• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the worst customs?

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Back here again to mention Ness's Rising PK Flash. You trade power for...only moving up. Sure, it's a decent anti-air, but Ness has so many better options that it's pointless to have less power and mobility on a previously good situational kill move.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
And since this thread has been revived, I may as well add another to the heap:

Peach: Grumpy Toad. Literally has no use because she could use any other attack, and is heavily outclassed by Sleepy Toad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And since this thread has been revived, I may as well add another to the heap:

Peach: Grumpy Toad. Literally has no use because she could use any other attack, and is heavily outclassed by Sleepy Toad.
Sometimes it's not easy to time the counter window right, so Grumpy Toad at least allows you to use a longer-ranged attack without requiring someone to attack you first.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
About half of Pit's are pretty terrible...

Fspecials are basically useless. Quickdash is somewhat safer but much weaker. Interception Arm has a bit more power but has range issues (not as bad as you'd think with a tech) and also hampers recovery.

Uspecials are basically trash. Neither travel as far and offer essentially no protection. Breezy has no real advantage whatsoever and Striking is pretty powerful but still isn't worth it. Breezy is probably one of the worst in the game since it's replacing a recovery move and not something already situational/useless.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Hate to be lazy, but there's pretty much a whole video I've seen that accurately describes the worst of the worst.

If you were to personally ask me, I haven't done much custom matches compared to regular ones, so I can't answer that for you.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Sometimes it's not easy to time the counter window right, so Grumpy Toad at least allows you to use a longer-ranged attack without requiring someone to attack you first.
Meh, I'd rather just use a normal attack with not as much range but more power. I want the special moves to be, you know, special.

On that note, Lucario's Glancing Counter and Greninja's Exploding Attack. They replace useful counters with the equivalent of a spot dodge and then an attack. Of the two, Greninja's is better because it actually has good range, but I'd still rather have a counter.

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
I have to say most of King Dedede's moves. ALL of his customs are vastly inferior to his normal moves.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Meh, I'd rather just use a normal attack with not as much range but more power. I want the special moves to be, you know, special.

On that note, Lucario's Glancing Counter and Greninja's Exploding Attack. They replace useful counters with the equivalent of a spot dodge and then an attack. Of the two, Greninja's is better because it actually has good range, but I'd still rather have a counter.
Greninja's counter is pretty terrible though... You need to counter something like a DDD Fsmash if you don't want the opponent to react to it and shield.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have to say most of King Dedede's moves. ALL of his customs are vastly inferior to his normal moves.
Taste Test is probably the only exception, since Dedede spits out his opponent immediately; it may sound inconvenient, but the opponent can't break free from the attack at all, which is possible with the standard Inhale.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Both of Marth/Lucina's custom side b moves are terrible, and the custom up b for Marth and Lucina that makes them go higher and do no damage is terrible, since normal up b with them is already a really good recovery and can even kill. That both of Falcon's custom side b moves are also pretty bad, obth of them are pretty much impossible to hit anyone with thanks to the insane startup and the one where he goes back and lunges forward is just impossible to recover with (seriously what does this move even do besides make him step back before attacking?).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That both of Falcon's custom side b moves are also pretty bad, obth of them are pretty much impossible to hit anyone with thanks to the insane startup and the one where he goes back and lunges forward is just impossible to recover with (seriously what does this move even do besides make him step back before attacking?).
The step back on the default move makes the move safer since you suddenly move out of the way. Not sure how it'd effect the custom, but the default has a tech that turns the step back into a step forward.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Yoshi's Crushing Bomb. It's powerful, but then again, so is the regular one. No stars pop out to protect your landing, and it's too slow to be a true combo from the ground or a decent option in the air.

SwordM13X24

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sword
3DS FC
4227-4395-5715
I believe there's 2 types of bad custom moves: one is a downgrade to the default and the other is just terrible.

A good example of a downgrade would be like Effortless Blade. It's terrible compare'd to the default, but characters with a bad side special wouldn't mind a trade with Effortless Blade. Like if Zelda could drop her Din's Fire for Effortless Blade, that'd be rather nice for her!

A good example of just plain bad are like Spinphony, Garlic Breath, etc.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
One move that I don't think is bad, but it's kinda useless to have, is Sonic's Auto Spin Charge. The development team must have really been out of ideas, because the only change is that instead of mashing B to charge, you can just hold it. Was that really a good enough reason to make a separate move for it?

Last edited:

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
One move that I don't think is bad, but it's kinda useless to have, is Sonic's Auto Spin Charge. The development team must have really been out of ideas, because the only change is that instead of mashing B to charge, you can just hold it. Was that really a good enough reason to make a separate move for it?
Honestly, just from looking at Palutena and the Miis, you can tell that Customs were an idea that was either thought up too late in the making or scrapped and kept in.

She's the only character with different moves. She's the only one with moves entirely different. The others were rushed over, and Sonic probably happened to be one of the last characters to do.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think the question is relative. Every custom is useful in theory, just that there's no good reason to use some over others. Context is equally important: a custom that doesn't work in 1v1 may work in 2v2 or free-for-all, same with default moves. I think that, to be truly weak, a custom move must have no use in any mode that would priortise its selection over any other custom move.

Examples, in my opinion:

:4dk: Chopper Kong (doesn't project a hitbox, barely travels further, doesn't have the same airtime due to fewer frames)

:4mario::4drmario: Big Fireball / Big Capsule (the other two moves are better zoning options, higher damage output is mitigated by its inefficiency with connecting)

:4ganondorf: Dark Vault (doesn't project a hitbox, very easy to intercept)

:4pacman: Enticing Power Pellet (difficult to connect, distinct weakness as a recovery option)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Personally, I think :4charizard:'s Sinking Skull is pretty horrible. Rock Smash at least covers a good bit around you and negates projectiles, making it a good approach tool in the right situation...but Sinking Skull doesn't. It's just a straight downgrade that happens to bury people. And honestly, why give up good coverage and a way to protect ourselves from projectiles for a burying move?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Honestly, just from looking at Palutena and the Miis, you can tell that Customs were an idea that was either thought up too late in the making or scrapped and kept in.

She's the only character with different moves. She's the only one with moves entirely different. The others were rushed over, and Sonic probably happened to be one of the last characters to do.
According to the documents on the original Smash 4 pitch, custom moves were both planned from the beginning and to be largely slight alterations like what we have now rather then completely different moves.

Only thing that got cut were forth customs, as we can see in the leftover data. Mario's forth customs do work, but then every else's are glitchey blank versions of the defaults besides Miis and Palutena which just activate glitchey animations.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Silver Bow. The move itself is good, but I should be able to run it on Pit without also having to run the Electroshock Arm custom. And a worse forward tilt.

I have been informed that thr custom set I was complaining about is called "Dark Pit" and is apparently a separate character slot altogether. Weird.

On a more serious note, aside from the obvious bad ones like Spinphony and Wakey Wakey and such, I have to give a special shout-out to the absolute worst "trade hitbox for recovery" custom move in the game, bar none. Yoshi's High Jump. You give up one of his best tools entirely in exchange for a... high jump. WHY. Also, his side-B customs are pretty bad. You could literally have a side-B that does absolutely nothing and it would be better than all 3 egg rolls because at least then you couldn't accidentally misinput it. Ass Yoshi to the "would happily trade his Side-B for Effortless Blade or any of the other downgrade custom moves" club. He'd prefer PK Bonfire, or Gravity Grenade, or shocking skull bash, or sideways pound, or Bouncing Gordo, or Liftoff Lloyd, or Flame Wave, or Shocking Cape, or...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Silver Bow. The move itself is good, but I should be able to run it on Pit without also having to run the Electroshock Arm custom. And a worse forward tilt.

I have been informed that thr custom set I was complaining about is called "Dark Pit" and is apparently a separate character slot altogether. Weird.

On a more serious note, aside from the obvious bad ones like Spinphony and Wakey Wakey and such, I have to give a special shout-out to the absolute worst "trade hitbox for recovery" custom move in the game, bar none. Yoshi's High Jump. You give up one of his best tools entirely in exchange for a... high jump. WHY. Also, his side-B customs are pretty bad. You could literally have a side-B that does absolutely nothing and it would be better than all 3 egg rolls because at least then you couldn't accidentally misinput it. *** Yoshi to the "would happily trade his Side-B for Effortless Blade or any of the other downgrade custom moves" club. He'd prefer PK Bonfire, or Gravity Grenade, or shocking skull bash, or sideways pound, or Bouncing Gordo, or Liftoff Lloyd, or Flame Wave, or Shocking Cape, or...
Electroshock is the good move, not Silver Bow. And his Ftilt still has unique uses.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Pit's biggest advantage in customs is Electroshock plus good arrows. Electroshock is a godly edgeguarding move, and adding in the Guiding Bow compounds it.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Electroshock is the good move, not Silver Bow. And his Ftilt still has unique uses.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Pit's biggest advantage in customs is Electroshock plus good arrows. Electroshock is a godly edgeguarding move, and adding in the Guiding Bow compounds it.
My ignorance about (Dark) Pit is showing. The attempt at the "Dark Pit is a custom set for Pit with his own character slot for some reason" joke has backfired.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It can be rather inconvenient, being required to tap the special move button to keep the Spin Charge charging, so at least you're given a better alternative if you're playing with customizations.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

On a more serious note, aside from the obvious bad ones like Spinphony and Wakey Wakey and such, I have to give a special shout-out to the absolute worst "trade hitbox for recovery" custom move in the game, bar none. Yoshi's High Jump. You give up one of his best tools entirely in exchange for a... high jump. WHY. Also, his side-B customs are pretty bad. You could literally have a side-B that does absolutely nothing and it would be better than all 3 egg rolls because at least then you couldn't accidentally misinput it. *** Yoshi to the "would happily trade his Side-B for Effortless Blade or any of the other downgrade custom moves" club. He'd prefer PK Bonfire, or Gravity Grenade, or shocking skull bash, or sideways pound, or Bouncing Gordo, or Liftoff Lloyd, or Flame Wave, or Shocking Cape, or...
Light Egg Roll is the closest thing to a not horrible side special Yoshi has. Also, Gravity Grenades are amazing. It's essentially "press B for a guarenteed up smash."

Does that move actually do anything? I use it because ain't nobody got time to keep pressing the button, but does it change anything from Spin Dash?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does that move actually do anything? I use it because ain't nobody got time to keep pressing the button, but does it change anything from Spin Dash?
Auto-Spin Charge is basically an easier version of Spin Charge. You can always utilize it alongside the Burning Spin Dash custom special to mix things up more.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Auto-Spin Charge is basically an easier version of Spin Charge. You can always utilize it alongside the Burning Spin Dash custom special to mix things up more.
I actually don't like Burning Spin Dash because it gimps the short hop of whatever you have set for down special.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I think Toon Link's Sliding Spin Attack is pretty bad. I've never landed every hit no matter how much I've tried, but this may just be me not knowing the move. Regardless, it's harder to combo every hit, and if you do get a gimp with it, it basically has to be a suicide stock, which isn't the case for the other two. Additionally, there's way too much start-up time on the ground, and it isn't worth the dash forward because you're left open for for so long. Finally, Toon Link doesn't really have problems with horizontal recovery because of his Zair. I can see its uses, though, so if anyone wants to explain to me why it's a viable option, feel free to tell me!

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Robin's customs are so bad that the only use out of them is purely situational and cause more disadvantages than advantages when compared to the default.

The only generally viable one is Speed Thunder if you don't care about racking up damage.

Elwind 3? Enjoy having the vertical recovery of Donkey Kong. Elwind 2? SPIKE ME!

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Robin's customs are so bad that the only use out of them is purely situational and cause more disadvantages than advantages when compared to the default.

The only generally viable one is Speed Thunder if you don't care about racking up damage.

Elwind 3? Enjoy having the vertical recovery of Donkey Kong. Elwind 2? SPIKE ME!
The two + ones are pretty good. No amount of customization can make Nosferatu or Elwind good, though.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
The two + ones are pretty good. No amount of customization can make Nosferatu or Elwind good, though.
Goetia's a pretty good replacement for Nosferatu, as it has a bigger range for a command grab, but you lose the ability to regain a broken amount of health.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Goetia's a pretty good replacement for Nosferatu, as it has a bigger range for a command grab, but you lose the ability to regain a broken amount of health.
Indeed, but as I said - it's situational mostly. The heal on Nosferatu is too useful to pass up as it can be enough to change the tide especially for the slowest character in the game. I would replace Robin's actual grab with Goetia though if it weren't for the buffed D-throw.

I have yet to see a bigger "REFLECT ME AND WIN" window when it comes to Thoron+. As delicious the damage is(especially with the Critical Hit equipment), Thoron's biggest strength is how hard it is to predict if you mix up your projectiles due to it's speed. Thoron+ takes that away, making any brain dead character fighter with a reflect gain the opportunity for an easy KO or KOs.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Indeed, but as I said - it's situational mostly. The heal on Nosferatu is too useful to pass up as it can be enough to change the tide especially for the slowest character in the game. I would replace Robin's actual grab with Goetia though if it weren't for the buffed D-throw.

I have yet to see a bigger "REFLECT ME AND WIN" window when it comes to Thoron+. As delicious the damage is(especially with the Critical Hit equipment), Thoron's biggest strength is how hard it is to predict if you mix up your projectiles due to it's speed. Thoron+ takes that away, making any brain dead character fighter with a reflect gain the opportunity for an easy KO or KOs.
In all fairness, Robin is shut down extremely hard by any character with a reflector. Heck, you can spike him with his own Elwind if you time your reflector right.

Recent changes to Thunder make me prefer default over + now (though I'd probably still take + in doubles). The only move I really care to swap around is Arcfire for Fire Wall, since that can somewhat help offset his terrible landing ability in exchange for losing the Arcfire combos. More reliance on Thunder means I can't afford to take + in those situations.

As much as I really like Arcfire + in theory, it just doesn't pay off in 1v1 at all. Might work better in doubles.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's this one Arcfire that drops a pillar of flames at your feet that's actually really useful against recovering opponents because it's lightning fast and apparently has infinite downward range. Don't play Robin though, so IDK if it's actually good enough to give up the default.

Less that Robin's customs are bad and more that his specials were bad to begin with. :lol:

Top Bottom