• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller will you use for Smash 4?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
since the possibility for GCN controllers will be gone in this Smash Bros., I think I'm going for Wii U's Classic Controller Pro, but I could give a try for on the Gamepad too.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
since the possibility for GCN controllers will be gone in this Smash Bros.
A kid once told me: "never say never."

But in all seriousness, you don't know if Nintendo will make a Gamecube controller specifically for the Wii U.

SteliKingOfSpeed

Smash Cadet
As I was used to the Wiimote in SSB4, as long as they don't add any new base attacks I will continue to use the Wiimote as it's simple, party-friendly and easy to access, hard to master approach just keeps hooking me back... and it's easy to cheese off Meta Knight users with Pika Spam.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
If the GamePad actually has some good features integrated in the touchscreen, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd have to go with the Wii U Pro Controller instead.

I just remembered there is a 3DS version for this game. Using either the GamePad or the Pro Controller would be a benefit for playing the 3DS version, so I'll play either one.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
Well, I'll try to choose between the Pro Controller and the Gamepad, but it will probably be the Pro Controller.
I wish Nintendo made a re-release of the GCN controller that worked like a Pro controller though

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I can't use the same controller for the different games (VC version of Smash 64 was horrible for me, I had to use my old cartridge, and I play Brawl with a CC because the GCN controller made me think I was playing Melee.) I will either use the Classic Pro for Wii or the new Wii U Pro.

EDIT: 200 posts!

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Wii U Pro seems to be the most familiar to me. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to create a GCN compatible for the Wii U when they've got a Wii U Pro designed for it. All it would be would be a simple switch of the analog stick and four standard buttons.

Then again, this is the same company that made 3DSXL.

I don't know what to think anymore.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
seriously i played the Wii U yesterday guys. the pad is honestly one of the most comfortable controllers i've ever used. it's light, it's responsive, it's still familiar considering the layout is fairly similar to a ds. it's so freakin' good.

rockon4life93

Smash Rookie
That Classic Controller Pro looks pretty swanky. Although what would really be cool is a controller like the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 EVO players use, like an arcade style layout.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
I would probably use the wii u classic controller pro, because it looks like a GC controller, an I need a GC style controller for smash bros..... Well, I'll will have to get used to it, but it probably won't be so bad

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I haven't gotten my hands on either the tablet or pro controller, not sure yet

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Pray to god they have a GC controller or some 3rd party guy develops a hook in.

If not back to melee/Project M.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Either the Controller Pro, or Nunchuk, which I'm actually not bad at using, for an odd reason...

grizby2

Smash Lord
i held the wii U pad for the first time today.
it actually wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. it was kinda wide for a controller though.
the wii u pro controller looks like it might fix the "being too wide" issue.
the 3ds doesn't have those extra trigger buttons in the back though. i wonder how we'll have to play it on the 3ds.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The pro control and U pad are excellent. Button layout will feel more like the N64 and it will take less than a days play time to get used to it. Then you can plug in the Pro at a tournament.

Time to let those rotting GameCube controllers go. Let those spiffy white ones die in their beauty.

:phone:

EliiU

Smash Rookie
I wont be able to use my awesome wavebird gc controller so...the wii u360 pro controller will be ok.

smash64

Smash Champion
well that really sucks about not being able to use a GB controller but oh well i guess ill just have to get use to the new one

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
One thing I learned since the 16bit era is that controllers almost never feel as good or as bad as they look.
For example I was thinking the Megadrive had a much more comfy controller than the Super Nintendo... Before holding them by my own hands.

Emitan

Smash Rookie
For some reason I could not play Brawl with the Classic Controller at all so I had to use the Wii Remote and nunchuck option. Obviously I preferred Gamecube controller to that though.

Maybe I will have more success with the Pro Controller. I don't own one yet but I would like to. I love the Wii U Gamepad but it's a bit big and I want something lighter and more compact for Smash.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
For some reason I could not play Brawl with the Classic Controller at all so I had to use the Wii Remote and nunchuck option. Obviously I preferred Gamecube controller to that though.

Maybe I will have more success with the Pro Controller. I don't own one yet but I would like to. I love the Wii U Gamepad but it's a bit big and I want something lighter and more compact for Smash.
For as I have heard the Wii U gamepad, despite his size, is not more heavier than an average pad, just wider to host the screen.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
I just got the wii u classic controller pro, and it seems the most likely to be used. I just don't see the others being used competitively. Plus, it's a really nice controller :). I also love how the triggers don't have to be pushed in so far to register a complete push. Also, it is the closest you are going to get to a GameCube controller.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
No doubt is like 90/ of people are ofc gonna use the pro pad for Sm4sh well the competetive Smash fans are.

Just that im worried about the design of it..having two analouges on top side by side instead of one high one low..

I guess i will just get used to it also from playing to much 360..

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The pro controller looks ****ing good, but it's resemblance with the X-360 controller is AWWWkward!
It will take me a long while to get used to it.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If I can find a some what less crappy third party GameCube controller that plugs into a wii mote then I'll use that. If not then the Wii U Pro or classic pro.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
I'll be using this:

It can be plugged into the wiimote to be used as a classic controller. And it's wireless!

It can also be used as a wireless gc controller for wii/gc. :D

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Where can i buy this from for UK and how much?.

I've heard Radio Shack has them if you guys have those stores out there. And I've seen them on ebay and amazon. But otherwise I don't know, I've been looking for one myself.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I've heard Radio Shack has them if you guys have those stores out there. And I've seen them on ebay and amazon. But otherwise I don't know, I've been looking for one myself.
iI checked amazon UK they dont have but the WiiU pro controllers have some reallyyy good reviews so i dont think it will be bad to adjust to.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If the Gamepad displays the action on it's beutiful 1080p screen I'll definitely be using it. My TV sucks and the gamepad is essentially just a wider Pro Controller.

I'm starting to wonder if analog triggers are just another gimmick like motion control, that only make fighting games more difficult. The biggest advantage nintendo has in their controller's design isn't the touchscreen or motion controls, but rather dat D-PAD. Nintendo has the sole rights to it's design and even knockoff nintendo controllers from madcatz can't legally copy it. The new Gamepad controller was named after the D-Pad, because that's what people use to call it. You can't have a game these days withoit dat pad.

Top Bottom