• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Reasons for Loving Smash?

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
The title is self explanatory. I've been playing Smash Bros. since the first one for the 64. Since then this series has become one of my most favorite of all time. There is so much I owe to playing Super Smash Bros..

I love this series for so many reasons but my most prominent reasons would be:
  • The Memories: This series has given me so many great memories of matches played with my friends. Even waiting in line for Brawl and taking it home for the first time was one of the coolest things for me when I was younger.
  • Introducing Me to New Series: I never would have gotten into the MOTHER or Sin and Punishment series if not for Smash. MOTHER is now another one of my most favorite series of all time.
  • Unlockables and Collectibles: I absolutely love unlocking characters and stages. To me it's one of those things that help define the series. And although a small part of the franchise: trophies have been one of my favorite things about Smash. For Smash 4 I am excited to see if they actually create brand new models for the trophies as they did in Melee.
  • The Community: This is by far my most frequented site. I cannot get enough discussion and speculation for Smash 4. It's so much fun being a part of the debates and seeing what other people have to say about topics. Even all the support for individual characters is wonderful. Overall the Smash series has an amazing community and I am glad to be a small part of it.
Super Smash Bros. will forever be one of my most favorite video game series of all time. I'm really looking forward to the memories that Smash 4 will help create, the new series that I will be introduced to, and the upcoming busy years that the new games will bring.

What are your reasons for loving Smash?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I really like all the reasons you explained above. The main reason I love Smash though is its a game you can play over and over again, not something you beat and you are done. The fun never ends. :cool:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Being able to beat up Mario as Pikachu. The whole concept is just amazing and perfectly executed.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I mainly love it because of all the new series it introduced me to. It introduced me to Fire emblem,Earthbound/Mother,Metroid and much more. Another reason I love it is I get to see all my favorite characters beat the stuffing out of each other.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Characters, playstyle, music, stages, oh and everything else! :joyful:

xelasseh

Smash Apprentice
I think my main reason for loving Smash is because of all of these lovable characters being in the same game, and I'm a sucker for crossovers.

When Sonic got in Brawl, I was set, having Mario and Sonic in the same game was something I thought I'd never see, especially in Smash.

So yeah just having all of these characters in the same game is enough, and it's truly awesome.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
First off, the series is absolutely fun. That reason alone automatically fulfills it's duty as a video game franchise. Games are supposed to be fun.

Second would be the the fact that it introduced me to new series from Nintendo. Never heard of Earthbound, F-Zero or even Metroid before Smash 64 released.

Third and final, the crazy depth behind the simplicity of the controls. Sakurai and the development teams for Smash Bros. are geniuses. So simple, addicting and easy to get into for anyone, yet crazy amount of techs and depth behind the makeup of the game that, in my opinion truly makes the games shine. All three games will forever be part of my favorite games of all time, and I'm sure Smash 4 will be no different.

Another thing I'll mention briefly is that this is like a super Nintendo gathering. All the famous, classic video game characters throughout Nintendo history gather in this game, and not just limited to the character roster. Trophies do a good job of going deep into Nintendo's history and that makes this series truly special.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'm sorry, sir, but the title of this thread implies that there are reasons for why one DOESN'T love Smash; which is, quite frankly, not possible.

Good day.

:troll:

Lol, ok, on a more serious note, it was because Link and Mario, TOGETHER, in a fighting game. No joke, I saw the two of them, had to have it. Also, the original N64 commercial for the game was legendary.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I love smash not only because it brings friends together and is addicting but because it has introduced me to series that I normally would not have picked up. the most recent game I picked up because of smash is xenoblade which is a wonderful game in itself.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I love smash's smooth disc.. It's slim clean cut hole.
Whenever I touch it I swear my smash disc giggles, as do I.
When the night is cold my smash disc always warms me up.
Once I was crying and my smash disc took me to bed: Smash disc's vigorous actions made me discover a whole new side of me.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've been playing Smash since the first game was released for Nintendo 64.

The reason I love the Smash series was because I always like the idea of having an all star character cast from Nintendo's iconic franchises fighting out against each other. The series also got me into a number of Nintendo franchises such as the Fire Emblem series since Marth and Roy appeared in Melee and Pit's inclusion in Brawl which introduced me to the Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's fun and makes me squee

(That's a cute sound of excitement if ppl didn't know)

Last edited:

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I have a lot of memories with an old friend playing melee. I wasn't very social when I was younger, but Melee (along with other things) really helped me.

Now I love smash, and I can't get enough of it!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
When Smash 64 came out, it just felt amazing fighting with Nintendo characters from different franchises. And all the funny moments when our character gets slammed or blasted out of the screen. It was truly fun times. Then Melee came in and to me, it felt like it was the best game I ever played (or at least Smash). Unfinished, but was definitely playable in every way. The chaos and madness is so memorable. You can play it seriously and improved over time or play it with your friends and just do really weird stuff (dem Dodge near cliffs, Hyrule's "Fight Club", etc).

Then I play Brawl for a few months and the passion was lost to me. Just felt like the game became a little more simplified than it needs to be. And some aspects of the game took steps backwards, both seriously and for fun. But I learned a valuable lesson of never over-hyping myself to a game that I don't know if it's right for me or not until I actually play it. I'll probably stay for the "fun" of it for this upcoming Smash, but I will not consider anything until I'm playing it this time. Only thing I'm hoping for if it re-ignites my passion again.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
1. It's a Nintendo coliseum....the glory.....:love:

2. It manages to actually innovate 2D fighting the most drastically, practically turning the concept on its head.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
First of all, crossovers are amazing, and Nintendo's characters are amazing...so...
- It has introduced me to Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Animal Crossing and F-Zero.
- It's a Nintendo museum...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Nintendo Quality
Competitive Community
Unique Mechanics

I love smash first and foremost as a fighting game. The maneuverability the game offers (rolls, jumps, air specials) and the open boundaries, as opposed to the invisible walls at either edge of the screen that is common in most fighters, makes the game insanely dynamic.

Also, thanks to the wii's older tech, the system is easily moddable allowing the creation of the incredible Project M and crazy sh#@ like this

Lozjam

Smash Champion
It's different. It has a completely unique gameplay. A lot of care is put into smash games, and we can see that from smash brothers. Brawl might have took a few steps in the wrong direction. He was probably thinking if the all competitive game of pokemon can be cometetitive with random elements (critical hit ratio, IV's. certain moves having a chance to give status effects ect.) he can too. Unfortunately it did not work well, but we can see how much care he put into the game. No matter what people say, Brawl is still a fun game if you are goofing off with friend, melee and project M is better competitively. It's just a lot better quality that CoD, where they just copy and paste everything and add a half ***ed story mode nobody cares about with the same multiplayer with a few new guns. Sakurai changes up the physics, items, graphics, mechanics. and I really appreciate that. The music makes all video games weak compared to it, as arguably Nintendo has the best video game themes, and even Sonic and Megaman bring their amazing soundtracks. Everything about these games, they are all special, N64(The Fun Diversion), Melee(Competitive's galore), Brawl(Best Sound Track, Roster, but not competitive), and it looks like Smash 4 (We will tie all these together), and this is why I love Smash.

Elemental Koopa

Smash Cadet
-It introduced me to series other than Mario, Legend of Zelda, or Pokemon
-Easy to learn basic gameplay for casual players yet still competitive
-Great idea for a nintendo crossover
-Unique from other fighting games
-Pretty much fun as hell

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My reasons for liking Smash are pretty simple. The games are fun. I like fighting games. And I like a good chunk of Nintendo's IPs. Also, this is the only series where Megaman and Mario get to beat the crap out of each other, so that's fun.

gramkracka22

Smash Cadet
The gameplay. I like how you can create your own style/combos compared to other fighters that revolve around memorizing combos

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Crossovers with some of the best characters of all time, fun and addictive gameplay, the fun's nonstop, and unlike other fighters you're more free with how you do things

Top Bottom