting to notice how stupidly imbalanced this game is.
I'd call playing Melee progressive. Anyways, Link is trashy in Brawl, but Brawl matches are usually close just because it's the nature of the game. My link can hang with good players, and I'll always be up for Link dittos (because those are fun no matter what game it is, even SC II), because Link is still Link. All it takes is a warm up game and playing brawl is nice and easy, mainly because the techs are actually pretty worthless.

You don't need any of the bull**** techs people are preaching about, Link will be bad regardless (I have a problem with that Link instruction vid, mostly because that jab **** doesn't work if your opponent DIs down and holds L, or just mashes L during the whole thing). You're better off not trying to do fancy stuff and stick with the things that work, like spacing with the aerial hookshot and fsmash. Link's game is as advanced as it will ever get unless some huge new technique is discovered, just learn the basics and use them. Better yet, go play Melee and look at Link's potential there. He stands a chance (sort of)!

There you go brawl link boards, that's your treat for the week.

Yadel16

Smash Cadet
Link is an over all solid character, but some of his bad match ups are with characters that are frequently used in tournaments but a good link player wouldn't do so bad against a character like Falco, all he'll have to do is play him right which is playing defensively and projectile spamming. We then look a character like Toon Link, Though it'll be necessary to stay cautious of his projectiles because his projectile game is Better Link's.

D

Deleted member

Link is an over all solid character, but some of his bad match ups are with characters that are frequently used in tournaments but a good link player wouldn't do so bad against a character like Falco, all he'll have to do is play him right which is playing defensively and projectile spamming. We then look a character like Toon Link, Though it'll be necessary to stay cautious of his projectiles because his projectile game is Better Link's.
no, not even close

the only solid characters are MK, and snake
Falco > TL
TL's spam is NOT better than Link's

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
no, not even close

the only solid characters are MK, and snake
Falco > TL
TL's spam is NOT better than Link's
There have been discussions about TL's spam vs. Link's spam in the past. And the general consensus has always gone to Toon Link.

Link's arrows are pretty gimicky, really only useful to add an extra 4% damage after some attacks. They have some situational uses, such as blowing up land mines, but they are practically a gimmick. TL's arrows move farther without as much charge, and are slower creating somewhat of a wall, putting more pressure on the opponent.

Link's bombs have more knockback and do like 1% more damage, but TL's bombs have more blast radius. Take your pick. I'd say there pretty even.

TL's boomerang does more damage. Both rangs interupt on the way back, either pulling the opponent or hitting them. So another "take your pick" here.

Overall I'd say TL's spam game is slightly better.

Arrows TL>Link
Bombs TL=Link
Rangs TL=Link

But lets not turn this thread into a debate about this. This should be discussed in depth in the projectile meta-game match-up guide.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I'd call playing Melee progressive. Anyways, Link is trashy in Brawl, but Brawl matches are usually close just because it's the nature of the game. My link can hang with good players, and I'll always be up for Link dittos (because those are fun no matter what game it is, even SC II), because Link is still Link.
You play Soul Calibur II also? I kick *** in that game w/Link (Rafael, Ivy, and Xianghua ftw). I can beat the extremely hard computer ( got guard impacting down to perfection). Anyway, in Brawl, the matches are almost always close when using Link. Except when playing noobs, lol.

Deva

Smash Lord
Actually Link's bombs are better than TL's. The do more damage, kill at lower percents, and I believe he can throw them further than TL can and they have a slightly larger blast radius. That last part isn't critical but if you watch videos of Smasher he takes advantage of that property in his gameplay almost to the point where he does it too much lol.

And as far as the rang, I think Link's might actually come out faster and do more damage. but due to the positive and negative effects of the rang's return flight, it evens out the usefullness of Link's and TL's rangs.

It's more like,

Arrows: TL>Link
Bombs: TL<Link
Rang: TL=Link

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah also, TL's projectiles are much slower than Links, so they are easier to dodge and hit back. Link's are much faster but TL's arrows go further than Link's. So, Dave, you got it right with
Arrows: TL>Link
Bombs: TL<Link
Rang: TL=Link

Good job! >_--

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Question

Does Gale Guarding work against Snake while he's mid-Cypher? I'm curious, since it'd make a big difference.

I'd test it but I don't have a second player to emulate it. It seems like with Snake dominating most tournaments that'd be a nice advantage to have.

Izaw

Smash Ace
Nah, doesn't really do too much of a diffrence. I'd rather just charge an arrow or Dair/Bair him.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Question

Does Gale Guarding work against Snake while he's mid-Cypher? I'm curious, since it'd make a big difference.

I'd test it but I don't have a second player to emulate it. It seems like with Snake dominating most tournaments that'd be a nice advantage to have.
no, it doesn't

also could a staff member unsticky this thread? it's full of *******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom