• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Mario's best forms of approach?

???????

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Mario's projectiles are good for this, but what other means are effective for approach, and controlling your opponent's approach as well?

*Sorry if thread's purpose isn't clear and there are already some topics similar to it; this topic is to get more in-depth on Mario's metagame, specifcally approach*

*Sorry if anyone sees this thread as spam*

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
FIRE BALLS!

fireball is has much more umph!, its quicker, the game slowed down a tad. sheild dashing is pretty good too. but, you can cover your *** with fireballs all day.

in the same respect, against projectile spamming you can run in with a short hopped cape, people trying to outprioritze you will get flipped around as well. not applicable all the time of course though
being able to turn and sh into some bairs is also pretty solid, just make sure to mind your range. (even though some characters can sheild grab you reguardless)

Sheild dashing into a jab leaves some favorable situations too, if the other persons jab isent twice as long as you. (im finding people are habitually doing their jab strings, which will interupt yours if you delay it to try to do other options)

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Sh nairs are much easier to sheildgrab this time around though, ive been grabbed several times out of the air with blocked arials. i think its mainly due to throw speed and sheild recovery is severely lessend on arials.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
i like doing the mario tornado, usually in a sh. it seems like sh's are easier to do now in brawl and his tornado still packs quite a punch for not being a "special" move anymore.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Fire balls, sh dairs, sh nairs, sh bairs, sh uairs. shield dash, or run spot dodge if you think theyre going to grab. those all seem to work pretty well, but the aerials can get shield grabbed pretty well so work on spacing. i think sh fireballs to grab or jab or down smash work pretty well, needs more testing.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
haha I acctually use all of those as my approach Bairs, Nairs, Fireballs, however sometimes I like to approach with F-tilts sometimes to space myself and the cape to screw them up once in a while...

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Fireball as an approach option is pretty much out the window. The inability to fastfall them, buffer a dash after them, or do ANYTHING out of them makes them much less versatile than they were in Melee. Outside of general long-range spamming, there's not that much to use them for.

As far as I can tell--and this is after 6 hours of steady playing--Mario's approach options are either less than or equal to his approach options in Brawl. Considering how shield camping and rolling essentially dominate the gameplay (at least for now), long duration/low lag attacks are your best bet (forcing a roll and/or deterring shield grabbing/OOS attacks), which mean that d-air and sex kick are probably what you should be relying on.

Personally, I don't feel too comfortable with sex kick because it seems slow. But that's just me. I use it a lot less than I did in Melee just because d-air is a far superior aerial to be spamming at this point.

Otherwise, the b-air is pretty godly in terms of spacing/approaching. Using the run-and-turn-around-instant-b-air technique (whatever that's called) in conjunction with DI lets you space pretty well, and DI lets you drift away from the opponent, making shield grabbing more difficult. Plus it has fast startup and it autocancels, so it's definitely spammable.

So basically, shield-dashing and buffering landing dashes (for more precise movement), b-airs for spacing/approach, and d-airs for approach (possibly with some limited sex kick) are what I found to be particularly effective.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
what does "buffering landing dashes" mean?

shield dashing is running in with a shield, praying they don't grab and punishing after right?

I found that the sex kick is super weak unless you do start it right in their face.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
Fireball as an approach option is pretty much out the window. The inability to fastfall them, buffer a dash after them, or do ANYTHING out of them makes them much less versatile than they were in Melee. Outside of general long-range spamming, there's not that much to use them for.

As far as I can tell--and this is after 6 hours of steady playing--Mario's approach options are either less than or equal to his approach options in Brawl. Considering how shield camping and rolling essentially dominate the gameplay (at least for now), long duration/low lag attacks are your best bet (forcing a roll and/or deterring shield grabbing/OOS attacks), which mean that d-air and sex kick are probably what you should be relying on.

Personally, I don't feel too comfortable with sex kick because it seems slow. But that's just me. I use it a lot less than I did in Melee just because d-air is a far superior aerial to be spamming at this point.

Otherwise, the b-air is pretty godly in terms of spacing/approaching. Using the run-and-turn-around-instant-b-air technique (whatever that's called) in conjunction with DI lets you space pretty well, and DI lets you drift away from the opponent, making shield grabbing more difficult. Plus it has fast startup and it autocancels, so it's definitely spammable.

So basically, shield-dashing and buffering landing dashes (for more precise movement), b-airs for spacing/approach, and d-airs for approach (possibly with some limited sex kick) are what I found to be particularly effective.
maybe the n-air is slower because it packs a better knockback than before(first frames)....i m using it as a finisher...ur right...sh d-air works better for approaching...

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Camping strategy: I've found that you could spam fireballs from a distance and mind your spacing. THEN when they get close enough jump uair and continue spamming fireballs. You can fireball after jump uair.

how can mario counter rolling? it's so annoying when people roll behind me and don't fight me face to face! What would be the optimal mario way to punish this?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Fireballs are still a nifty approach...not as good as Melee but still pretty good...I think if you have a platform your approach should be much better...but whatever...I haven't really looked into it that much...I'll probably figure out more stuff after a tournament this weekend

NHP54

Smash Rookie
What about other forms of approaches besides just spamming Fireballs? I have tried using the Super Sheet aggressively in attempt to screw up my opponents' responses to my approaches, yet I am curious what other players think about this.

???????

Smash Journeyman
The cape is good for diverting attacks but requires more reaction time than it did in melee.

*Pikachu's thunder is fun to cape, try it sometime*

NHP54

Smash Rookie
The cape is good for diverting attacks but requires more reaction time than it did in melee.

*Pikachu's thunder is fun to cape, try it sometime*
Well, I have found against characters who have massive lag in their attacks (cough* Ike), rushing in with a cape can totally throw them off. It is just funny to me when I turn slow attacking characters the opposite direction and they totally whiff me. However, this can be a tricky task against faster opponents because then timing becomes more of a concern.

Plus, how does using a cape on Pikachu using Thunder do anything? Doesn't the Thunder just hit in an AOE fashion anyway?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Marios Firballs to Dsmash approach is sick works all the time. But if u face a good marth, they can predict this sometimes and counter. If ur facing a good Marth, u should trick them up some times and grab instead if possible

???????

Smash Journeyman
If you properly cape Pikachu's thunder (The thunder strike itself) it will hit Pikachu instead of you as if it were your own thunder attack. The trick is to cape from the side of the thunder strike a bit (It does still work if you cape it right otherwise, but you may still end up getting hit before the attack is considered your own attack); level 9s fall for this trick often when they spam thunder near the edge to edgeguard you.

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
fireballs.(Especially dbl jump fireballs)

Nairs and uairs,fairs for suprises(if you know your going to hit)

RAR bairs and nairs(im still not used to doing it in tight spaces though.)

Top Bottom