• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Matchup Discussion - Diddy Kong

Dyyne

Smash Ace
So, numbers then? IMO.....assuming it's good players on both ends, 55-45 diddy. The diddy really has to be on his toes and be smart with the bananas, and if so, that combined with his priority and gimping ability via throws puts this in his advantage.

And I play a diddy a LOT.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i'de have to say 60-40 olimar favor. after playing with black waltz at SNES and watching/copying how he does the diddy matchup, it made me go from losing to nearly consistent 2 stocks.
pick battlefield
as neutral if you can, this helps you a ton and you may not realize it. Stand under the platforms and camp, and shield his bananas and they pop up above you and land on the platform so he can't banana lock or anything.

also, right after he throws a banana and you shield, if you immediately grab him it stops any of his approachs after a banana throw. if he has 2 bananas, still go for the grab or fsmash the 2nd and then fsmash/grab after that, it usually either trades hits or stops him, so better to trade hits than to get 0-70.

imo this is a pretty good matchup for oli , and like goose says, guard the banans. don't throw them. stand right behind it and spam grab so he won't try to get it, or put it behind you and create the usual wall. if he tries to approach with his 2nd banana to get his second, you can shield the throw and grab him =]

and, the biggest thing, don't freak out if he is comboing you like crazy. that's the worst thing you could do in any matchup, just stay cool because it's not like you are going to get out anyways, just let it happen as it's going to. just be prepared for an opening where he messes up or he has to stop and take advantage of the situation where he has lost momentum

Dyyne

Smash Ace
also, right after he throws a banana and you shield, if you immediately grab him it stops any of his approachs after a banana throw. if he has 2 bananas, still go for the grab or fsmash the 2nd and then fsmash/grab after that, it usually either trades hits or stops him, so better to trade hits than to get 0-70.
I do not think it does. If he glidetosses towards you and you shield the banana and try to grab, you'll most likely get a dash attack to the face. Or a grab. And if you spam fsmash and he has 2 bananas and throws/catches one after the other, it will go faster than the fsmashes.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah if Diddy has one banana and he approaches after a glide toss, you can definitely throw out a grab and be safe.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
You guys not all diddys play the same! The noobs will just spam bananas then just dash attack all the time so the become predictable, but on the other hand I main diddy as well so watch out for 2 naners 2 come out at the same time! Adhd and ninjalink is amazing with this! They often go off the edge and drop the naners so when you approach....you will either slip, or try 2 pick up the naners while he s is coming up with ideas 2 **** you! My advice is just 2 be patient watch the pattern and time frame at which the diddys use the naners! If they pull banana after banana then stall and just slowly brace yourself! Chuck pikmin while slowly picking up bananas!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
What can Olimar do with a Banana, what are good options out of glide toss if the banana hits. Already I can think of us doing the same thing Diddy does which is grab, dash attack, f smash, d smash even u smash (prob best option along with grab) what else, what can we lead to and how and we combo with them?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar's glide toss is very, very small and useless. Instead use his jump canceled glide toss, which gives him a distance a little smaller than Diddy's regular glide toss.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
im in contention for top diddy in socal (along with dao) me and rich play all the time.
anyways rich is gonna come over either today or tomorrow and we're gonna get some vids for this confusing match up,the diddy boards are having as hard a time as you guys are with ratios, etc.
ill be posting the vids here and in the diddy boards as well

IcyLight

Smash Lord
recent findings ive had on the matchup, smart diddies now sh banana throw the first in a sequence so it bounces on the top of your shield so you can't do anything oos because the banana falls on you instead of in front of you. it's annoying, but beware the differences of banana placement on your shield.

Fino

Smash Master
recent findings ive had on the matchup, smart diddies now sh banana throw the first in a sequence so it bounces on the top of your shield so you can't do anything oos because the banana falls on you instead of in front of you. it's annoying, but beware the differences of banana placement on your shield.
if he SH throws it at your shield, can you not drop your shield - short hop - and zcatch it and then do something sexy?

~Fino

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i never discussed the options, but z catching is godly in this matchup so yes that would be pro too :p

also, i thought i would add, if he has 2 bananas so you can't grab you can spam fsmash after the first hits your shield and you will stop every one of his approaching options as well as the 2nd banana (courtesy of blackwaltz)

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i never could find a reason to dacus, that's cool llumys. btw i've perfected your little tether trick for quick onto stage, and it is by far the best of all of them.

Azuraith

Smash Apprentice
Any good player should be able to Z catch with relative ease, ive recently decided to second olimar and maybe make him my main. My friend Dvn mains diddy and hes a pretty epic diddy player. good banana control. probably one of the best ive seen. But as long as i have control of his bananas, i dont seem to have much of a problem, and seeing as i play him so much ive gotten used to catching bananas. As long as im keeping a bit of pressure without getting to close, with some SH pikmin throws in there, he cant really do much. but overall its a pretty **** close matchup. when diddy has controll, olimar is screwed unless i get a good grab

Top Bottom