• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller Do You Use?

SuperFudgeChoco

Smash Apprentice
I really wanna try a classic controller with a custom button layout. I tried the custom controller but with the default button layout and I hated it, but I feel like the classic control would be really fun and nostalgic to play with. I personally use a GC controller.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
GC controller FTW. The wiimote and nunchuck just feels strange. I've been playing smash for so long that I've gotten really used to the layout of that type of control scheme. Doing anything with a D-pad in brawl is awkward.

Ange

Smash Lord
Anyone who can master playing with the GC upsidedown is awesome.

I wonder how it would be like to play Brawl with a N64 controller.

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Um people who use GC controllers on average > the Wiimote people. Also we see Wiimote users as scrubs because it screws with tournaments because people forget to take their wiimote batteries out. One of my matches last tourney got paused by a Wiimote scrub. Yeah. I'm all for banning these noob utensils known as Wiimotes.
If they EVER ban any of the four control schemes, I will lose all faith in humanity. I personally use the wiimote + nunchuck. The button layout just clicked, instantly.

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
I use both, and I tend to notice that my playstyle changes depending on which I'm using. Like When I use Sonic with Wiimote+Nunchuck, I'm dodgy,defensive, and play alot of Mind-games . But with the Gamecube Controller, I'm way less Mind-gamy and more aggressive , my edge-guarding game greatly increases. I also play with a Screw Defense attitude. This is just me I guess.

Pleather

Smash Cadet
I use the Wiimote + Nunchuk, just cause it feels so much more ergonomical for some reason. However, as one person said, in order to use many AT's, you need the C-Stick, or a C-Stick equivalent. The only (practical, so not including like remapping the entire control scheme) options are; the D-pad, and shake smash. Neither of these feel ergonomical in the least, and thus it kinda destroys the only thing I originally found beneficial when using the Wiimote + Nunchuk. Things like DACUS, FF'less Dair's, and other various AT's make me regret my original choice. The only things I find the Wiimote + Nunchuk has over the GC controller are

1. Wireless (Controller -> Console)
2. Feels more natural (to hold; I mean you just have so much more freedom since your hands are seperate)

Now, the wireless thing is a big one, yet you can always buy a wavebird. (Do they even make those anymore?). I despise sitting like 5 feet from the screen, since my Wii is positioned up on this stand, and so I can't go very far without pulling it down, but, the wavebird is a sufficient solution. And as far a feeling better to hold, well, the whole D-Pad C-Stick thing, plus the taunt buttons, and the shaky (pun intended) Shake smash feature just completely counter this for me.

So, in conclusion, I wish I had bought a wavebird with smash. =/.

Rhox

Smash Rookie
Controller Preference

Even before Smash came out I was dead set on using the Classic Controller, and I did so for a few months before deciding to try the Wiimote sideways, which due to it's craptastic layout (in my opinion anyways) didn't last long.

I returned to using the Classic Controller for a time, but one day I forgot to bring my Classic Controller to a friend's house and was forced to use a Gamecube Controller. I was hooked. It was just so much better for me personally that I didn't want to go back. So, yeah, here I am presently using one of those nice White Gamecube Controllers.

Ange

Smash Lord
You mean this thread was "endangered" before?
Yeah it has been happening for quite a few times what Ive seen. The date periods may not be as large tho. Sometimes it got dead for a few days, slowly getting bumped down, and all of a sudden someone posted in it.

This is like the "Anyone like Smashville" thread. :laugh:

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Yeah it has been happening for quite a few times what Ive seen. The date periods may not be as large tho. Sometimes it got dead for a few days, slowly getting bumped down, and all of a sudden someone posted in it.

This is like the "Anyone like Smashville" thread. :laugh:
Someone should close that "Anyone like Smashville" thread imo. Smashville is an awesome stage...wow, I'm seriously getting off topic. :laugh:

Ange

Smash Lord
Someone should close that "Anyone like Smashville" thread imo. Smashville is an awesome stage...wow, I'm seriously getting off topic. :laugh:
Well, everyone just keeps repeating Smashville is an awesome stage, so I agree that it should be closed. :laugh:

On topic: I like GC controllers

solecalibur

Smash Master
classic controler in the long run its worth it buttons evenly spaced out
but its long long run since you probly have 5-7 years of melee gamecube controler

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I bought classic controller just for brawl and I am not gonna use a gamecube one since this is a **** wii game!

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I used to use Wiimote, but after some advice from you guys, I practiced and practiced until I finally was able to play well with the gamecube controller! :)

Neal

Smash Rookie
I use gamecube controllers, but most of the ones I have are broken. I use a silver nintendo gamecube controller. I hate all gamecube controllers unless they're from nintendo. Has anyone used a nintendo wheel gamecube controller????

Blue_Angel

Smash Cadet
I use the Nunchucks. I just got brawl (and a wii) yesterday. I've been playing Emmissary mode and I learned how to actually short hop and stuff with it. It was hard at first but I started out owning normal mode now I can own hard mode.. next up is very hard and then finally impossible mode.

Ryoukii

Smash Rookie
I use Wii remote with the nun-chuck. I might get a classic controller just for brawl but am used to the wii remote with nun chuck

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I use the Wiimote sideways. I tried with the GC controller but I get nowhere...
You are a hero to me. Not even I have to balls to play with the Wiimote sideways on anything, not even for fun or to kid around.

Me, of course I'm the Classic Controler God around where I live, I play others, but only for fun and not for competive reasons, Classic is for that.

Top Bottom