• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did I do wrong? New samus video.

Gea

Smash Master
You lost, that's what you did wrong. But honestly your biggest thing I see is you get spaced into a tipper, not comboed into one. >.>; So uhh... don't let them do that? I mean I know you know that, that there is kind of an invisible place where you just don't stand/go into if the Marf isn't doing anything. But you did that match. Nerves?

Asides from that he was controlling the match and any mindgames/bombgames you tried he didn't fall into. There were times where you could have used your grapple instead of an empty move after the bomb to keep the pressure game up. (I realize grabs are risky business against a Marf)

Really... you just got outspaced nearly the entire match and he definitely controlled the match.

Edit: And step up that jab game.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You lost, that's what you did wrong. But honestly your biggest thing I see is you get spaced into a tipper, not comboed into one. >.>; So uhh... don't let them do that? I mean I know you know that, that there is kind of an invisible place where you just don't stand/go into if the Marf isn't doing anything. But you did that match. Nerves?

Asides from that he was controlling the match and any mindgames/bombgames you tried he didn't fall into. There were times where you could have used your grapple instead of an empty move after the bomb to keep the pressure game up. (I realize grabs are risky business against a Marf)

Really... you just got outspaced nearly the entire match and he definitely controlled the match.

Edit: And step up that jab game.
So basically...I didn't do much wrong he just owned? It's hard to outspace a marth that good :(.

Gea

Smash Master
Well no. But your techskill and movechoice overall is solid (aside from a few times you could went for a grab or he was in his shield and you didn't jab-trap him) so it boils down to mindgames and spacing.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
from my analysis, i think you shoulda stayed grounded more, there were a lot of times u didn't need to go onto the platform and wd off it, cuz everytime u did, u were just attacked (got fsmashed), i think almost all the times u went on the platform or into the air, the marth just went after u and got at least 1 attack or more off in the air.
pretty much against marth u want to stay grounded ... also, he baited u alot, he pretty much baited u and grabbed u out of shield like when u dash attacked

oh and when he's coming at u, just wd backwards with fsmash, dsmash or whatever, it's simple and u get to do dmg

also, i think u did the wrong aerials at certain times... like uairs should have been nairs and bairs should have been uairs and etc

also DI away from marths aerials, if u versed a better marth, he woulda taken advantage and comboed u in the air

but mostly, i think u woulda done better if u stayed grounded and wasn't baited so much
this is my opinion, if u don't agree then w/e

Mars-

Smash Champion
It happens. I was in a tourny match with a peach and it was really really close all matches except for the last one he 3-stocked me. Usually it just happens that they found something that works that you didn't catch onto quick enough.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Does this marth play you on a decent basis? Maybe, he knows generally how you play and just waited for you to fall into his tippers. I think at least 3 of your stocks were tipper deaths.

Jasona

Smash Ace
learn to not advance. if you know it isn't safe to try to follow up on a hit, charge up or fire missiles. for example, rather than following up an uair by jumping into another aerial, fall into a homing/smash missile or waveland farther away and charge up a shot

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Also, if a Marth has just hit you with a SHFFL'd aerial, don't try to get him back for it. Fall back and reset. I think the biggest thing I saw was you trying to hard for the insta-gratification, which is not Samus' cup of tea at all.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think my main problem was jumping on platforms and not getting off quick enough >_>.

So yeah :).

And yeah I play that marth all the time and usually go even with him.

Edit:

I think I also should of stayed in my shield more because he didn't grab that much.

takieddine

Smash Master
uuh, Marth ***** Samus...>_>

Meaning you dont have to do much that would be considered wrong to lose...

You played solid in the beginning, however.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
In addition to what else is being said in this thread (I agree with their advice as well), I'd say, emphasis on wait more (with moar shieldz), and get in his face more. Like Gea said, step up that jab game.

edit: some obvious errors:

very start, that ff'd uair right in front of him - bad choice to try and predict he was going to go into that, I think. I would have wd'd to the middle and dropped and missiled, then gone from there.

and again, on your first death, you just went right into his attack

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In addition to what else is being said in this thread (I agreea with their advice as well), I'd say, emphasis on wait more (with moar shieldz), and get in his face more. Like Gea said, step up that jab game.

edit: some obvious errors:

very start, that ff'd uair right in front of him - bad choice to try and predict he was going to go into that, I think. I would have wd'd to the middle and dropped and missiled, then gone from there.

and again, on your first death, you just went right into his attack
Well >_>...About the uair..it works lol. He just dashed away, I wouldn't have been punished if I would of just wd'ed away after the uair. If you notice when I missle he will just nair and punish me for it, so that why I didnt missile. Also, look at my uair into dsmash on his shield right after that. Thats what I was trying to do the first time, and it works perfectly because they can't shieldgrab you and the uair has virtually no lag. I punish his shieldgrab attempt with a dtilt >_>.

:).

Another thing, he usually doesn't just throw out fsmashs like that, so I wasn't worried about them, and he punished me for it by doing things he normally doesn't.

3Years

Smash Lord
Nerves sux so bad every1 gets em so dont worry...play more friendlies before the tourney 2 get them out of your system...=)

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Well >_>...About the uair..it works lol. He just dashed away, I wouldn't have been punished if I would of just wd'ed away after the uair. If you notice when I missle he will just nair and punish me for it, so that why I didnt missile. Also, look at my uair into dsmash on his shield right after that. Thats what I was trying to do the first time, and it works perfectly because they can't shieldgrab you and the uair has virtually no lag. I punish his shieldgrab attempt with a dtilt >_>.
Yeah, I saw the uair into his shield the next time, that time I think it was ok, just, I saw him running away and coming back to grab you even before you did the move that first time, lol.

I was probably thinking that you should be on the ground and not anywhere above him - he probably could have seen you wd back and gone forward, but in that sense, there's your bait for the uair. wd back, wd forward, uair? Ah, anyway, whatever works I guess...

thereaperX

Smash Cadet
that's a big negatory.

i thought even mediocre players like yourself learned this in scrub 101, but why are you taking friendly matches seriously? they mean jack **** and provide little to no indication of true relative skill.

going by tournament experience that marth player is far superior to you in this game. end of story no johns.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
You looked really nervous.... that's about is. I can tell you COULD have done better but you just fell for some things that you normally wouldn't have.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Also I noticed that you were TOO urged to keep a combo that shouldn't have been attempted going...
I still see that as nerves...
Marth is GOOD though, he would kick me pretty hard.

AIDS

Smash Lord
well im sure you must have let go of your spacing and a lot of stratagies under presure from the sounds of it, it took me a long time to play effective in turnaments under presure, same with money matches!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
that's a big negatory.

i thought even mediocre players like yourself learned this in scrub 101, but why are you taking friendly matches seriously? they mean jack **** and provide little to no indication of true relative skill.

going by tournament experience that marth player is far superior to you in this game. end of story no johns.
You are an idiot. Austin is a good friend of mine, and besides, I placed HIGHER then him at FS1 which had 72 entrants. Get off my case and stop stalking me. I don't take friendly matchs seriously, and me and him do usually go even, you can ask him. I think he is a better player then I am, and never said he wasn't, so **** off.

Edit: Thanks to everyone else for the advice.

AIDS

Smash Lord
lol calm down hylian, this si a smashn00b bringin you down, but yes your samus looks pretty fair, marth is hard though cause i play with marths a lot to and one missle gets distroyed by an easy marth jab, so i understand why it was hard, but i still do that wavedash missle off the platforms to create an opening, keep in mind your samus and the presure is on him, not you, all he can do is space and hope to get an aproach, you can spam....YOU WIN!

thereaperX

Smash Cadet
You are an idiot. Austin is a good friend of mine, and besides, I placed HIGHER then him at FS1 which had 72 entrants. Get off my case and stop stalking me. I don't take friendly matchs seriously, and me and him do usually go even, you can ask him. I think he is a better player then I am, and never said he wasn't, so **** off.
Wrong. The only idiot here is AIDS for assuming that a smashboards title is indicative of one's true skill.

Once again, Hylian, you prove that you know absolutely nothing as to what determines relative rank. You think placing higher than austin in a single tournament means you two are comparable? News flash, it's not how high you place - it's who you beat.

Have you ever beaten anybody of Xelic's calibur in tournament like Austin? Didn't think so.

By the way, you are incorrect when you claim that you "don't take friendly matches seriously" because clearly you do.

You said it right here:

You play with him "all the time." This clearly implies that you are talking about friendly matches. Then, you shamelessly put in the fact that you "go even with him" during these friendly matches. Why would you cite such a thing if you don't take friendly matches seriously? Clearly you must count friendly matches for something because you cited it as a defense, which in turn led to others suggesting that your loss was only due to "nervousness" and not just because you are a lesser skilled player than Austin.

It's one thing to ask for advice on how to beat Austin. I see no problem with that. But you make far too many johns and/or scrubbish, shameless comments (such as citing how you go even in friendly matches when others question whether or not you are truly comparable in skill to Austin), and believe me I am not the only one in Texas (forget Texas, in the entire U.S.) who thinks this.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wrong. The only idiot here is AIDS for assuming that a smashboards title is indicative of one's true skill.

Once again, Hylian, you prove that you know absolutely nothing as to what determines relative rank. You think placing higher than austin in a single tournament means you two are comparable? News flash, it's not how high you place - it's who you beat.

Have you ever beaten anybody of Xelic's calibur in tournament like Austin? Didn't think so.

By the way, you are incorrect when you claim that you "don't take friendly matches seriously" because clearly you do.

You said it right here:

You play with him "all the time." This clearly implies that you are talking about friendly matches. Then, you shamelessly put in the fact that you "go even with him" during these friendly matches. Why would you cite such a thing if you don't take friendly matches seriously? Clearly you must count friendly matches for something because you cited it as a defense, which in turn led to others suggesting that your loss was only due to "nervousness" and not just because you are a lesser skilled player than Austin.

It's one thing to ask for advice on how to beat Austin. I see no problem with that. But you make far too many johns and/or scrubbish, shameless comments (such as citing how you go even in friendly matches when others question whether or not you are truly comparable in skill to Austin), and believe me I am not the only one in Texas (forget Texas, in the entire U.S.) who thinks this.

You know nothing. I hang out with austin all the time, and yeah, because I go even with him in friendlies I thought I would do better against him in tournament. Austin even told me before the tournament that he didn't want to play me because he wasn't sure he would win. I know austin is better then me, and I have said it before, and I compliment him all the time. You don't know me, have never played me, so please don't judge me. Especially over the internet, where nothing should be taken seriously.

All you do is follow me around and harass me. Stop. I don't know or like you. Just leave me alone please. If you don't like the things I say then deal with it.

Also, I HAVE beaten players of Xelic's calibur in tournament. I 3 stocked Rob$'s shiek in the quarter finals of FS1. I 6 stocked Cypus and Lee in teams with Espy. I have beaten Smiles and SOS in teams with espy as well. I beat DoH in a money match not even two weeks ago.

You don't know anything about me, you don't know me, so leave me alone. I just have fun on the internet and I'm not usually serious. You have never met me in person. Stop stalking me.

Also: I am not pro level, so of course I will lose to pros. I AM getting there however, and have been improving rapidly recently so I don't see anything wrong about the fact that I am excited that I am getting better and doing well against really good players pretty consistently. I never down-talked austin or said that I was better then him, I definitely think he is a better player then me, and much more constant. I was just surprised he did so well against my samus in the crew match, because he usually doesn't. He just played much better then me though and I lost because he understands how I play samus very well. And he is better in general then me.

Please stop following me around and harassing me. Thanks.

Edit:

Also, I'm pretty sure no one else CARES in texas about what I post online. They just ignore it if they don't agree. They know I don't walk around bragging all day in person. I have met almost ever smasher in texas in touraments. You are never there. You don't know how I act. You just hide behind your computer and post bad things about me like you know me. Say it to my face.

thereaperX

Smash Cadet
You know nothing. I hang out with austin all the time, and yeah, because I go even with him in friendlies I thought I would do better against him in tournament.
You do realize that you totally conceded my argument by saying this, right? Good. I said you take friendlies too seriously. I said that the results from friendly matches are not in any way indicative of one's relative skill. You acknowledged that you erroneously felt that you would do better against Austin because of your experience against him in friendlies, and I suppose now you'll think differently next time. Good day.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You do realize that you totally conceded my argument by saying this, right? Good. I said you take friendlies too seriously. I said that the results from friendly matches are not in any way indicative of one's relative skill. You acknowledged that you erroneously felt that you would do better against Austin because of your experience against him in friendlies, and I suppose now you'll think differently next time. Good day.
That doesn't change the fact that everything else you said was wrong, mean, and unnecessary. Also, I didn't think I would do well against him JUST based off friendlies, I had several people tell me I was just as good as him, as well as the fact that I had gone even with him for hours the night before...who wouldn' t think they would do well? I DON'T take friendlies seriously. I screw around in them all the time. I know other people do as well. But the matchs me and austin had were intense, and we kept giving each other advice and trying to help one another, so I assumed I was just as skilled as him, and it wasn't just me, austin thought the same way I did. But we are friends so it doesn't really matter, and he is a great player anyways so I don't feel bad for losing to him,

thereaperX

Smash Cadet
the fact that I had gone even with him for hours the night before...who wouldn' t think they would do well?
Lots of people. At least the extremely experienced ones would realize that "intense even friendlies" the night before means next to nothing.

But the matchs me and austin had were intense, and we kept giving each other advice and trying to help one another, so I assumed I was just as skilled as him
And that's precisely what I accused you of, and that's precisely what we've already been over. I would hope that you won't make this same error again. Hopefully your experience will have taught you THAT much at least.

and it wasn't just me, austin thought the same way I did.
It's called being polite. Relative skill among friends is a tender subject. Outside of course a friend is going to go "oh yeah haha we are pretty even and whatnot." It's just to be polite. But at the end of the day, whether or not your friend actually believes what he says or not (certainly he might actually mean what he says) the fact is what he thinks is irrelevant. What matters is how he's performed in tournament vs how you have performed. That's it.

It seems like we're agreeing on your misconception here, yet you keep responding with the same concession (to my initial argument) over and over again. We've already been through this, and hopefully you've learned the error of thinking that "even friendly matches the night before a tournament" should be an indicator of how you will do vs that person in tournament. Move on.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Your spacing was way off.

The spacing in the use of your moves and the evasion of his was causing you to get punished in extreme ways.

W.Jr

Smash Lord
Learn to space out your move, also be more patient and use the sexy kick more and Fsmash. Plus mindgame, you them.

AIDS

Smash Lord
lol yes your spacing was pretty bad, but if your falco gets counter picked by puff again, falco owns at putting on sheild presure and jiggs sheild breaks, she dies, so its a very good advantage to waveshine and piller over her sheild if that helps the other match, but more spacing, and less predictable, and stay off the god **** platforums if marth is there lmao

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
You barely beat me in a 3-2 Hylian; if we played a 2/3 I would have won, plus I 2-0'd you in tournament hours before.

The difference between friendlies and tournament is all about mindset. Some people can't replicate the focus and pressure they have for tournament matches, and most choose not to in friendlies. That's your issue.

Stick to Fox.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Things you did wrong:

Your spacing was off.
Your defense was not put up at the right moments.
You should never stay on platforms when a marth is near you. You chose to get on them when he was near or below you. It can be done, but it there is a very advanced marth platform game that you should have down before trying it. The biggest of noobs can **** up a samus on platforms if the samus doesn't know what he's doing.
You had an odd way of approaching in this match up. It's like you came straight out of the school of Wes, but you aren't wes. Too many bomb tricks and dairs that led to nothing.

Though at times you do have the right idea in the match up, refinement is what you need.

But...it's clear that you were a bit nervous or something during this match up.

RobMoNeY

Smash Cadet
wait i have trouble with marths to but i spam missiles and Nair them also uair them when there coming back to the edge Good luck next time!

Hostility

Smash Ace
You tried to use the platforms a bit repetitively. And being above marth on pokemon stadium is really bad. Especially when you either were doing platform dash up air, or platform dash missile. Also there wasn't a whole lot of effort on your part to force marth to stay off the stage.

With that said you did better than I would have. He's a good marth, and you're samus. I wouldn't feel too bad about losing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You barely beat me in a 3-2 Hylian; if we played a 2/3 I would have won, plus I 2-0'd you in tournament hours before.

The difference between friendlies and tournament is all about mindset. Some people can't replicate the focus and pressure they have for tournament matches, and most choose not to in friendlies. That's your issue.

Stick to Fox.
I'll stick to whoever I want...Samus is my favorite character, even if my fox is better. And you are the one who said you wanted a 3/5 if I remember correctly...I won the first match and then you won the second, then I asked if you wanted it to be 2/3 or 3/5. I MM'ed you because, despite you beating me in tournament like you always do, I was feeling pretty confident that I could beat you in a money match. I never said I was better then you :laugh:. I wish I got your tourny placings >_>. I just love fox-peach haha.

Thanks a ton to everyone who helped. I think I know what to work on now. Great advice :). Pointed out some things I didn't see.

Top Bottom