• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What am I suppose to do against Luigi?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The matchup topic didnt really help me much on how to take on Luigi. Everytime I go to these tournaments I end up facing Luigi and loses in a 1-2 match everytime. I cant seem to beat him and I have no idea what to do to beat Luigi.

Any thoughts?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i fought a luigi today at a pnt tourney and the only advice i have to say is to tech chase like crazy :\ and single naner locking doesnt work as much as ud like it too. being the physical diddy here is more useful than the technical diddy with nanas in my opinion and watch out because sometimes his down b goes through bananas. but like any match man just be smart and u should have game. dont do the same things twice which some of us have a tendancy to do o.o *rolls eyes*

xeleion

Smash Apprentice
Space, space, space. That's the best advice I can give. If you're conscious of your spacing at all times and you play patiently, you'll do fine.

xeleion

Smash Apprentice
answer to all match-ups>_<
Maybe, but in this matchup it's particularly important because Luigi's main detriment is that he has such short range. The fact that you have to work so hard to get inside most characters is what keeps him from having more play in tournaments. Only really good Luigis can overcome that flaw.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Diddy gets killed at 80% from Luigis Fsmash with a DI by the way. But what do you guys think of Diddy spiking Luigi. Is it worth taking the risk or am I better off to play it safe? Also I have a tendacy of forgetting to ground toss though it worked really well when I used that move.

TreK

Is "that guy"
i know the luigi vs diddy matchup more than i know the diddy vs luigi matchup, actually.
The only diddys that gave me troubles were the one that camped, and shieldgrabbed every single spacing error i did and tossed bananas on my landing frames.

white peachy

Smash Ace
I honestly think this is one of Diddy's hardest matchups. Good luigi's will kill you with up-angled fsmash at ridiculous %'s, his aerial game is top notch especially if you couple the lag cancelled dair approach (sh dair, airdodge, buffer any move, usually a jab) into Luigi's game. Good Luigi's will live to a high % against Diddy and will not get gimped easily. His lack of ground traction can really throw off your glide toss followups. He can do 40-50% combos on you at low percents with ease. I would thinkLuigi can also use tornado to gimp diddy's upB fairly easily, though I'm not sure on that one. It also doesn't help that good Luigi's are very difficult to find/practice against.

IMO you have to be better with diddy than your opponent is with Luigi to win in this matchup.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I'd honestly say counterpick with a secondary. Luigi is nasty for Diddy to deal with.

If you are bent on facing him with Diddy, you should probably be agressive. Luigi really doesn't have a defensive game, and Diddy can take advantage of that and use it to his favour.

You could try to be defensive, but that might be tough since Luigi is so naturally offensive.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Okay, here's how it works. Literally. Rarely use bananas, spam fair, and usmash. Usmash when he's approaching with a short hop, usmash out of shield to clash with his neutral air, just SPAM it. Never follow up a trip with something other than a dash attack unless it's gauranteed. Oh and, NEVER go offstage if luigi is close by. Camp alot of peanuts too. Also you can side b footstool him to death keep it in mind. Yes this is thee hardest matchup for diddy tied with a really good marth.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
I thought falco was? I just stay away from them and psuedo camp. Diddy's projectiles are better IMO and Luigi's close up game is better. IMO

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Don't bother going Diddy and go G&W. You don't even really need to know how to use G&W. Just do b airs and up b and you'll win.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
The matchup topic didnt really help me much on how to take on Luigi. Everytime I go to these tournaments I end up facing Luigi and loses in a 1-2 match everytime. I cant seem to beat him and I have no idea what to do to beat Luigi.

Any thoughts?
Pick MK. Lure him into the air and press B. Repeat till you get 3 down smash kills. <--thats serious

Arty

Smash Lord
I got one piece of advice for you.
Roll Less! You Roll a lot to get into position to pull out bananas to the point where you become very predictable.
There were about three instances where I just charged a f-Smash the other way and you rolled right into it.
And on RC i predicted your roll into an up-B.
So yah... Roll Less.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this advice is pretty old towards any forum advice for diddy but, BANANAS! on the other hand Luigi has a great air game and using the diddy hump (side B) and the pop gun usually cancel out most of the air attacks which is a strong tactic for luigi players and using those strategys has been in great use for me in a match up with Luigi. BTW Luigi in my opinion is one of the hardest match up against Diddy and its takes alot of practice but, you'll get the hang of it. DIDDY FTW -Phaty

skating_zombie

Smash Rookie

Any thoughts?
use a lot of bananas once u get the chance

dats my advice to you

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Seriously, just use bananas intelligently. Spam your *** off. When he is in the air just avoid him until he lands. Then spam again.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
I'm sure this advice is pretty old towards any forum advice for diddy but, BANANAS!
that is awful advise vs a wiigi.

Ya I gave up on this matchup I decided I will go metaknight on any good luigis. Don't look at me like that.

Out of what I read here I think chromepirate said it best. Fair and usmash is your best options.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I figured out this matchup, its still hard but this strategy is easy... Utilt collides with his aerial approaches from above like nair or dair and swats him away (even tho you still take the damage), ftilt stumps his ground approaches since he has absolutely nothing that outranges it, and fair will always beat him if he is approaching mid-ranged in the air. Fair > luigi's air game because it outranges everything he has unless he's approaching with a bair for some reason, otherwise it will collide with it. Of course there are other moves to worry about, but just be careful of them and use that basic rule. And as for bananas, he's immune to them, rarely use them. Pluck one at a time and just throw it at him dont bother so much about tripping him unless he is going to trip in place and not slide backwards. You can punish his trips with a dash attack though. Use lots of peanuts if he is far away too, and never go offstage unless you know whatever you're doing is going to work. Btw DI down, not up if he hits you with the fsmash otherwise you'll die at 70. If you can limit his options really well you're going to win.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Fair > luigi's air game because it outranges everything he has unless he's approaching with a bair for some reason
As if he isn't allowed to approach with bair? It happens a lot. I don't really see how you can win a match just colliding with all of his attacks, especially because luigi kills much faster than diddy.

ADHD

Smash Hero
That's why I said its a hard matchup, luigis range sucks if you're really careful he will have a hard time fsmashing you and getting up close.

white peachy

Smash Ace
I would say concentrate on playing more defensively than usual. Camping might work....although Luigi's DownB approach and fireball can make it tougher than you'd think. Like Chrome said Luigi is reallly good at close range. Jabs will mess you up for real if the Luigi knows what he's doing. Like Jab cancel 1-->Jab cancel 1-->dtilt---> upB will kill you at 60%, and up-angled fsmash will kill you below 100% (if it's not decayed like 75% I think). I'm interested in what other diddy's think of stage cp's for this matchup.

Top Bottom