• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about weather.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Something that would add another layer of depth to the gameplay could be weather. rain, sunshine, wind, snow...etc.

For example, gameplay would be slower in the wind, in the sun characters would take more damge, in the snow characters would glide( due to ice). I think it would just be something that would make SSBB all that better.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
well, they already introduced a bit of sliding in melee (icicle mountain), so i don't see why they wouldn't add it to brawl.

Sensai

Smash Master
Problem with this is that it might end up being detrimental to the game as a whole. Sure, sliding on the ice was cool...so long as I didn't have to slide along on FD while I'm playing in a tourney.

Another problem would arise when talking about online, especially if you don't just 'host' a game. What weather is there on the Interweb? Who knows....

If they made it so that it could be disabled, then sure. I'm all for it, as I probably wouldn't use it much anyways.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Actually, if you get the weather channel certain games weather will change aloong with your set are. Like Wii golf for example. I don't see what would be wrong iwht being able to turn on weather effects.
N00BS SUCK!*runs*

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
I'm with Sensai about the toggle on weather. I'm sure if there is no toggle, then we'll end up with stages with weather changes being banned for tournaments because " they would diminish the players' skill" or something like that. Kind of like the klap trap that always kills my friend because he forgets to jump....little does he know that that Klap trap is being paid by me....How bout them apples? Anyways, it would be cool prostetically. But from a gameplay point of view, maybe not so much. Maybe we should leave the weather changes for golf and Animal crossing on the wii eh?

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I think weather should be limited to stage specific. If they added more weather based stages, that'd be cool, but I don't think we really need weather on our basic battle grounds.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Severe thunderstorms on a final destination stage would be off the chain! A couple of natural disasters wouldn't hurt none either.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
We should have a choice, so if we don't want weather we don't have to play with weather at all. It sounds very interesting though.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
I think that was hinted under the Yoshi Island retro course in the Nintendo World Trailer.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I just think adding weather to season up the graphics, not to interfere with the characters. So, I guess natural disasters wouldn't work even though adding some tornado's in the mix would be sweet.

Sensai

Smash Master
Actually, natural disasters could be really neat. So long as they don't **** it up, of course.

I also think that if they made it so that the weather is somewhat independent of where you live, it would be neat (it NEVER does anything where I live but rain).

Severe thunderstorms on a final destination stage would be off the chain!
That would, actually, be really cool.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
i think it should be stage specific. obviously not Final destination but maybe some new stage. i dont think every stage should have weather just maybe one or two. maybe snow and rain. a more snowier ice climber stage. and some stage with rain... dunno what though.

Peeze

Smash Master
Kudos to fleapy to coming up with this idea. that would be nice to see weather conditions chang during the course of the game.
And like items, it could be controllable.

The End

Smash Rookie
Problem with this is that it might end up being detrimental to the game as a whole. Sure, sliding on the ice was cool...so long as I didn't have to slide along on FD while I'm playing in a tourney.

Another problem would arise when talking about online, especially if you don't just 'host' a game. What weather is there on the Interweb? Who knows....

If they made it so that it could be disabled, then sure. I'm all for it, as I probably wouldn't use it much anyways.
Agreed.
Weather would be great for when you're just playing and feel like trying something different, but I could see it being a problem if during a tournament one person gets hit by a random bolt of lightning and send flying off the stage. :lol:

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Agreed.
Weather would be great for when you're just playing and feel like trying something different, but I could see it being a problem if during a tournament one person gets hit by a random bolt of lightning and send flying off the stage. :lol:

well, in all tournament play items are turned off, so weather would probably forgoe the same treatment.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
This reminds me of those tornadoes on Hryule Castle in SSB64. But a great idea! What i would love is that in timestck match, the lvel went from day, to evening, to night, to morning and started over again.

I could see Starry night sin Yoshi's Story. Oooooo and:

An epic battle at night time with Marth vs. Roy, with thunder raging! Oh man would that rock!

Picking the weather and being able to control it would be nice.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah....all these comments and scenarios have convinced me that having real weather affects (for eye candy only) would be really really cool.

Hopefully they'll include a decent camera mode this time. Whaddya think? Oooh, better yet, maybe they'll make it so we can simply record our own matches.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im glad that the bg finally has detailed, not much like in melee, i mean on the battlefield u can c its daylight, and in another images/video u can c a sunset, does changing the bg, which is awesome, and in foxs stage u can see an all out-brawl in the bg, star fox vs star wolf... and in the castle u see fireballs hitting the castle which is awesome, on topic I wouldnt like weather, i just want a good clean fight, and not win cause my oponent was blown away from the satge, i dont like winning like that... and am I the only one that has noticed no shadows in the brawl videos (dont remember if there are shadows in melee, but i dont think so) i would like some shadws thank u...

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Im glad that the bg finally has detailed, not much like in melee, i mean on the battlefield u can c its daylight, and in another images/video u can c a sunset, does changing the bg, which is awesome, and in foxs stage u can see an all out-brawl in the bg, star fox vs star wolf... and in the castle u see fireballs hitting the castle which is awesome, on topic I wouldnt like weather, i just want a good clean fight, and not win cause my oponent was blown away from the satge, i dont like winning like that... and am I the only one that has noticed no shadows in the brawl videos (dont remember if there are shadows in melee, but i dont think so) i would like some shadws thank u...

It has been mentioned quite often that weather would be controlable. Similar to items, so if you wanted a clean fight....weather could be turned off.

You want shadows...? That would compltely ruin the experience!

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
You want shadows...? That would compltely ruin the experience!
Fleapy has a point, your an idiot -_-.

Just kidding ;) please don't hurt me :(.

I always thought that it would be cool if a reply mode was included.

Like you select reply fight from the menu. You battle however you want, then that fight is replayed after 15 on the title screen. Much like in melee, only it's your fights. And you could save up to three fights on your game before you had to erase them.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I don't know about you guys, but I want a light snowy/sleet Hyrulean Castle stage. Also, I want to see the snowprints of characters when I press pause. Those kinds of graphics makes games that much more successful.

.22%

Smash Apprentice
Something that would add another layer of depth to the gameplay could be weather. rain, sunshine, wind, snow...etc.

For example, gameplay would be slower in the wind, in the sun characters would take more damge, in the snow characters would glide( due to ice). I think it would just be something that would make SSBB all that better.
yeah + u could always turn it off

Sensai

Smash Master
Seyasha said:
Like you select reply fight from the menu. You battle however you want, then that fight is replayed after 15 on the title screen. Much like in melee, only it's your fights. And you could save up to three fights on your game before you had to erase them.
I'm hoping for an all-out 'record' mode, myself.

And I never really noticed the lack of shadows, which makes me think I wouldn't notice (unless they were painfully obvious) the snowprints mentioned in Shade's post above mine.

[Edit:]

And to all the people using the 'turn it off' as a response, that's not official or anything. If they DID include weather, there is an off-chance that it might be always on. The turning it off thing was an idea from early on.

[Edit 2:]

Was looking back to see who's idea it actually was. Whaddya know, it's mine. I'm a freakin' genius.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
yes correct the rain probably would make players take more knockback damege ( and would be hard to see and jump too thank you .22% for posting because an inapropreati person posted somthing bad and now its put deep into the world of grossnes because nobody can see it...the hail could fall like game&watches level where tools fall slowly but a lot and could damage others by like 9% in sonic racers or whatever there was an option to turn on or off the weather or you can make the weather whatever you like also it would be day night or evening too

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd like to see different things actually happening because of weather, like wind blowing in one direction so you have to acknowledge the fact that you are moving closer to the end of the stage or lightning striking the stage at different intervals which would cause people to take damage based on the strength of the lighting bolt etc. etc.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Fleapy has a point, your an idiot -_-.

Just kidding ;) please don't hurt me :(.

I always thought that it would be cool if a reply mode was included.

That would be good. although for us tech wizzes you can simply hook up a wii to a video recorder and press record.

But it wouldnt really change the course of the game. It would be a nice feature, but preety much useless otherwise...

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
But what it would do, if you could control the camera during the replay, is allow for some awesome custom videos, sigs, avatars, and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can find just the right angle to see that forward smash send Mario to his doom.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you guys, but I want a light snowy/sleet Hyrulean Castle stage. Also, I want to see the snowprints of characters when I press pause. Those kinds of graphics makes games that much more successful.
If you play Twilight Princess there is a dungeon called Snow Peak, when you look at yourself in the ice it looks sooooo gooood. And seeing as how Brawl should have better graphics it would be even better!

That would be good. although for us tech wizzes you can simply hook up a wii to a video recorder and press record.

But it wouldnt really change the course of the game. It would be a nice feature, but preety much useless otherwise...
How do you hook up a video recorder to a Wii?

(I have one :chuckle:)

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
If you play Twilight Princess there is a dungeon called Snow Peak, when you look at yourself in the ice it looks sooooo gooood. And seeing as how Brawl should have better graphics it would be even better!

How do you hook up a video recorder to a Wii?

(I have one :chuckle:)
the same way that you link an xbox to a video recorder.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
yes. some one else that agrees with me. But yeah I want heavy rain sunny some days. Snow falling or chrerry blomssoms on some sages. Just a bunch of little details to make it dramatic. The need to add elements in the game.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I just had an idea for something. After doing 500 matches or whatever you unlock the fight with Sigurd. It shows your character walking though the field of one of the Fire Emblem levels (not the castle) and it's raining. Sigurd runs by and knocks you character down and mud flies everywhere. He jumps off his horse and the fight starts. But because you're covered in mud you control more sloppily. And every time you hit someone down really hard mud can fly up and hit others nearby.

Sensai

Smash Master
Handicaps are fine if they're imposed upon both people...

...but getting struck by lightning while recovering would just about suck, and would take most skill outta the game. That being said, if I were playing a FFA with 3 other people, it'd be neat to just add a touch to the chaos.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Maybe there could be a character that can control the weather. He would normally just have weather based attacks, but when it's raining his water attacks do more damage. But he could be a special character so it wouldn't be cheap (of course with weather off he'd be a normal character).

Keige

Smash Journeyman
*slaps forehead*
That's who I was thinking of! I knew I'd played a game with a character that controlled the weather! How could I forget?

Top Bottom