• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about character downloads?

C00P

Smash Cadet
I remember Reggie Fills-amis (whatever his name is) during one of the keynote speeches was discussing the online possibilities of the Wii. He mentioned as an example, you wake up one day to find a new character download for smash bros.

I understand it hasn't been mentioned, but with patches and updates now available who's to say its not possible to expand the roster beyond what it is?

I say its stupid not to because it will keep the popularity of the game pumped by always having fresh twists to the game.

This is a very unlikely situation but what does everyone think?

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
I remember Reggie Fills-amis (whatever his name is) during one of the keynote speeches was discussing the online possibilities of the Wii. He mentioned as an example, you wake up one day to find a new character download for smash bros.

I understand it hasn't been mentioned, but with patches and updates now available who's to say its not possible to expand the roster beyond what it is?

I say its stupid not to because it will keep the popularity of the game pumped by always having fresh twists to the game.

This is a very unlikely situation but what does everyone think?
hey, if its possible and Sakurai is inclined to create more characters, im all for it of course. i dont think its very likely, but we can hope i guess.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
it's interesting how this same thread have been done like.. ten times...

yep, i'm in if that menas that i won't need to wait 6 or 7 years more to the reinclusion of mewtwo...

anyways.. i think that "balance updates" is a must....

oh, and, if reggie says it...it's likely that it won't happen :(

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I remember him saying that too, which is why I expect downloadable smash characters in the near future.

If nintendo could truly pull downloadable characters off, I'll take back everything I said about brawl being a disappointment. that dual layered disk needs to be put to some use.

Pumpkins

Smash Rookie
Man, I sure hope so. Hey, any chance you could post the clip of Reggie saying that?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Well, technically, they could probably do downloadable characters without a problem if they made AT characters playable.

The models are already in the game, all they have to do is add the physics information and sound effects, which is would probably be much smaller than a full model and everything.

If they planned it out and wanted to try downloadable characters, there are ways they could do it and break the file size down so it won't eat up the Wii console anymore than a large VC game would.

Pumpkins

Smash Rookie
Hmm, well, what if you wanted to bring those downloaded characters online and the user you're facing doesn't have them downloaded?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
If this is the last smash then I'm for it but I'm pretty sure years from now there will be another one even without Sakurai so I see that being very doubtful and it wont happen.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Hmm, well, what if you wanted to bring those downloaded characters online and the user you're facing doesn't have them downloaded?
They could probably set up the online system to detect whether or not the person has the character or not.

Say you play with a character I don't have. The system would ask for a certain code or piece of data from my console, and if I did not have the character it would not send the data. Then the system would know the two aren't compatible and continue searching.

S2

Smash Lord
Man I can only dream of this.

Somehow I doubt Nintendo will give us what we want though. I wonder how much a character or stage takes up on the flash memory?

Pumpkins

Smash Rookie
They could probably set up the online system to detect whether or not the person has the character or not.

Say you play with a character I don't have. The system would ask for a certain code or piece of data from my console, and if I did not have the character it would not send the data. Then the system would know the two aren't compatible and continue searching.

Well thought out. Never thought of that...

I sure hope the WFC is able to do that.

Maybe they will have some hidden coding like Pokemon Ranger and getting manaphy.
Unfortunately, that isn't possible. In that game, manaphy was already in the game as soon as you fire up your DS for the first time. All you need is a code and then you can get the pokemon. For Brawl, (if you check the Brawl ripped thread) the character list has already been completely revealed, and the only thing people thought was mysterious was the zako list (which turns out to be the alloy team). So...for Brawl, we would need to download the character and somehow put it onto the Wii memory so that Brawl recognizes it and would use the data as the game begins to run.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord

Somehow I doubt Nintendo will give us what we want though. I wonder how much a character or stage takes up on the flash memory?
If they made certain ATs playable and planned for this ahead of time, not very large at all.

With character models added though, you are possibly looking at a large filesize.

Well thought out. Never thought of that...

I sure hope the WFC is able to do that.
They could do a software update if it's not.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
or the wifi would search for people who have the same char. download
or it would work the same as unlocked char.s
The problem is, with an unlocked character, the data exists on the disk. With the online, it just sends button combinations and the game puts them together, if it does not have the character data, it can't put them together.

Now, to answer questions:

Brawl character data seems to probably be in the 20-25mb range, meaning something like 150-200 blocks (200 is a really high estimation for the max). That means they are slightly larger than N64 games, and if I am not mistaken Nintendo has plans to release Turbographix games that are larger than that.

Basically, the size is not a factor, from the looks of it.

And that includes all aspects of the character, all the way down to the kirby hats.

ElFreakinCid

Smash Cadet
I think it may be possible, but who knows if they'll actually do it...

And if they do, it'll probably cost every player a small fortune.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Of course they would profit off of it, no question there. After all they would have to contract people to write up the code and everything. However, there probably wouldn't be an issue, and I wouldn't expect them to release a ton of characters that way.

On top of that, the game would have to already be designed to incorporate them. So it's not like we can "pursued" them to do it by petition/tons of emails.

At least people should get the idea it's possible. Unlikely (maybe a 1% chance of it happening) but possible.

VivaLaPika

Smash Cadet
Isn't there junk coding for Mewtwo and others floating around on the brawl disc? Wouldn't that mean that downloads for those characters would be smaller? I don't think there will be completely new DL chars, but if Mewtwo and Toon Zelda/whatever already have coding (even if it's incomplete) in the game. . .?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

I was told characters would be roughly 17MB. The ingame engine would take care of the characters physics and textures and stuff.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Eh, maybe. You could say the same for ATs though since they already have character models.

And I just did the math, Captain Falcon's files totaled at 21.5mb, including kirby hat, FS, and all that.

Maybe I got some extra stuff, but I figured he would be a fairly average character, due to the size of the model and the FS cutscene.

Regardless, size is workable.

ElFreakinCid

Smash Cadet
One thing's for sure--if they have downloadable characters at any point, I hope Krystal is one of them. And if she is, I'm so getting her, no matter what the price is.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how so many people are talking about downloadable content for Brawl...and that right there shows how many are disappointed by the character roster like I am. And now that it looks like there are less then 30 assist trophies, I'm disappointed by that too. Seriously, it's like Nintendo made certain aspects of this game lacking to build up the demand for dlc.

spindash

Smash Ace
Well, this is a pipe dream if anything. I somewhat doubt that we could get more additional characters. But I'm always one for keeping my options open! If it happens? Then woohoo!

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It's funny how so many people are talking about downloadable content for Brawl...and that right there shows how many are disappointed by the character roster like I am. And now that it looks like there are less then 30 assist trophies, I'm disappointed by that too. Seriously, it's like Nintendo made certain aspects of this game lacking to build up the demand for dlc.
I wouldn't go as far as saying I am "disappointed" with the roster. I am content with it, and am fine with the characters that are there.

But seriously, whether you like the roster or not, who would NOT want them if they were available? That's how I see it at least. (I also don't really care much about ATs, that never really interested me for some reason).

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Considering Brawl already takes up like a million blocks of Wii memory, I doubt there's enough room for add-ons; especially since Nintendo hasn't come out with any. However, a lot of people have brought up the possibility of adding an assist trophy which already has its model and textures on the disc. While I suppose it *is* possible, and would certainly take up less room than a completely new character from scratch, all the data needed for the character's moves and animations suggests to me that we'll never see this.

And yet, oh how I pray that it will be true. :(

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I think that there a characters that are already on Brawl that require activation by Nintendo. That way it won't require any more space since they are already on the game.

It's possible because Brawl uses 100 and something bloacks of memory.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They aren't going to, but I would love to be wrong about that

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think that there a characters that are already on Brawl that require activation by Nintendo. That way it won't require any more space since they are already on the game.

Doubtful, considering they would have been seen on the disk.

I didn't look to see if the files for all of the other characters were also there for toon Zelda and the others, but I don't think it is.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman

The contents of the disc have been unloaded, and there's no characters that we don't already have. :|

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Short answer: I'd love to see it happen.

Real answer: I don't think Nintendo would care enough to make it happen... If they did, imagine all the money they might be making off selling Wii Points. D:

Revak

Smash Apprentice
The Wii isn't like an Xbox 360 or PS3, it just doesn't have the capabilities or HD space to allow characters.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Oh, c'mon, who could trust

Reggie

THIS GUY
December third comes to mind... joking obviously. I'd like to see an Iwata asks with him...

The Wii isn't like an Xbox 360 or PS3, it just doesn't have the capabilities or HD space to allow characters.
I actually sort of debunked that. They are only slightly larger than a N64 game, and Nintendo already has plans to release content that is larger than Brawl characters on the Wii shop.

Top Bottom