• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Were they really concerned about Ike?

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Do you think that Ike was worked on as much as the other characters when the Game Designers of SSBB were making the game? Me personally, I dont think so. Because they developed the game around "people having fun with each other", I dont think they were focused on how to make Ike competitive in 1v1 gameplay. I just feel that it is unfair for Marth to be the "standout" every SSB from Melee and up. Give another swordsman a chance to be on top!!!

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
>.> Obviously mike hasn't heard of Metaknight or he'd see that there IS another swordsman on top...

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Im meant a human swordsman u dimwit.
Well then why wouldn't you say so, dimmerwit?

Personally I think Ike does just fine in this game. He's a far better Lord in his game series than Marth, broken Aether shiz and whatnot, so Marth should be better

But then again, I'm a Marth mainer XD I like Ike too, though, being a huge Fire Emblem fan.

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
Stop with the "queerness". lol. If they made Ness worst than Lucas, how come they couldn't do that for Marth and Ike?

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
Ike's not a human, he's a beorc-*SHOT*
Truth. >.> Anyways, it's pretty safe to say that Meta dominates the top tiers as a swordsman. Swordsball? wtf ever he is. However, if you put a good Ike against a good Marth, you've got a good game, in my opinion.

Veggi

Smash Champion
It feels like Snake was made to be the best character in the game on purpose, seriously my brother walked into the room and he barely even plays Brawl, right away when he was watching a replay with Snake in it he noticed that Snake's f tilt was way overpowered.

I don't get why they made Ike slow, they should have balanced him another way like giving him a bad recovery. Oh wait.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
It feels like Snake was made to be the best character in the game on purpose, seriously my brother walked into the room and he barely even plays Brawl, right away when he was watching a replay with Snake in it he noticed that Snake's f tilt was way overpowered.

I don't get why they made Ike slow, they should have balanced him another way like giving him a bad recovery. Oh wait.
I totally enjoyed how Ike feels actually in every aspect of him... I don't consider him slow, just someone with leg weights... Bad recovery??? How about character's like Olimar and Ivysaur who has nearly no recovery against edgehoggers???

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well it can't be that huge f***ing sword he carries with one hand that made him slow.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Do you think that Ike was worked on as much as the other characters when the Game Designers of SSBB were making the game? Me personally, I dont think so. Because they developed the game around "people having fun with each other", I dont think they were focused on how to make Ike competitive in 1v1 gameplay. I just feel that it is unfair for Marth to be the "standout" every SSB from Melee and up. Give another swordsman a chance to be on top!!!
I think all the characters were worked very hard on. In fighting games it's extremely hard to balance characters unless you have like 2 characters. If the competitive crowd was bigger (In comparison to the causal audience) perhaps Ike would of gotten more attention in regards to that environment but like all game companies their main focus is on making money (so they target the bigger audience).

I can understand you feelings though.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I think all the characters were worked very hard on. In fighting games it's extremely hard to balance characters unless you have like 2 characters. If the competitive crowd was bigger (In comparison to the causal audience) perhaps Ike would of gotten more attention in regards to that environment but like all game companies their main focus is on making money (so they target the bigger audience).

I can understand you feelings though.
I generally agree with Kirby Knight here. I think that the game designers wanted to make every character unique and at least playable this time around. They definitely succeeded in giving each character the right "feel." Sonic feels like he's lightning fast, Ganondorf and Bowser feel like they hit like a truck, and Sheik's combos make you feel like you're a Ninja.

I also believe that special attention was given to Snake, seeing as he was the first 3rd party character, and they made sure to go out of their way to make him stand out. This might have actually affected his balance with the other characters to an extent.

The last thing that the designers wanted to do was to let down a franchise's fan-base because their character sux. Everyone wants their favorite character from their favorite franchise to be equal to the rest of the cast, but this is simply not a perfect game, and it is simply not a perfect world.

Top Bottom