• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What 5 characters take the most skill?

RayAllen123

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylewhiteguy
I like hard to use characters, and I want to start using the 5 characters that take the most tech skill to use.

Heres what I was thinking;

1) Link

2) Peach

3) Diddy

4) Snake

5) Ness

What are your opinions on the characters that need the most skill to use well?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
imo:
1. Lolimar (Olimar without any Pikmin)
2.Marth (at higher levels of play I swear it's all about conditioning your opponent, plus you need to have a handle on spacing).
3.Link (Have you read on how many AT's he has!?! Not that many are of use anyways)
4.Sonic (Mindgames son!)
5.Hard to decide, either Jiggs or PT (all three in conjunction)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
1) Pokemon Trainer
2) Pokemon Trainer
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Pokemon Trainer
5) Pokemon Trainer

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order:
1. Marth
2. Ice Climbers
3. Pokemon Trainer
4. ZSS
5. Olimar

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it took me much time to really get a grip on how Jiggs works. After the initial spacing of rests and aerials, there isn't really much to work with besides interrupted rests, I guess. Regardless, my list goes as such:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Marth
4. Yoshi
5. Sonic

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No one mentions Ganon? He has about as many ATs as Link I believe...

Anyway, in no particular order:

Ganon
Sonic
ICs
PT (all 3 pokemon that is.)
I dunno who else... There are a lot of other hard to use characters, like Mario, Yoshi, Peach, ZSS, Boozer, etc., but they don't feel like the 'hardest to use'.

Icy-Flood

Smash Cadet
Id say

#1 Link
#2 Poke'Mon Trainer
#3 Olimar
#4 Peach
#5 Fox/or Sanke -Fox Dies Super Quick and its hard to tech with him when he has high damage- and
-Snake well if you get him to the 50% damage level
then throw him out its easy to spike him and for a noob to be him you
wouldnt have to get his damage to 50% you could get it to like 30% and spike-

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
1. PT
2. Yoshi
3. IC
4. Marth
5. Link

With PT you have to master three different characters. Yoshi is just Yoshi, IC has all the spacing and CGs, Marth is all about spacing and mindgames, and Link is just Link.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You're right, ATs isn't the right word, but there are a lot of techs and things to know before you can play Ganon effectively. You of all people should know this.

Hell, just look at how much stuff is in this thread alone:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190763
Not having much ATs doesn't necessarily have to mean that the character itself isn't hard to learn. I, as a Ganon and Link user, would consider them the hardest characters to learn. Ganon's harder (to learn) than Link, if you want to use him to win efficiently.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
It's hard to say, because if someone is amazing with CF and someone is amazing with MK, then wouldn't the CF player have more skill for making a low tier so effective?

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I would say probably the bottom five tiered characters...in that they would be the most difficult to play well with against another pro player.
But if I think about it some more then...
Pokemon Trainer - need to master 3 very different characters, none of whom are that great to begin with
Link - difficult to master projectiles
Samus - same as above
Ness - same thing again
(and for the same reason, I would say Snake, Peach and Zero Suit Samus are also difficult)
Captain Falcon - =(

M@v

Subarashii!
1. melee Kirby, simply because he sucked so much :p

on topic...(No order)
snake
peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Sonic

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
In my option, I'll say Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Sonic, Snake, and Ness.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Not having much ATs doesn't necessarily have to mean that the character itself isn't hard to learn. I, as a Ganon and Link user, would consider them the hardest characters to learn. Ganon's harder (to learn) than Link, if you want to use him to win efficiently.
Agreed. Ike barely has any AT's and I don't think that he is THAT hard to use. You just mainly have to learn how to space well and be patient with him in order to perform well with Ike. Although, I still think that it's harder to win with Link or Ganon because they have a higher learning curve compared to most characters.

Characters who I think require a lot of skill in order to win in no particular order are:

1. Sonic. I couldn't stand his low priority moves at all. I get hit practically every time I unleash an attack on someone. Also, when I first tried him out, he felt rather clunky in my head and I really couldn't get over that feeling. I think someone would have to use Sonic a LOT to get over that problem. Also, I don't really like his 'hit and run' playstyle too much. I'd rather just get in there and proceed to put the hurt on my opponents. However, with his low priority, I can't really do that. >_>

2. Link. Link has a lot of AT's in this game and I think that in order to use him well, you need to know how to do most of them in order to perform well in battle. Also, I find it hard trying to find a way utilise ALL of his projectiles. Apparently battles are slightly easier with Link once you are able to do that, but I can't seem to do so.

3. Pokemon Trainer. With pokemon trainer, you need to understand 3 completely different playstyles in order to use him effectively. This is crucial especially when it comes to getting KO's because if you just use the 1 pokemon during the whole match, eventually the pokemon will become exhausted and it will be much harder for that pokemon to KO your opponent. Therefore, you have to implement P.T.'s DownB move in order to overrcome this problem. So, technically, you need to understand how to use 2 of the pokemon well and know how to use 1 reasonably well. This is so your best pokemon can rest while you use the next best one (or vice versa) to battle your opponent. However, in order to swith between them, you need to be fairly good with your worst pokemon so you can knock away your opponent and then you can safely change pokemon back to one of the pokemon that you are good with.

4. Olimar. In order to deal sufficient damage in battle and get KO's, you need to manage and organize your pikmin in battle before you execute an attack which corresponds to what you want to do. If you don't, it'll be harder for you to get KO's and or you won't deal much damage to your opponents. Also, it's hard to organize your pikmin unless if you are a fairly good distance away from your opponent. This also goes for plucking more pikmin too. If you aren't at a reasonable distance from your opponent, they are capable of getting a free hit on you.

5. Marth. In order to use Marth effectively, you have to learn how to space well, especially if you want to get an early KO. Basically, most of his meta game revolves around spacing. However, spacing is hard to do well in brawl. Also, you have to transition between both 'tippered' and 'untippered' attacks if you want to use Marth effectively. If you want to combo your opponents, don't hit them with the tip of your sword. If you want to do a lot of damage and or KO them, you have to hit them with the tip of your sword. However, attacking your opponent with the tip of Marth's sword is hard to do. Therefore when starting out with Marth, it can be really hard to get KOs on your opponent. Therefore, you need to be fairly good at spacing your moves if you want to do well with him.

Top Bottom