• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do people think of ROB's new tier place?

Sudai

Stuff here
All but red pikmen. The problem is it has a slow start-up so you get smacked at least once (usually more), it last a long time and cause a lot of hitlag when it connects with a pikmen. This means the Olimar gets a free approach. :/

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Yeah I forgot to mention the red one. I don't fight many Olimars unfortunately =/
hohoho unlucky for you, also jiggs is a hit and run character, and tends to be in the air jiggs is very fast in the air. Olimar is based off of getting your damage bar up quickly. Pikmin are usually bait, to make you open for a grab, combos or smash. Olimar up smash is great for hitting ROB below blind spot. But ROB can out camp an olimar user. But last time I check he can duck the lazer and throw a pikmin to take the gyrode blow. I love maining oli, but then agian I use as many characters as possible. ROB in my opinion is the best camper

Sudai

Stuff here
Sad to say, ROB is -not- the best camper.

That award goes to Falco.

Game and Watch if you include ledge camping. Ledge-dropped NAir > Up-B is super ghey.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Actually snake has the best ground control. watch the *** snakes....check their thread. Its crazy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Actually nair is pretty bad for getting rid of pikmin, it only kills non-reds and only near the base because ROB's hurtbox spins with the hitbox. Fair is much better and only misses if their on your base or your back. ROB unfortunately doesn't have a move that hits everywhere, though utilt is good. Still, every time you knock one off, Oli gets a free hit. The only ones you MUST remove posthaste are the whites. Otherwise, ignore and approach.

ROB cannot outcamp Olimar, no way no how, unless you can stay at very large distances from him. On a neutral stage, don't even try.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
I feel that ROB should maybe be one or two at the most spots higher, he does fairly well against diddy and goes even with marth, but he has some trouble with the characters higher than that.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
ROB is too slow of a character to compete with the higher tiers, especially when in the air.

His aerials are far too slow to the point where landing one becomes a matter of prediction, not reaction.

When people realize that all they need to do to beat rob is play really gaily, he'll drop even further. Not below the B Tier however. He's still better than C.

HugS

Smash Champion
Snake isn't exactly amazing in the air himself. :rolleyes:
Does snake really need the air though? He's mobile enough to be fine without a strong aerial game. At the very least, his aerials don't have nearly as much start up lag as rob's, making his aerial game slightly more reaction based. His ground game and his ground to air game more than makes up for it.

We're past the days where every laser and gyro would land. We should all be past the days where everyone sidesteps our nairs, or forgets to airdodge our bairs.

Aside from slow aerials, rob is almost completely lacking a ground to air game. I just forgot to mention it in my original post. What is he gonna do? Utilt all day? Lord knows he won't land many usmashes.

EDIT: BTW, hello again guys :)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Up-tilted FSmash and FTilt, there's your ground to air game. Hell, FSmash is one of ROB's best options to react to, for example, Peach's floating game or MK's Tornado. SH FAir is enough to defend most aerial approaches anyway, what's it matter that it isn't a ground attack?

The real question is, who else would go above ROB? Two or three new characters at best and I'm not even convinced Wario or Diddy belong above him currently.

EDIT: While I'm here, I'll throw in more words about Snake's aerial game as well. NAir and DAir can be SDIed through and punished, making their quick start-up mostly irrelevant, plus suffer horrendous landing lag; his only "good" aerial is BAir. Snake's best option is usually just to air dodge his way back to the ground, which admittedly takes advantage of his fast falling speed but is nonetheless still open to getting baited and punished. ROB can play the ledge better than almost any character in the game, making him quite safe against all but a few characters. (All of which are, unfortunately, above him on the tier list. Then again, ROB is also arguably Snake's worst match-up.)

As far as general slowness is concerned... Dedede? :/ Even MK is slow in the air horizontally. ROB's aerial mobility, thanks to his Up-B, is one of his best attributes. You've played ROB, this shouldn't be news to you and this argument shouldn't be happening.

Sorry for all the editing, I'm just never happy with what I write...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ROB is too slow of a character to compete with the higher tiers, especially when in the air.
I've felt this way for a long time.

Hello again HugS! Why isn't your name purple? :confused:

Mr. E, when he's talking about quickness in the air, he's not talking about sheer airspeed. You have to factor in the ability to turn quickly in the air (which ROB is terrible at) and the quickness of his aerials (which ROB is also lacking). That's why MK and DDD are both "quicker" than ROB in the air. You should know that ROB can't compete with either one in the air.

The landing lag on Snake's nair is pretty irrelevant too. Most Snake's are masters of autocancelling.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This was highly expected. After all, the presence of clear negative match-ups and debatable difficulties against so many upper tiers should've dropped him down a long time ago.

Who gives a ****, though? Certainly not the R.O.B.s. Those who considered using him for his possible high-tier status left him a long time ago and those who stayed aren't staying because he's an exceptional character, they're staying because he's a fun character.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Mr. E, when he's talking about quickness in the air, he's not talking about sheer airspeed. You have to factor in the ability to turn quickly in the air (which ROB is terrible at) and the quickness of his aerials (which ROB is also lacking). That's why MK and DDD are both "quicker" than ROB in the air. You should know that ROB can't compete with either one in the air.

The landing lag on Snake's nair is pretty irrelevant too. Most Snake's are masters of autocancelling.
I was being somewhat facetious anyway, but nobody can "turn" in the air except special cases like Marth's BAir or turnaround Specials. ROB has average aerial speed and fall speed, somewhat slanted toward floaty, and can fully change his horizontal momentum at will with Up-B. Dedede has bar none the worst mobility in the game and his BAir is analogous to ROB's FAir, so I guess Dedede's sole saving grace is his CG? I hope not.

As far as Snake is concerned, NAir's landing lag is highly relevant because that means he can't use it anywhere near ground level without getting punished, besides which you can still SDI out of it and punish it that way. And HugS confuses me anyway between his "ROB will drop" and "not below B tier," that's only two or three spots max which is what I said too. That's basically saying he's already in the right spot. No reason to pointlessly dump on our own main. :dizzy:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
By "turn quickly in the air" I meant side-to-side agility, the kind of thing Wario is really good at and ROB is really bad at.

HugS

Smash Champion
Mr. E, it was mainly directed at those who felt his new placing wasn't warranted. It was even directed towards those who felt wario and diddy shouldn't be above him. They should...

For those, such as myself, who agree with his placing, and acknowledge the possibility that he may drop just slightly lower, my post was to confirm the correctness of their thoughts.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I think he'll stay around 8 or 9, Wario will drop to 12th or so, with Olimar moving to take his place. Diddy may move down a bit once people figure him out, never lower than 10 or 11 though.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well, Sonic might right above everyone in the tournament placings because Sonic mains are fanatical about reporting any possible valid tourney data where Sonic places well but he'll never be above low-mid tier at best on an actual tier list. :rolleyes:

Wario should be lower if for no other reason than he gets screwed by too many grab releases. Dedede owns him and he's easy to CP. But hey, what do I care? ROB beats him solidly anyway. Diddy is all about knowing the matchup and how to deal with his bananas, he's hardly "seventh best" on paper and I think people are still charged about NL beating m2k's MK with him more than anything.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Personally, I think just the fact that Wario and Diddy don't get ***** by MK (and Snake for that matter) is enough to boost their tier placing by several spots over what it would be otherwise. They both get completely ***** by some lower-tier characters, but who cares?

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
From a tournament point of view, I personally LOVE R.O.B.'s new placement on the tier list. Since he is off the A tier, he will be looked at as less of a threat. Instead of focusing on ROB, people will be focusing on Marth, Falco, and Wario. It could cause for some growth in the ROB metagame to be under looked.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Brawl in general is centered around "what is" and "what isn't" Meta Knight.

Oh yeah R.O.B.'s u-air is good... but it's not better than Meta Knight's.

Diddy has less K.O. Power than Meta Knight.

Pit's Recovery is easily gimped, unlike Meta Knight's.

Zelda's approach is not nearly as good as Meta Knight's....

The list never ends...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it comes down to people getting used to fighting ROBs. There used to be a lot of people maining ROB, formerly, it's no surprise that they know how to handle one. Me for example, I could beat a ROB user from around my level with C.Falcon (who's my number... 12).

--

As for what I think about it. I think it's great to be lower on the tier list. That way high-tier users will start to ignore him. I personally like lower tiers better. The feeling of overwhelming an opponent with a lower tier leaves a great impression. :D

Top Bottom