• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did they do to Peach?!

B33b3

Smash Rookie
So I played a lot of Peach in Melee and Brawl and she was really great solid character, I usually won just about any game I used her unless the other player was either just better than me or was using their main and even then some times. I just tried to play Peach some in Sm4sh and just, what is this? She feels like she's been gutted to hell. I've played every character in the game, and I would go so far to say she is the worst, bar none. Range on all her attacks is just gone, her speed is gone, she gets KO'd at like 50%-70% now, her attacks have no power behind them. Turnips used to be good, now you have to throw them at point blank range because she can't throw for ****. Somebody will probably come in here and tell me all about how to properly play her now and how good she is and how she has something broken about her, but as someone that played the **** out of her in the past games this is extremely upsetting and just unacceptable. Luigi felt similar but he felt like he at least had something going for him. Peach is just disgustingly gutted in this game. Is there anything actually good about Peach in this game?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
She lost and gained power. Her playstyle is almost the same except:
1) Fair has less outward range, more inward range. It is used for punishes and potshots. Her Bair also has a similar range change. No more using these for safe approaches.

2) While floating you will now use Uair (buffed), Nair (same), Dair (buffed) to approach. This works out nicely, but will feel odd to long time Peach users. I liked approaching with Dairs and Nairs since Melee anyway. BTW Uair had two huge hits and can spike downward if aimed right.

3) Peach Bomber is better overall now. Less lag means you can use it offstage for surprise quick kills. It bounces off shields and flies further/faster too. That means if the guard you can float and Fair afterwards to catch them off guard.

4) UpB can kill up top and slam foes hard against stages with open sides+bottoms. You can get kills as early as 20%. Buuuuuff.

5) Fsmash has no sweetspot, making it easier to land hefty BAMS. Usmash had its sweetspot widened greatly and extended vertically by a bit so its easier to kill with now. Dsmash had its final hit's KB lessened but now EVERY hit connects thanks to the initial vacuum effect. Dmg pls.

6) DAT DTILT. DTILT FOR GROUND APPROACHING+COMBO STARTING PRESIDENT. YIS PLS.

7) Less KB on throws. Better followups but no more killer slap. :C

8) Turnips are still good, but made for midrange baiting and not annoying+long range pokes. Peach loves being midrange during neutral, so it works out nicely.

You should also keep in mind that the mechanics have changed compared to the previous installments of Super Smash Bros. The blast zones have been pushed farther away from most of the stages, meaning everybody survives for a longer period of time. Getting killed via the top or bottom is easier vs the sides. My Peach/Zelda/Palutena/WFT survive at 110%-160% from the sides but only 80%-100% from the top. Soooo just DI sideways and air dodge properly/approach properly.

Peach is better than her Brawl counterpart. She is still the TRUE balanced character, with many 50/50 matchups. Her spacing game changed up a bit, but her ground game is easier to work with. So just keep that in mind while practicing! BTW... Only use her on the Wii U.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Lil Puddin nails it on the head

Shes not worse its just a different game and altered physics. She is still a beast and her versatility makes her almost matchup proof

Put in the hours man. Have fun learning the new game!

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Almost everybody felt she was nerfed in the beginning. However, when you start playing more with her, you discover how crazy she has become.

Turnips just have a bit more lag but otherwise they work exactly the same and are still one of her best tools. Fair is just ********. Insane power, immense range and you can autocancel is safely in a shorthop or by floating back. The knockback has been significantly increased on Fair, Fsmash, Usmash, Dash Attack and Bthrow so she has no killing problems anymore.

She belongs to the better half of the game. I believe she is easily top 15.

B33b3

Smash Rookie
I guess I just need to give it more time then. She feels awful to me, but I guess I'm still getting over the adjustment curve of the game. I'll keep the suggestions in mind.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I guess I just need to give it more time then. She feels awful to me, but I guess I'm still getting over the adjustment curve of the game. I'll keep the suggestions in mind.
We can practice together when I get a Wii U for Xmas. C:

I use her on 3ds and do ok (83% WR and I use characters evenly).

Be warned, she is by no means easy to use like the members of the Easy Army, her MUs with them place her at 35:65 to 45:55 easily. But she has more 50:50 to 60:40 MUs... AT LEAST she doesn't get heavily checked like Palutena, Zelda, or WFT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom