• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western New York Upcoming Tournies/Smashfests

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Whee! Smashfest was a success, though there were some setbacks; a broken tv, only one other tv that was incredibly small, not to mention out of all the people who thought they might be able to come, only Strata came...no Mow (partially my fault) no Greta, no Buffalo crew, no Giygas. Oh well, I know how plans and problems and stuff come up, no worries guys. I just thought it was funny.

I'm now going to use this post to advertise tourneys and smashfests in the upstate NY area.

from Strata:
Hey guys, sorry to make this so last-minute, but there's apparently a tourney this Friday at SUNY Geneseo, if any of you are interested. It's gonna be at the College Union at 8PM, and it's gonna end at 2AM, so there's gonna be mad time for maybe more than one set-up. If any of you out there are interested, and wanna know how to get there exactly, just pm me or drop me an im...

If you're coming from south of us, then just take I-390N, going in the direction of Rochester, and get off at exit 7 or 8 ( I don't remember which is the very first exit for Geneseo; get off at the very first Geneseo exit you see), and just follow the signs to get to the SUNY Geneseo campus. From there, you might wanna holla at the cell at 585-506-6361, and ask for Harvard (emphasize the name HARVARD and say that it's about the tourney) to get more specific directions to the College Union, which is where the tourney's gonna be held.

For anybody else that wants to come and don't know how, SUNY Geneseo's best accessible through I-390 either way, and just get off at the very first Geneseo exit you see. From there, just follow the directions to get to campus. And when you do, hit up the number to get more specific directions. I'll see ya'll there...

I have officially retired from Smash. I do not want to receive any more IMs from 12 year old smashers requesting the time and location of the next tournament, since I wouldn't even know that information. These aforementioned n00bs are advised to actually READ THE THREAD. Thank you.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
wow...

I didn't even know there were decent smashers in Rochester. I've been there many times in the past, and not once have gotten word of smashers in the vicinity. I'm from NYC, but I go upstate for school. I go to a SUNY half an hour away from Rochester, so I could be there in the fall. When you set this up, count me in. As for the DA members showing up, it's hard to bring them upstate unless a crazy-big pot's on the line (knowing Wes, it has to be really big). You can try hard, cause it'll be cool if they show up, but don't keep your hopes up...

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Yes. There is competition in Rochester. We're not pros, but we'll try not to disappoint.

And there probably isn't even going to be a pot, let alone a big one, maybe some smallish money matches...but I'm poor.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
greta, are you khimster on aim? and are ss4ricky and eddie in your crew? Judging by your banner they are, didn't know they were in NY...it'd be nice to have them there too

TWP

Smash Ace
Alright I'm bumping this so more people can see it. Looks like we have a bigger community than we first counted on, eh Drew ?

First of all, I'm very happy to see the responses we're gettign here, and hope many of you can make it. This really isn't a tournament perse, as there will probably not be a pot or brackets for that manner. WHat we will probably need (not knwoing about the RIT lounge) is Televisions and Gamecubes alike. If you can brign some that would be much appreciated by all members.

On the money matches, bring some money, but not enough to make you poor. I'm sure some of the more expierenced plaers (cough Mow cough) will want to participate, so be prepared. That's my 2 cents on that.

You can also email me at caliburofsin@yahoo.com

PS - I'm guessing you go to SUNY Brockport Razor ?

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I don't think we'll be needing cubes. Each member of our crew has one, so we can easily get four. You guys may want to bring a controller for yourselves though, because some of ours aren't in that great of shape, plus you probably are used to a particular feel anyway. Also I think we will need a couple memory cards with all the Smash stuff on them, because I think a couple of our cubes are missing FD and/or DK 64, and I'm just a bit too lazy to sit there for 15 minutes mashing buttons. Or god forbid actually fighting. TV's may be a problem, because depending on how many people we have we might need a few extra TV's.

BBT, what's your AIM so I can actually have a prolonged convo with you about the lounge, expectations, limitations, and whatnot...?

EDIT: Never mind, I got smart and found it. :bee:

TWP

Smash Ace
I can handle the memory card deal. I got 3 with eveything on them. And you have one so that's no problem. Bringing your own controllers is a good idea. And I possibly may be able to bring 1 tv. I wouldn't count on it though.

Jill Valentine

Smash Apprentice
Okay, any of those Sundays is good for me, I have to talk with the rest of the crew..but I'm sure they're good for any of those days as well.

If need be, I have a Memory card with all of the Smash stuff on it, as well, as if extremely necessary a TV that can be brought.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
The memory card won't be needed, I just found out we have that covered. The TV, you guys are traveling a pretty long way to be bringing a TV, so we'll try hard to get another one from nearby. Come to think of it, I could probably get my small one from my basement, it's pretty small but very portable. About 17 or 19 inches though, so it's doable. With the TV already in the room, plus mine, plus Ryan's, we should be ok. Thanks for the offer though, and we may need it if something comes up. The way I see it, we'll have probably 2 cubes for one on one, and one for FFA/teams. That should be enough, I think. Of course we'll have to check with B to make sure 3 is ok anyway.

-I'm out.

Xenos

Smash Cadet
I've got a card too Drew, and any of those days should work, unless my parents re-introduce the fascist regime....

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
brockport?

Sounds like you guys are putting together something that's catching some attention. Any one of those weekends sounds fine, even though I'm not that familiar with the RIT vicinity. If you said U of R, that would've been different. But if it's right off the 490, i should be able to find it.

PS. Brockport? I'm not that dumb. I go to the G-Unit of the SUNY system (figure it out)...

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Strata, I'm not sure what you mean by G-Unit, but...Geneseo? My guess anyway.

But RIT is southwest of U of R, not too far. I have a terrible sense of direction, unfortunately, and I don't think I've ever been to RIT, but I just checked a map and it's probably about 10 or 15 minutes southwest of U of R. Hope that helps a bit.

TWP

Smash Ace
Ok here it goes my 300th post !

Anyway, glad to see Mow got on the thread, I'm kidna bumping this, because we all know the more people there are, the more money I can lose to them.

RIT is semi-near the Cantonesse house, if you know of that place. But I'm pretty sure if you drive on 490 you can easily find it.

But I'm asking is can we get a rough estimate of exactly how many are coming ?

Rochester Smash Crew - 4
Buffalo Smash Crew - 5/6 ?
Melee Warrioir + ?
Mow
BBT

who else ?

Please post if you're interested so we can see how many Tv's/cubes we'll need.

Game and Watch REPRESENT !

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
BBT, if you show up to this you better hold it down. I would rep for DA, but I won't be back in Rochester until Winter quarter. Hopefully, when I get back, I'll start a Smash Club at my school, and then we can hold weekly fests there. But I hope this fest gets a decent turnout, because I've put Rochester challenge topics up on these boards forever and have come up with zero.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Haha...Kubuu, you, a vet, have been doing this for awhile with no results? Yet I, a nobody, am getting them? Sad, and weird. But I'll come if you do weeklies in the winter. That would be way cool. Gotta go to bed...more tomorrow.

TWP

Smash Ace
You go to RIT with BBT right Kubuu ?

That'd be good cause I think I might be able to get out there occasionally for smash. DUnno how parents would feel about that...they are defidentally the worst creation ever...

EDIT : If Drew's in, he can prolly get me rides there, so you can basically count me in any date he comes.

Xenos

Smash Cadet
hey ryan you might wanna edit that cause your color didnt work, and yeah I might too, but my parents might not go for it either, cause theyre fascist

D

Deleted member

i won't be on the 26th. Birthday plans.

EDIT: you invited Wes? Don't invite Wes he sucks. Invite people worth my time. **** **** samus. Even plays the **** color.

Invite ppl w/ skill.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
OK, the 26 is no longer an option. Duly noted.

And he saw that it was good. [/all encompassing God voice]

Linkzrath

Smash Journeyman
I might show up, assuming all goes well. I have failed to go to 4 tournies in a row, two because of unusual circumstances, and the other two were canceled...

TWP

Smash Ace
Where are you comin from Linkzrath, and this technically isn't a tourney, just a smashfest. And very little to no money is involved in this.

*looks at title*
yeah you probably knew that..

And very little to no money is involved in this.

Zero X

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, im stephan, aka."Bonzo" part of the rochester smash crew. it seems that my house is the vote of where we are gonna try and hold it, i gotta a really nice newly finished basement. 50 inch tv, sound system, the works, but it seems my parents have vetoed it for the moment, but i shall not loose. i bet by the time, we really plan this, i can win against them, cause they usually don't care, or just because they are n00bs. I hopefully will be able to convince them, but for now my house is out...until i bring out me beatin stick and put some sense into them and say it's only for one day!.....hahaha

-Zero X-

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Linkzrath, good to hear you might be able to make it. I've heard of you, heard that you're pretty good. Anyway, I put you down as a maybe in the first post. Where exactly in upstate NY are you located?

On another note, I hesitate to leave the 5th up as a possible date, because on the 4th I have to sing at a freakin' wedding. But I'm leaving it up because I don't think the gig will interfere much with our smashing.

Mock me not.

Xenos

Smash Cadet
dude whos wedding you singin at?

*reclaims Western New York, in the name of Teo*

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
I can hold something small at my house, just a day thing if anyone is willing to drive here. You'd be playing with the best in wny if you do.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
****, I would love to make it to this smashfest but me = no car so I can't be spending 3000$ and 4000 hours getting there with public trans.

I live in Queens, N.Y.

If anyone is going there by car, and would'nt mind giving me a drive, I would LOVE to go there.

I'm always up for competition, but some resources are not always at my disposal.

If anything hit me up at my AIM name

Jase8286

Laterz.

SilvenswordsmanX

Smash Ace
Originally posted by DireVulcan
****, I would love to make it to this smashfest but me = no car so I can't be spending 3000$ and 4000 hours getting there with public trans.

I live in Queens, N.Y.

If anyone is going there by car, and would'nt mind giving me a drive, I would LOVE to go there.

I'm always up for competition, but some resources are not always at my disposal.

If anything hit me up at my AIM name

Jase8286

Laterz.

...Same, except I can't bring anything but a copy of Melee.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Silven, DireVulcan, I think you're out of luck, we don't have anyone coming from that area so far.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman

Yo DireVulcan, that sux, cause I'm from the QZ too. I only go upstate for school (I think sevenofcoins had the school right). And unfortunately, by that time, I'll already be up there. If it started around that time, I would've been able to get you a ride at least up there. Sorry to hear that...

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Or if anything, if anyone is going there by transportation reasonably near my area let me know if you wanna meet up, I may be able to get an unlimited for that day. but it'll probably take mad long to get there, so we'd be leaving hellishly early.

*awaits further response*

lionheart1

Smash Ace
if any one would like to know.. im probably about a week ill be havin an all night smash fest at my house so if any of you would like to come...so be it. u can im me at im n0t tim

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd be up for coming, and I may even be able to bring along a friend or two. Provided Bee would be able to stand me, since I know he hates my guts (but real-life if so much different...) Lol...

Anyway, I live in Waterloo. It's about an hour away. And since RIT was one of the collleges I was looking at going to, the trip there could double as a campus visit. Good deal!

I'm not the best smasher, I don't really know too many advanced concepts, but I think I'd do ok. I'll let you know about going as the date looms closer.

Top Bottom