• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are the reasons to ban a character?

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Then I guess you could add a rule that you can't do tornado directly after doing another tornado until Donkey Kong has touched the ground again?
That would be nice. rofl. I wish that would happen. But no one rule in favor for it.

It's called

Infinites make the game completely unplayable to the victim.
Blizzard makes the matchup abysmal, but playable, for Ganon.
Nado makes the matchup abysmal, but playable, for large characters.

Being heavily disadvantaged against a move to the point of unviability is different from being completely unable to move against a move, especially when it results in death.
Yup, and there is a difference between 1 character and multiple characters.

wut.

Donkey Kong vs. King Dedede is not un-winnable.

And why does it matter how much depth we are adding? Is there some line we should draw between helping 90:10 MUs and 80:20 MUs? We should be avoiding subjectivity in our rule-sets as much as possible.
It's not about donkey kong. It's the fact that it's do-able vs 5-6 characters?

And basically it is un-winnable. That's like ok Atomsk or Coney face one of these 5 infinite-able characters that you normally have advantage on without. You are now not restricted in any way in this matchup, GO! It's really un-winnable.

Idc if it's M2K or insert any other pro's name here. It's basically one grab (from a character with the 2nd longest non tether grab in the game) and it results in a death on a totally on 5 characters. It's unwinnable vs anyone who's competent with D3.

Back at dorf, nearly half the cast has something on dorf that makes the match up terrible for him. :p

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring the main point of my argument ftw :3
I don't think it's about matchups individually as opposed to if there is like 9 characters that are suffering. I play fox and Pika. Fox has to terrible, horrible and aweful matchups. At that point just pick a different character, you get 3 rounds per set to work with.

I mean there is no redeeming qualities to some characters. Even if you removed ICs and MK, dorf is gonna be horrible. Even a GDorf main will tell you their character is horrible beyond redemption.

Like anything in life, things are done by the masses and not for the individuals.

I'm not sure if that was your arguement. :p I'm busy watching A pitt arrow combo video sent to me ViA facebook xD.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I was saying that we should try and avoid subjectivity when crafting rulesets, and in this situation there are two ways of doing it:
a) Don't ban things that remove depth from the game.
b) Ban everything that removes depth from the game.

Steam

Smash Hero
you shouldn't ban things to even up matchups or help a character become more viable. accept that ganon is terrible and will never beat ICs.

accept that DK will never feasibly beat D3.

should we disallow MK from using more than one move per second against zelda because he just completely outclasses her?

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
I was saying that we should try and avoid subjectivity when crafting rulesets, and in this situation there are two ways of doing it:
a) Don't ban things that remove depth from the game.
b) Ban everything that removes depth from the game.
Well you can argue that way. It's kinda like saying Death Penalty is legal for all homicides even accidents and self defense. Because we wanna remain fair, if you accidently kill someone thru defense or some jumps infront of your car you're sentenced to death because we wanna be fair to everyone.

Or all things against the law results in jail time and you get the same jail time regardless of crime. So if you J walk you get 3 months in prison just like the 3 months the dude who robbed the bank nearby gets.

I know it seems silly to compare life to a video game. But the idea is essentially the same. Just like LAW there are going to be rules and exceptions. Nothing is ever completely fair or equal.

Every situation needs to be individually judged and looked at, instead of being generalized and lumped together.

I mean i agree with you, that we should just remove all the ******** lame **** in the game. But It's not going to happen. And peoples ideas what is lame and unbalanced is different.

As it's really too late to be following those ideals anyway. Brawl is already heading down a path different then what you stated.

But anyway, i'm gonna head to sleep. got a 8 am Astronomy course ( :urg: ). I'm tired.

P.S. happy valentines fools.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
FreakingMethod:
Find me a person who thinks that J-Walkers deserve the death penalty. You can't?

Well I'm sure I can find huge amount of people who would be opposed to removing chain-grabs, or tornado, or blizzard, etc...

When everyone (excluding people who aren't sound of mind) agree, it stops being subjective and transcends to the realm of objectivity.

Also, we have no urgency to enforce a rule such as "No chain-grabbing". Sometimes subjective decisions NEED to be made, such as is the case with law. This is not the case in Brawl, chain-grabbing isn't destroying the game's depth to the point where a decision NEEDS to be made.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Way to change the topic.

Chaingrabs don't bring gameplay to a halt for one player.
Infinites do.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I agree it's dumb and more reason I thing tech-grabs are needed ina game like smash as a fail safe to stop these from happening, like grab breaks.

Like Lucario has an Uthrow CG on Fox, Wolf, Falcon and Ganondorf, but it's not match-up changing or broken.

Maybe the fact he can grab release Ness and Lucas since I feel that does change the match-up a bit more than the CGs, but still it's not broken.

So if people want to ban CGs, the question is ultimately why we should ban them?

edit: I guess you can throw infinites into that question as well.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Does it really?

I'd like to hear why you think I'm wrong when I say:

While things like MK Nado, IC Blizzards, and various chaingrabs bring certain matchups down to what is probably hopeless, they're not bannable forces like infinites are, because the victim still has a chance, albeit a very small one, to do stuff in response. Infinites, however, make the game unplayable to the victim when performed and also result in death, which is why we can differentiate between them and overpowering tactics like Nado, Blizzard, chaingrabs, etc.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Huh?

Infinites don't make every match un-winnable, that's ridiculous. DK vs. King Dedede on DK's counter-pick is very much winnable. If we used Hybrid Full-Stage List Striking, even the starter stage would be winnable for DK!

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I didn't say they made the matchups unwinnable.

I said that the game becomes unplayable while the infinite is happening ingame.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Huh? No, the game is still being played. Just in a way you don't like, get over it.

I assumed you were saying the match-up was unwinnable because the alternative (the game literally being "unplayable") was just ridiculous. I shouldn't over-estimate you.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Oh, I thought you were arguing something else too. -___ -;

Okay, then here's my two cents in relation to your argument. Infinites radically change gameplay to a ridiculous extent. It's winnable, but can a player really expect to win when they have to run away the whole match? I wouldn't write it off as unplayable(in the sense you're referring to), but you should consider that the risk/reward is REALLY heavily imbalanced, especially when Dedede just has to hold R and push A when they screw up.

DK doesn't lose a stock off of getting Nado'd.
Ganon doesn't get punished with death when he gets hit by an IC Blizzard.
The 6 who can be infinited, however, do receive death when they're grabbed by the biggest non-tether grab range in the game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Firstly, I'd still like to ask where we draw the line between the whole stock and the amount of damage tornado does and the unfavorable position it puts the opponent in (above Meta Knight). It is subjective. We should be avoiding subjectivity as much as possible when crafting rule-sets. So unless there is a reason that this subjective rule NEEDS to be in place (like with Akuma's ban in SF2) for the game to survive, there is no justification to implement it.

On the topic of justification, these are the characters who get infinite'd by King Dedede:
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Wolf
Samus
King Dedede

It would still be a terrible MU for Samus, even if the infinite was removed (same case as what people were making with Ganondorf before). Same with Mario. King Dedede is the ditto match, and is obviously balanced by default.

This means that Luigi and Wolf are the ONLY ones you can make an argument for, and you know what? Less than 40 people used Wolf in January tournaments, and less than 30 used Luigi. These characters also suffer from OTHER terrible match-ups that would still exists if Dedede's infinite wasn't around, and D3 would STILL beat them as well.

Not even mentioning that these match-ups aren't unwinnable unless you are on a stage like Smashville or Final Destination. Most counter-picks have a perfect lay-out to screw up infinites.

Do you really think that this is warranted?

Hive

Smash Lord
Sorry for being so inactive lately, i'm actually not on smashboards much anymore. The ganon/ics blizzard thing is a relevant example, because it is basically a situation where one tactic can have a large effect on the matchup, and I'm glad you brought it up (arguments really aren't about picking a side and winning anyways, but trying to have open minded collaboration to find something true about a topic). But I'll say my thoughts on this and keep an open mind:
From an outside perspective it seems very similar to the reasons we would ban ddds infinite, but I think that it is very different, if not in its mechanics and gameplay nature than in its implementation and the cost/benefits of removing it. Ultimately, this is why its brought up anyways isn't it? Because there is a common perception that this is not a banworthy tactic, but that in a way that is the answer too.

-The first thing I would say is that from my impression of what people have been describing it as (needing a wall- and so seems pretty stage specific) it seems very situational, and is unlikely to change a matchup much by itself, although I'm not an expert on it. That's not too big of a deal because the focus can quickly switch to another similar tactic, I get the overriding point which is that if x is bad why not y which is sorta similar in nature?
-Removing chain blizzards from ics has costs that extend way beyond the ganon/ics matchup to matchups where having this is a completely viable tactic for ics- so its not as simple as just removing a cost from ganon, there are a lot of benefits to keeping it in too. On the other hand, removing infinites from ddd can only have a positive effect on all of the matchups it is in. Also, the only really way you can get a ban to protect competitive play with ic's blizzard is by specifying certain matchups it can be in, which would ulitimately be harmful. DDDs Infinites you would just need to ban the tactic itself in any place it is applied, so its much more feasible imo. I should note that ddds infinites I don't find banworthy just because of its nature as an infinite but because of the cost/benefit analysis that it can benefit gameplay more by using a ban to take it out than the cost of leaving it in. Removing ddds infinites can have a positive effect on the community too (and can be accepted) in which getting rid of blizzards never could be.

So I guess my not so easy answer is that infinites are different from ics blizzards (and most other tactics) because, frankly, they do more for the game by removing them. They are one of the few tactics that really creates a benefit by removing them, ics blizzards seem to have too much attatched to them cost wise both in gameplay and community feelings to make it worth removing (i don't think this idea is too debated). DDDs infinites really don't, they pretty clearly can have negative effects on gameplay and them being banned prior to this in a large degree of tournaments shows that it is not only feasible but generally acceptable. Just my thoughts, but I hope this helps :/

Edit: I'm not actually as concerned if removing the tactic will suddenly make chars viable in end game, i'm more concerned with the overall benefits of removing a tactic. So who cares if samus isn't viable anyways? Is that a pass to ok screwing her over even more so that even more outskilled ddds can win this matchup? If that's the mentality than why allow any non top tier chars to compete?

edit2: also bpc thank you :) I know we don't always see everything eye to eye but I really appreciate your comment.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Ice Climber's blizzard, specifically in the Ganondorf match-up, also "does more for the game" and "creates a benefit" if it is removed.

You said that you can't do this because it would be "ultimately harmful", could you please elaborate on this point?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They are only true infinites on four of them after 120%, if they stale or DDD tries to pummel they get out. Bowser and DK have to deal with small step and don't have stale to help them out.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Okay, first off, Bowser is the 6th character who can get infinited. Dedede can only be infinited while being held offstage, so w/e. Doesn't change much, but I thought I'd point it out. There are also plenty of legal stages; at least 8, that have layouts to enable infinites.

Now then, onto the main argument. You're biasing against characters for being unpopular and low on the tier list. Your argument is that, "Oh these 6 characters get infinited by Dedede, but they all suck/are never used, so it doesn't matter." What if Diddy and Snake could be infinited by Dedede? Would you be singing a similar tune then?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm saying that removing the infinite isn't warranted if it isn't going to effect the over-all competitive depth of the game. If those characters are "bad", then they won't be influencing the competitive depth of the game, with or without the infinite. Comprende?

Of course there are stage lay-outs that "enable" infinites, but most of them AREN'T unwinnable for the character who can be chain-grabbed. Characters like Donkey Kong can camp safe moves like bair and retreat to the side platforms on Battlefield. Sure, it's no where near an unstoppable strategy and the DK is bound to get infinite'd eventually, but it isn't 100-0.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Okay, first off, the competitive depth of Brawl would increase without Dedede's infinites. Ever stop to consider that people don't main the accursed 6 BECAUSE of Dedede? Keep in mind that all 6 characters are capable of countering other characters, and could successfully be integrated into the metagame if Dedede wasn't sitting there with infinites at the ready.

And about DK vs Dedede, of course the match is winnable, but even you must agree that the amount of effort that DK has to put in in order to win far outflanks the simple "Hold R, push A if they get too close" strategy that Dedede will use. It's kind of unreasonable to even expect DK to win the matchup more than 1% of the time.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Succesfully integrated into the meta-game?
Bowser vs. King Dedede = 20:80
Bowser vs. Ice Climbers = 25:75
Samus vs. King Dedede = 30:70
Samus vs. Meta Knight = 20:80
Mario vs. King Dedede = 35:65
Mario vs. Meta Knight = 35:65
Luigi vs. King Dedede = 35:65
Luigi vs. Marth = 30:70
Wolf vs. King Dedede = 35:65
Wolf vs. Meta Knight = 35:65

DK is the only one you could make a case for, and even he is terrible against Meta Knight (20:80 vs. D3, 35:65 against MK). There is no way D3 is the only character keeping them down, and saying they'd be viable with him out of the way is just silly.

Well yeah, D3 doesn't need to put much effort in against DK, so? Saying 1% is just silly though, unless you are basing this purely off starter stages.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Tournament set - Dedede vs one of the accursed 6
Match 1: Starter stage
Match 2: Accursed 6's CP
Match 3: Dedede's CP, a starter stage

And there's a difference between being disadvantaged and being infinited. In a matchup where you're disadvantaged, you have a chance ingame to make up for your shortcomings and dish out some damage. In a matchup where you'll get infinited, you die for making one mistake.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You don't have to use one of those 6 characters on a neutral or your opponent's counter-pick, you could just play as one of them on your CP. Why should we reward players who don't have a secondary (and thus decrease character diversity)?

Erm... whether infinites punish you for making one mistake or not is irrelevant. You are trying to prove that removing D3's infinites would make those characters more viable, right?

There is an equal chance of Mario losing to Meta Knight as there is to him losing to D3, regardless of the infinite. Even if D3 loses his infinite, Mario is STILL going to be equally as unused because of Meta Knight, that's what I was trying to say?

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
What if a player has a main and secondary combination of any two of the accursed 6?

Remove the infinites, and suddenly the accursed 6 don't lose a stock for making a mistake against Dedede. This alone should at least prompt people to look into the tactics the 6 characters have to offer, rather than write them off as "infinited by Dedede, no point."

And saying that characters will be less used because of MK isn't a strong point. Every character loses to MK. And mainers of "unviable" characters go into matches against MK knowing full well what they have to deal with. Mario, Wolf, and DK all have decent MU spreads outside of MK and Dedede; take out the infinites, and suddenly we have a game with three more somewhat usable characters.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
What if a player has a main and secondary combination of any two of the accursed 6?
Then they aren't playing to win, are very stupid, and shouldn't have the rule-set catered for them.

Remove the infinites, and suddenly the accursed 6 don't lose a stock for making a mistake against Dedede. This alone should at least prompt people to look into the tactics the 6 characters have to offer, rather than write them off as "infinited by Dedede, no point."
No, because people will instead go "oh, Donkey Kong gets ***** by Meta Knight's tornado, no point".

Also, you realize that only a Dedede main will actually be able to beat a DK main, regardless of the infinite. I know how to do the infinite, but I couldn't just go Dedede in response to a good DK and expect to win, I'd need to know how to use the character.

And saying that characters will be less used because of MK isn't a strong point. Every character loses to MK. And mainers of "unviable" characters go into matches against MK knowing full well what they have to deal with. Mario, Wolf, and DK all have decent MU spreads outside of MK and Dedede; take out the infinites, and suddenly we have a game with three more somewhat usable characters.
Erm... no, they are still unusable. Meta Knight will keep them in their place. How can you not understand this?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The game is unplayable for Ganon against IC in the same way the game is unplayable against MK when Perfect Planking.

There is literally nothing he can do to get past it.
IC don't even need the infinite against him to 100-0 him.

And all the arguments against D3's infinites seem to be.
We don't like it it makes match-ups hard even if the other player can play around it why should they be forced to.
Yea uhh.
That applies to tonnes of match-ups without infinites.
(Sheik, Pika, ZSS vs fox)
Plus just look at Ice Climbers......if you're going to ban D3's infinite because the other player can't get out until death, why doesn't this apply to them?

We shouldn't change the game to make more characters more viable at the expense of another character, that's not fair for that character's mains at all.

Edit:
As a side note it actually takes time to learn the timing of D3's infinite, I've seen players try to use him and fail....

Edit2:
Sure there are more MKs than Ikes or whatever, but its not like the number of MK mains out there outnumber every Falco, Diddy, and Snake main combined or anything.
Uses of MK in January.

Uses of Falco
Uses of Diddy
Uses of Snake

72+83+119 = 274

307 > 274

Sorry just had to point this out.....

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I think I need someone to take over for me... I get the feeling I'm not wording my thoughts correctly anymore...

The ruleset shouldn't be de-catering to these 6 characters either. You seem to have this notion that the infinites don't matter because the target characters are all unimportant. What would you say if more important characters, in high tier, were able to be infinited by Dedede?

And Dedede vs DK isn't that bad for DK with the infinite excluded. Still Dedede's favor, but not hopeless.

And Meta-Knight is an outlying character. He has advantages over everyone in the game, so everyone is kept "in their place" by him. Since every character faces the same detriment, we can exclude MK in this case. Mario, Wolf, and DK all have a good enough matchup spread to be somewhat viable, without Dedede's infinite and MK in the mix.

And ghostbone, I tried infiniting DK with Dedede on my own time; got it on my first try... it's not that hard...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The ruleset shouldn't be de-catering to these 6 characters either.
Huh? The game de-caters those 6 characters. What should we be going with? What the game says, or YOUR subjective opinion?

I thought so.

You seem to have this notion that the infinites don't matter because the target characters are all unimportant. What would you say if more important characters, in high tier, were able to be infinited by Dedede?
Irrelevant because those characters don't get infinite'd by Dedede.

And Meta-Knight is an outlying character. He has advantages over everyone in the game, so everyone is kept "in their place" by him. Since every character faces the same detriment, we can exclude MK in this case. Mario, Wolf, and DK all have a good enough matchup spread to be somewhat viable, without Dedede's infinite and MK in the mix.
You can't just exclude Meta Knight, he's as much of a character as Dedede. Whether he has an advantage against everyone is irrelevant. He prevents those characters from being viable, that's all there is to it.

And ghostbone, I tried infiniting DK with Dedede on my own time; got it on my first try... it's not that hard...
CPUs in training mode don't count, chances are they could have escaped.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The ruleset shouldn't be de-catering to these 6 characters either. You seem to have this notion that the infinites don't matter because the target characters are all unimportant. What would you say if more important characters, in high tier, were able to be infinited by Dedede?
Except that we're leaving the game how it is...instead of purposely favouring one character.
(like how we shouldn't have starter lists, because they favour certain characters)
And then it's just a weakness of the character, and mains of that character have full knowledge of the fact they have a bad match-up, they should be required to pick up a secondary....like every other character with bad match-ups...
Also, D3 can infinite Snake, and I would never advocate for his infinite against him to be banned.
And Dedede vs DK isn't that bad for DK with the infinite excluded. Still Dedede's favor, but not hopeless.
Your point being?? I'm sure Falco vs Ganon is still Falco's advantage without the chaingrab but who cares.

Can people stop bringing up anyone besides DK and Bowser? Others can escape from the infinite before like 120%, so it's not even infinite until they're close to death anyway. (plus they have reasonable match-ups against D3)

Good job
Have a trophy.
Though you were kinda lucky.

It generally only takes a few tries to get it but I can tell you most of the Smash community is lazy and probably haven't learnt it.

Ninja'd by Grim...while writing up this post >.>

Edit:
Grim CPUs in training do count, if you mess up the timing they get too far away to re-grab. (or you shield instead)

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Huh? The game de-caters those 6 characters. What should we be going with? What the game says, or YOUR subjective opinion?

I thought so.
Don't forget claiming that Dedede's infinite isn't a detriment to the game is also a subjective opinion. We're trying to back up our subjective opinions with information, data, and precedent to figure out whether or not Dedede's infinites should stay or not.

Irrelevant because those characters don't get infinite'd by Dedede.
Okay, so you admit to the fact that your argument is that:

Infiniting isn't a problem because the infinitable characters suck and don't matter.

Lovely.

You can't just exclude Meta Knight, he's as much of a character as Dedede. Whether he has an advantage against everyone is irrelevant. He prevents those characters from being viable, that's all there is to it.
Okay, then, according to this statement, no one is viable because of MK.

CPUs in training mode don't count, chances are they could have escaped.
Did it against humans. Me and my college dormmates wanted to see how well we could do it, so we went at it.

Also ghostbone, I kinda like how you're typing up your arguments. They sound more eloquent and convey your points really well.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Don't forget claiming that Dedede's infinite isn't a detriment to the game is also a subjective opinion. We're trying to back up our subjective opinions with information, data, and precedent to figure out whether or not Dedede's infinites should stay or not.
I have been backing up my subjective opinion for the last few pages, you have just been going on about the characters suddenly becoming viable (which I said a while ago doesn't matter anyway), with D3 out of the way, which I have also countered.

Okay, so you admit to the fact that your argument is that:

Infiniting isn't a problem because the infinitable characters suck and don't matter.

Lovely.
What.

If I was admitting to that, I would have actually, you know, ADMITTED IT. This is quite possibly the worst case of putting words in someone's mouth that I have ever seen.

Okay, then, according to this statement, no one is viable because of MK.
Nope, lots of characters are viable. Characters with 35:65 or worse match-ups against him aren't though. I can prove this with tournament data if you'd like, but I'd rather not go through the trouble, can you just take my word for it?

Did it against humans. Me and my college dormmates wanted to see how well we could do it, so we went at it.
Touche.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Gah if nothing else, look at it this way...

The only character who would realistically improve if D3's infinite was banned is DK

And he still gets beaten by MK pretty badly. (and with about as much thought as it takes to beat him with D3).

So why bother inserting an uncompetitive rule to fix it..

Even if it made more characters viable, it's inconsistent not to try and make as many characters as viable as possible at that point. (eg. Give Ganon and CF punch time)
(and why not just play BBrawl then....)

John12346 said:
Also ghostbone, I kinda like how you're typing up your arguments. They sound more eloquent and convey your points really well.
I like how we can discuss this without anyone starting to troll (seriously anyway) or make personal attacks which seem to happen everywhere else >.>

Top Bottom