• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Bike Turnaround

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
With just about everything that gets posted I'm sure that I'll get a few people who will say it's already been found or that they've been doing it since the day the game was released. But I may have found a new tech.
I was practicing auto-wiping and airwalk turnaround bites (which seems useful) and I accidentally biked before I left the ground, but I was holding back so the bike turned around but still fell off the stage. The result was Wario riding the bike offstage but back towards the stage at the same type of trajectory you would get if you were to simply ride offstage.

I'm not sure If I explained that correctly so here is a stupid picture I made.

EDIT: The picture did not work right. I'll make a new one and get it up here in a bit. But until then think airwalk bike turnaround.

I have a replay, but I have no way of capturing it. Does anyone have an idea of how to do this? I haven't been able to recreate it. It seems like a cool way to mix up edge guarding.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
The video part should be posted on the video thread. Anyway 1) you're saying that you made it easier to put the bike on stage? & 2) Trying recording with a camera or capture card.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
No, it doesn't put the bike on the stage. Did you stop reading after the first few sentences? I don't have a way to capture it.
I figured out how to do it though. Stand on the edge of the stage with one of Wario's feet off the edge. Bike towards offstage and buffer a turnaround during the bike coming out animation.

I can't do it everytime, but I feel like the big deciding factor is the space you are from the edge. The timing isn't too strict, so if you're trying to do it just mess around with the spacing.

What happens is Wario starts the turnaround animation as he slides off the stage. It brings you about a full bike length away from the edge into the air and the turnaround animation ends and the bike starts going back towards the stage.

I can email out the replay of me doing it a handful of times. It's complete with me punishing Mario every time I screwed up.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Two things I'm curious about.
1) Is it useful?
What does the hitbox during a turn animation look like? I've already tried using it to gimp my friend's toonlink, but I couldn't do it reliably.

2) And can anyone else do this?
I want to find a better way or easier way to do this. If I could at least figure out if it's timing or spacing that governs whether this work then that would be cool.

What do you guys think?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey guys, I did this exact thing at Genesis in teams, and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to do it consistently. I just did bike, and turned back towards the stage, and it went off stage and turned at the same time lol it was so weird.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
DMG, did you do it at a similar distance from the edge as I did in the video? I'm not necessarily telling you to try that, but I'm trying to figure out if there are other circumstances in which this happens. Maybe we can put together a theory.

The only way I've been able to successfully do it is by having only Wario's heel on the stage with his foot hanging off. If I were on the right side of the stage then Wario would be facing right. I would hit right and B and then immediately hit left. It feels similar to doing a bite turn around.

Has anyone else done/tried this yet?

Padô

Smash Lord
Seems to be very difficult to apply during a good matchup and I can't see a VERY GOOD use of it.

And biking to EG someone is just safe if done on stage since your opponent can make you dismount from it which leaves you with another hop and the UpB.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Woah. Did anyone else know that if you autowipe while someone is hanging on the edge it stage spikes. I can't see any risk involved. If you happen to get hit then the bike takes the damage, you land on the stage, and you have a bike in a strategic location for throwing. If they have ledge invincibility then you miss and you are in the same position.

I feel like there is a lot of stuff that certain bike tricks could add to the meta game.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
For an autowipe spike? You land on the stage. It's just as risky as standing next to a Marth in any capacity.

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
I used to do this all the time when I first started playing Wario, and sometimes still do when I try to turn too hard on a slope (happens on Halberd if I'm not careful).

The problem is that there's no hitbox during that turn around animation, and you can't jump off for quite some time, so you're really just a sitting duck unless you can find some use for your momentum afterwords... and I doubt that you will since you're driving the **** thing downward under the stage (doesn't help if you can't jump through the stage).

I've never considered this to be an AT of any sort, because it seems like it just leaves you vulnerable. I've been punished just about every time I did this by accident, and I think it cost me a match once.

Really, there's no hitbox, and you're going off the stage on your bike, meaning you didn't use your ground jump, and the nose of the bike is pointed downwards, meaning you have to take time to angle up if you want to have a decent jump.

However, I'd like to see people experiment with it and see what they can get out of it... I just wouldn't recommend putting priority on this when there are other techniques that we know work, but just arn't put into practice and developed.

"I feel like there is a lot of stuff that certain bike tricks could add to the meta game."

I don't know whether to smile or be annoyed that it's taken this long for people to think this way.

Top Bottom