• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Matchup Discussion - Pikachu

Fino

Smash Master
Pikachu's spot dodge lasts for 18 frames and Olimar's fsmash lasts for 36 frames (just the hitbox), so even if you spot dodge on the frame you're about to be hit... you'll still be hit.
EL
OH
EL

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Pikachu

Don't run up and spotdodge at fsmashes max range. You can spotdodge it if you're closer than where the pikmin will actually land on the ground. For grabs, it's the same thing. Otherwise you're screwed because of how long it lasts. The grabbox lasts longer at the tip as well.

Timing is really important here if you think about it. Don't just spotdodge because you think the Oli player will attack. Time it or back out and reset.

If you can't get within Oli's "tipper" range, NEVER run in and spotdodge. That's just asking to get grabbed/pivotgrabbed/fsmashed.

Shield approaching- don't ever do it unless you're absolutely sure they'll fsmash you. It's really easy for the Oli player to throw out a safe ranged while you shield. Unless he throws out an fsmash, you're only setting yourself up for stuff.

This is all especially important for the Pikachu player to remember compared to other characters. Pikachu is definitely quick enough to get in Olimar's face and do some damage if you can be patient, quick, and you don't attempt to punish what you can't.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
just throwing this out there, if pika spaces his fsmash properly the tip of it sends you EXACTLY STRAIGHT UP set up right into a thunder combo. pika pika did this to me when i versed him a few of my stocks, so be careful of the tipped fsmash at high %, and if you shield DO NOT DROP SHIELD until you know it is over.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
LOL i am actually a very good spot dodger. trust me when spaced properly you cant dodge the fsmash.
Uh, that would work if the fsmash stood in one place for 20 frames. What youre saying right now is like saying that pikachus jolt can't be spot dodged because it lasts for 80 frames.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Just for reference, the hitbox comes out on 11 and ends on 47. Pikachu's jolt travels horizontally, while olimar's fsmash travels towards pika, stops, and starts dropping, while keeping its hitbox. They're two completely different things and can't really be compared, in this sense.

Noa.

Smash Master
Perfectly spaced fsmashes can not be spotdoged. The "tipper" of it has a lasting hitbox that lingers after spotdodges. Olimar's grab is the same. Many of my opponents have become frustrated when they spotdodge my grab and I still grab them.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The matchup discussion has died down, so there's a few last questions I should ask. I'm going to take the stages to CP against pikachu from Dabuz's stage counterpick thread when we finish the pikachu matchup. What color pikmin work the best against pikachu (obviously yellow, but what's after that lol. The usually Yellow>Purple>Blue>Red>White?)

And finally, what matchup number are we deciding on. Main numbers mentioned are 55:45, 60:40, and 65:35.

My opinion is that it is 55:45 and possibly 60:40. 65:35 is unreasonable, as there's no way we would destroy pikachu that much. We don't **** pikachu as much as luigi ***** us. But if someone has something that can prove me wrong, so be it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I say 55-45 Oli with yellows slightly>purple>>>>>>>>>>>the others.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
60:40 we have an easier time dealing with pikachu but pika does have a lot of options against us.

Azuraith

Smash Apprentice
I agree with hilt, for me its leaning mor towards 55-45 olimar 60-40 is.... debateable. Pikachu cant really do much against pikmins awesome spacing, and wide variety of killing moves. and most of pikachus combos can be DI or SDI and yellow pikmin and purple pikmin stop his spam.

overall advantage : 55:45 olimar

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
I agree with hilt, for me its leaning mor towards 55-45 olimar 60-40 is.... debateable. Pikachu cant really do much against pikmins awesome spacing, and wide variety of killing moves. and most of pikachus combos can be DI or SDI and yellow pikmin and purple pikmin stop his spam.

overall advantage : 55:45 olimar
It's pikmin,not pikmins D=

Top Bottom