• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controls do you use / what is best for jigglypuff?

Peechattak

Smash Rookie
As title says, What controls do you use for jigglypuff, i'm new to sm4sh and i want to try to beat my friends, and i like jigglypuff so wondering what is the best controls setup to use for her.

1. Do you use a custom control setup? if so what.

2. Do you use tap to jump on?

I noticed Hungrybox uses c-stick as attack, and uses tap to jump on, what advantages does this give? i sometimes hit tap to jump by mistake so i would think to keep it off.

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
I've been using the Wii remote without nunchuck (standard layout) ever since DACUS was removed. Partially because I want to be the only Wii remote user, but also because I do better with D-pads in general when it comes to fighting games (I'm not fond of arcade sticks or analog sticks). It's limited, but you can still do most everything on a Wii remote. Only thing I find more difficult are Dair combos (like Dair into rest). I'm still able to do things like pivot grabbing and walls of pain. I find short hopping easier with tap to jump on when using a Dpad as opposed to short hopping with a button or analog stick, not that short hopping is entirely hard for Jigglypuff to do, but I'm more efficient at doing things such as short hopping out of shield into Nair with the D-pad.
Wii remote is probably the worst controller to use though. Back when I used the Gamecube controller, I had tap to jump off and would continuously switch my C-stick setting. It's honestly down to preference, especially now that DACUS was removed. I find setting tap to jump off makes things such as up tilts easier, and I find it way easier to short hop with X then with the analog stick. I get Hungrybox's setup though. If you're going to jump by pressing up, I'd most definitely have my C-stick set to attack. I am horrible at doing up-tilts with tap to jump on.

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
At first I tried c-stick as an attack, but it doesn't work for me. I just do default settings because there isn't any special tech that helps Jigglypuff that can be performed with special settings. I usually leave tap jump on just because it feels more natural for me to fast fall bair which I do a lot. I also am pretty good at doing tilts and Uairs instead of jumping when I want to, so I leave tap jump on. It might be easier to leave it off though...your decision!

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
I don't use the C stick at all and use default controls except for tap jump.
From playing so much on the 3DS version I can still do retreating fairs keeping my momentum and what not.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
At worst, you could switch your Y button into grab.
That's what I use for grabbing items quickly.

But like erryone said, it's your decision and how you feel it.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Please, use the c stick. Just do it ! With consistent cross ups and retreating aerials, you'll be very much safer.

You can leave the tap jump on for say, Up smash oos ( i think that's why hbox has tap jump on, but usmash oos still is active frame 16, just like fsmash, so i guess it can punish a smash on shield but that's it).
N.B. usmash hits an opponent standing on a plateform (at least on battlefield)

Now i find it easier to utilt with tap jump off (especially with the control stick high sensitivity in smash 4)

Nai

Smash Rookie
You can leave the tap jump on for say, Up smash oos ( i think that's why hbox has tap jump on, but usmash oos still is active frame 16, just like fsmash, so i guess it can punish a smash on shield but that's it).
You can still Up-smash OoS with tap jump off if you press jump too, though.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I recently started picking up Jiggly as a second or third string main
I play on the Wii U gamepad (shocking I know, even though it feels like your holding two sides of a small table rather than a controller its what I prefer now)
control scheme:
A: attack
B: special
X: jump
Y: grab
C-Stick: Special
R: Shield
ZR: Shield
L: Jump
ZL: Shield

Tap-jump: OFF
A+B Smash: ON

Its a little disjointed
I dont use ZR to Shield, or hardly touch it at all with the gamepad. So one day I'll find a use for it, maybe a jump or something.
My grab on Y is mainly habit from Zair'ing with Samus. C-Stick Special was An idea I had for helping me get off rest easier in tough situations, such as SH's. After some practice I've found my rest accuracy improve. and as a bonus I can Side B while jumping backwards.
As a separate note this is also my scheme for Wii-fit as the side b spike is something I'm trying to master and this scheme improves my accuracy with said move.

However this is not my main control set up.
Normally I play with C-Stick being Attack, mainly because Samus' Smashes or Laggy and weak and using her Tilts are much more useful. however not so much with Jigglypuff.

As I continue to learn my way around this pink balloon of Death I may end up adapting this scheme some more, but for now this is what I use.

Top Bottom