• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Hyper Light Drifter/Shantae

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week, as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but we’re not exempt from surprises – every once in a while, there may be an old classic or forgotten treasure thrown in! Check back every week for the scoop on the upcoming Nintendo games. This week’s topic is a double feature of Kickstarted indie games!

Hyper Light Drifter

Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero

Both Hyper Light Drifter and Shantae: Half Genie Hero – Why are these two being put together? Both are indie games coming out this year being released on the Wii U.

Hyper Light Drifter
Hyper Light Drifter is a new IP that’s labeled under the Action RPG genre and features elements from A Link to the Past and Diablo.

The goal was to create a game that’s easy to pick up, but addictive and hard to master. With the theme of a dark, detailed, and interconnected world, it all presents a game that’s valued beautifully.

Shantae: Hale Genie Hero
Shantae, unlike Hyper Light Drifter, is not a new series. Shantae: Half Genie hero has had three other entries – Shantae, Shantae: Risky Revenge, and Shantae: The Pirate’s Curse. All these entries can be found on the Nintendo 3DS. Shantae is a platformer that’s known for its emphasis on exploration, similar to the Metroid games.

Shantae is focused as a sequel on putting more emphasis on perfect controls to make newcomers of the series the best introduction they can; big priority has been placed on making Shantae look the best and on storyline.

Premise

“Drifters of this world are the collectors of forgotten knowledge, lost technologies and broken histories. Our Drifter is haunted by an insatiable illness, traveling further into the lands of Buried Time, steeped in blood and treasure hoping to discover a way to quiet the vicious disease. Echoes of a dark and violent past from the dead eras resonate throughout and he can't help but listen.” (Taken from theHyper Light Drifter Kickstarter page)

“Shantae is roused from a deep sleep, suddenly alert. She plunges into the moonlit forest in search of answers. In nearby Scuttle Town she discovers a mysterious trapdoor, and beyond that, a luminous subterranean cavern. A familiar voice calls out, drawing Shantae to a beautiful fountain. Touching its waters she is immediately spirited away to the fabled Genie Realm. At her feet a magical seal swells as some powerful evil seeks escape. The chamber trembles with a deep, bellowing roar and everything goes white. Shantae sits upright, back in her bed. Was it just a dream? Or a vision of things to come?”

Features

Both Shantae and Hyper Light Drifter are loaded with features; thanks to backers, they were able to be expanded upon even more!

Shantae
Highly Expansive from the Originals – With a prologue, three chapters, and an epilogue, that’s already enough to satisfy a whole game, right? Thanks to the Kickstarter, four bonus chapters are included as well!

Multiple Playable Characters – Is playing the game once not enough? Shantae features Rottytops, Bolo, Sky, and Risky all as playable characters – Each with their own abilities and story crafted!

Special Costumes – Special Costumes are featured, and while most of these are original to Shantae, the “Drifter Blade” from Hyper Light Drifter is available to any backers!

Hyper Light Drifter
Multiplayer Modes – Both Co-Op *and* competitive multiplayers are featured through-out all of Hyper Light Drifter.

Challenge Mode – This isn’t as usual new game plus or anything; it’s a mode that allows the player to have several mini-quests to test their skill in waves. How long can the player level up through boss rush runs, speed runs, and other oddities that wouldn’t fit into the core game?

New Game+ - Know how there was a joke about this earlier? A New Game+ is indeed available as well!

About the Team(s)

Shantae: Half Genie Hero was developed by Way Forward Technologies located in Valencia, California. Along with the Shantae series, they’re responsible for Contra 4, Mighty Switch Force, Ducktales Remastered, The Adventure Time and Regular Show games, and Sigma Star Saga. The rest of their games can be found over here, for those curious.

Hyper Light Drifter was developed by Heart Machine. While they weren’t an entity that all worked together until now, amongst their group, there’s been work done on Fez, The Moonlighters, and Samurai Gunn. More information about Heart Machine and Hyper Light Drifter can be found at their website here!

Music

Hyper Light Drifter & Shantae: Half-Genie Hero were both planned October releases, but unfortunately had to be delayed to “Sometime in 2015” / “End of Holiday Season 2014” for final touches. They’ll both be out on Wii U, PS4, Steam, Vita, and Xbox One with Shantae also available on Xbox 360 and PS3. Keep an eye out for them!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart who loves making these articles weekly. He's a friendly guy too. Go talk to him on Twitter about indie games! @Thirdkoopa

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've actually been following Hyper Light Drifter since its kickstarter - I'm super excited that it's finally coming out. It's unbelievable how far it's come, and I can't wait to play it.

Keefer

Smash Cadet
Haven't seen either of these games before but hyper light has the kewlest looking art I've ever seen.

mouthofxenu

Smash Rookie
Great article, but I do have two corrections.

First, the second game in the series is "Shantae: Risky's Revenge," not "Shantae's Risky Revenge."

Second, Risky's Revenge is in fact available on the Nintendo 3DS. The game was originally both an iOS and DSiWare game, but it is in the Nintendo eShop for 3DS. There is also a version of Risky's Revenge out on Steam. I highly recommend playing all three of the currently available Shantae games.

A little more background on Shantae's gameplay and history. The games in the series (especially the first) play like a remastered version of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest in that they have exploration, inventory management, and NPC interaction in towns. The first game even has day/night transitions like in Simon's Quest, but far less annoying because the transition is seamless.

Shantae fights and explores by whipping her hair, casting damaging spells, and dancing in order to magically transform into animals with unique abilities. It's truly a shame that Smash is doing away with transformations because she could have been a gateway character for Japan, like Marth was in the US. Then again, I'm sure her transforming aspect could be worked into her attacks if there was a will to get her in. I can dream!

Finally, a fun fact. The original Shantae was a Gameboy Color title released in 2002, right at the transition to Gameboy Advance. To encourage players to play the game on the GBA, the game rewards players that play it on the GBA by giving them a secret transformation. While the game was praised for it's mastery of the Gameboy Color's engine, namely in the color changes from day to night, it did not sell well and thus the character Shantae is relatively unknown despite being one of the most well-developed and oldest female protagonists in Nintendo's library.

edit: Here is an excellent video about the Shantae series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc6tZ6Hwpp0

(Also, I can't wait for Hyperlight Drifter!)

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Great article, but I do have two corrections.

First, the second game in the series is "Shantae: Risky's Revenge," not "Shantae's Risky Revenge."

Second, Risky's Revenge is in fact available on the Nintendo 3DS. The game was originally both an iOS and DSiWare game, but it is in the Nintendo eShop for 3DS. There is also a version of Risky's Revenge out on Steam. I highly recommend playing all three of the currently available Shantae games.
I'll add those both in right now!

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been following Hyper Light Drifter since its kickstarter - I'm super excited that it's finally coming out. It's unbelievable how far it's come, and I can't wait to play it.
Haven't seen either of these games before but hyper light has the kewlest looking art I've ever seen.
Wow, Hyper Light Drifter looks amazing!
I backed Hyper Light Drifter on Kickstarter and I was able to play the beta aka "preview build". Trust me, its worth the wait.

Trombone

Smash Rookie
Hyper Light Drifter might be out this year but as far as I know that and half genie hero have been moved to 2015 for development time (Apparently this was addressed at the end of the article, my bad)

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I backed Hyper Light Drifter on Kickstarter and I was able to play the beta aka "preview build". Trust me, its worth the wait.
I'm able to play the beta build, but I choose not to because I want to be blown away by the full experience. Doing the same with Chasm.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I'm able to play the beta build, but I choose not to because I want to be blown away by the full experience. Doing the same with Chasm.
They left out a ton of content, its a nice start that doesn't show much at all. You at least get used to the the controls.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
They left out a ton of content, its a nice start that doesn't show much at all. You at least get used to the the controls.
I think it's great that they do stuff like that, I just personally prefer to start with the full experience. If I start playing the game, I want to be able to devour everything it has to offer at my leisure, I don't want to hit the end of a demo. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm a huge fan of anything WayForward makes, I don't regret my backing Shantae (it's way too much for someone like me if we're gonna be real here).

you really owe yourself to play either Shantae GBC or Pirate's Curse and I'll also plug Mighty Switch Force HD because best series ever

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Good choices to cover this week! I actually backed both of these projects and I can't wait to get my hands on these titles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shantae a pirate's curse took a year longer to develop then they thought and costs almost twice the price of the predicted price in the eShop

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Shantae would be cool if I was 7
Drifter looks p. cool

Last edited:

Riverside J

Smash Rookie
Shantae and The Pirates Curse is a very, very good game. Since, I been playing it I have had nothing but a good time. 9/10. I highly recommend it to all on this site to give it a try as Shantae is a great character, and the game play is some of the best I've played in a long time. I'm backing the new one for sure.

-great characters
-AMAZING music
-old school feel

Top Bottom