• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do about ******** friends (Brawl Related)

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Ok I have a group of friends who goes to my house to play brawl fairly often. I like having the company for free for alls/2v2's (plus it helps me get that Play 100 hours of brawls challenge). The problem is that they are stupid and unreasonable. Even though it is my system that I am allowing them to use (and my game) they have no problem with taking control over the game (using their controllers to change my settings for the worst).

On a typical visit I can expect:
One of them to take my favorite controller (which I am used to using) and sticking me with crap
All of the sucky stages (including custom stages) to be turned back on in the random stage switch.
Items to be on.
The damage ratio to be ****ed up (even as bad as being put on 2.0).

Now, even with this horribly ****ed up setting, I can still win atleast 1/3 matches. If I lose its typically due to a combination of:
Smash Balls
Getting OHKO'd by Kirby's rock move (with 2.0 on a free for all that is annoying.)
Getting gangraped.
And the bad controller that they stick me with. :ohwell:

In todays case, I atleast managed to get the damage ratio to normal so I managed to win the majority of the fights. Then they were convinced that all of my victories were luck (because I would get the Smash Ball to keep it away from them) so they took out the items. For once, I was happy for their utter stupidity.

Now with the fight essentially back to normal, we go to fight again, and I completely slaughter them all.

And they accuse me of cheating.
They call my U-Air juggles with Marth spamming (not my fault they suck to much to airdodge.) Not to mention it is hypocrisy (because the one who says this usually does nothing but spam rock and final cutter, on people who are already busy fighting other people, with Kirby like every ****ing match.)
And even when I try to mix it up, they still somehow manage to find "cheats" in my style. Just because they don't know how to dodge anything, I automatically become public enemy number one.

And thats where the 3v1 started. :laugh: Yet I usually still murdered them (counter ftw :bee:.)

And just to show you how ******** they are... this is what the BEST of them said:
Pit sucks (even after I owned his stupid *** with Pit)
Toon Link sucks
R.O.B. sucks
Olimar sucks (I'm terrible at Olimar and I murder him with it)
Ivysaur sucks (I was playing Ivysaur and owning)
Metaknight sucks (ROFLMFAO)
Lucas sucks (this was both before and after he got his *** handed to him by my Lucas)
Luigi sucks (^same^)
Sure, its called "juggling..."
B-Moves are better than A moves
Its called a Wii-Remote not a Wii-mote you Wii-tard (as funny as I find this one its still stupid.)
I am sure there is a lot more... but thats about all I care to remember.

So what can I do to stop these noobs from being utterly ********? Is there a way to keep them from ****ing up my settings? :confused:

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Help them learn how to dodge and grab every once in a while(if using counter helps you win in a 3-on-1, they better grab instead of attacking).

Explain that it's YOUR controller. Just ask them to buy their own.

Show them some ATs, making no-item matches much more fun.

Wolf of Ice

Smash Apprentice
Tape your favorite controller to your hand.

Pick the most annoying strategy ever and tell them you'll stop if they use your rules.

Show them a video of 'pros'.

MK_own

Smash Cadet
Slap them....................jk

If its ur system then u should make the rules!

They should be thankful that ur letting them play.

and if this doesn't work then really slap them

Grunt

Smash Master
If people stop complaining about ******** people playing brawl, and use the "official complaint thread" instead, your friends will instantly stop.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Go on the regional boards, and find some people who enjoy playing in a more competitve enviroment. I have brother to likes to mess with settings too. Remember when positively owning in a 3 vs 1 to shout "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" as loud as humanly possibly.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
THOSE FOOLS!
All i had to read was Olimar and ROB suck to see that your friends know nothing. Personally, i don't have this problem, but still...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. Hit them with Wii-mote.
2. Hit them with the Nunchuck Wii-mote combination.
3. Hit them with the classic controller.
4. Hit them the Gamecube controller.
5. If you are using the Wave Bird, take out the batteries, jam it in their eyes and then continue to beat them with the controller.
6. If your Wii-mote has a protective jacket, remove it or superglue nails to the top of it.

In all seriousness, compromise if you want to keep playing Smash with them. Set some ground rules but occasinally be leniate about using items unless their genuinely interested into getting into competitive Smash. If they are, send them here and give them advice on how to be better players. If not, grin and bear because, thanks to online, you are no longer forced to play with a limited crowd or no one (which was my case because most of my friends stopped caring about Melee in 2003) if your friends aren't into competitive smashing.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
1. Hit them with Wii-mote.
2. Hit them with the Nunchuck Wii-mote combination.
3. Hit them with the classic controller.
4. Hit them the Gamecube controller.
5. If you are using the Wave Bird, take out the batteries, jam it in their eyes and then continue to beat them with the controller.
6. If your Wii-mote has a protective jacket, remove it or superglue nails to the top of it.

In all seriousness, compromise if you want to keep playing Smash with them. Set some ground rules but occasinally be leniate about using items unless their genuinely interested into getting into competitive Smash. If they are, send them here and give them advice on how to be better players. If not, grin and bear because, thanks to online, you are no longer forced to play with a limited crowd or no one (which was my case because most of my friends stopped caring about Melee in 2003) if your friends aren't into competitive smashing.
I officially love you. Tiers r 4 queers!

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
You guys have ****ty friends. Seriously.

Your a ****ty friend. Seriously.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Kinda off topic: Am I the only one on SWF with friends who not only never use johns but are all interested in competitive smash?

On topic: Try to make them want to get better at Brawl by beating them repeatedly in matches/making bets with them, 'cause sometimes that want to be better can inspire intelligence.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
NOTE: This technique is considered your "Final Smash," and has a good chance of KOing your opponent. You may also lose your Power Suit during the execution of this move.

But honestly, I'd say you just need to reach a compromise. Get them to maybe set items to a low frequency, and turn custom stages off the random switch. Obviously, nobody's gonna give up 100%, so you gotta settle for what you can get.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You could always stop playing them.

Your friends probably want to win because they know they can't and want to make a point that you are beatable. This is the primary reason why my friends team up on me. All the other settings changes are most likely to further the odds in their favor, which they proved a successful tactic in that it brought down your total victories. You may want to simply stop playing them for a while, maybe never again, unless you really feel they are more fun than the C.P.U., and/or the friend finder.

sm0keyii

Smash Rookie
I had a friend that totally sucked at the game, after he had a few drinks he actually listened to me when I told him how to do simple things like blocking and dodging. He loves playing the game now and is slowly improving and kicking my other friend's butt =)

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I've actually tried to teach them things like blocking and airdodging (as well as some more advanced stuff). All I got were some nerd comments.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ok I have a group of friends who goes to my house to play brawl fairly often. I like having the company for free for alls/2v2's (plus it helps me get that Play 100 hours of brawls challenge). The problem is that they are stupid and unreasonable. Even though it is my system that I am allowing them to use (and my game) they have no problem with taking control over the game (using their controllers to change my settings for the worst).

One of them to take my favorite controller (which I am used to using) and sticking me with crap
All of the sucky stages (including custom stages) to be turned back on in the random stage switch.
Items to be on.
You suck. Besides the controller thing, you get all mad over how they play the game. You actually get mad becuase they have items and all stages on.

See, I could understand them stealing your controller, thats not cool, but why are so so raging over how they like to play the game.
Smashboards complains that people can play however they want, but I guess it only counts if it's the way THEY want to play.

To solve your problem, you can either A)Ask them nicely, B)strike a compromise or C)Leave all your friends and make friends on message boards.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Dude seriously. My friends are like that sometimes but I show them whos boss. One of my fat friends does that and I take the d*mn controller back from his *** and tell him if he takes it again I'll kill him. and who cares if they say your character is cheap??! If they hate you using him, use him more just to piss them off. Show them who's boss. If they say your character (you are currently using) sucks ***, then say ," then why can't you beat him you p**** *** noob?!"

Just show authority and establish yourself as the man you should be.

Tip: don't act like this around the ladies.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Dude seriously. My friends are like that sometimes but I show them whos boss. One of my fat friends does that and I take the d*mn controller back from his *** and tell him if he takes it again I'll kill him. and who cares if they say your character is cheap??! If they hate you using him, use him more just to piss them off. Show them who's boss. If they say your character (you are currently using) sucks ***, then say ," then why can't you beat him you p**** *** noob?!"

Just show authority and establish yourself as the man you should be.

Tip: don't act like this around the ladies.
It's at time's like this I wish I could smack someone through the internet.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Mindgames My friend , and if that doesn't work kick them out and don't let them play, then later that day call them and say "YOU MUST RECOVER!!!"

J18

Smash Journeyman
If these friends are this ********, why do you play with them. It's not that complicated of a problem. If you don't like playing with them, then DON'T. The amount of stupid questions I see on these boards is incredible. From what I've seen, Smash World Forums collectively has the problem solving skills that are on par with a slightly autistic lawn mower. Thank you for the waste of time.

Good night.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace

Items to be on.

Now, even with this horribly ****ed up setting, I can still win atleast 1/3 matches. If I lose its typically due to a combination of:
Smash Balls
Getting OHKO'd by Kirby's rock move (with 2.0 on a free for all that is annoying.)
Getting gangraped.
And the bad controller that they stick me with. :ohwell:

In todays case, I atleast managed to get the damage ratio to normal so I managed to win the majority of the fights. Then they were convinced that all of my victories were luck (because I would get the Smash Ball to keep it away from them) so they took out the items. For once, I was happy for their utter stupidity.

Now with the fight essentially back to normal, we go to fight again, and I completely slaughter them all.

And they accuse me of cheating.
They call my U-Air juggles with Marth spamming (not my fault they suck to much to airdodge.) Not to mention it is hypocrisy (because the one who says this usually does nothing but spam rock and final cutter, on people who are already busy fighting other people, with Kirby like every ****ing match.)
And even when I try to mix it up, they still somehow manage to find "cheats" in my style. Just because they don't know how to dodge anything, I automatically become public enemy number one.

And thats where the 3v1 started. :laugh: Yet I usually still murdered them (counter ftw :bee:.)

And just to show you how ******** they are... this is what the BEST of them said:
Pit sucks (even after I owned his stupid *** with Pit)
Toon Link sucks
R.O.B. sucks
Olimar sucks (I'm terrible at Olimar and I murder him with it)
Ivysaur sucks (I was playing Ivysaur and owning)
Metaknight sucks (ROFLMFAO)
Lucas sucks (this was both before and after he got his *** handed to him by my Lucas)
Luigi sucks (^same^)
Sure, its called "juggling..."
B-Moves are better than A moves
Its called a Wii-Remote not a Wii-mote you Wii-tard (as funny as I find this one its still stupid.)
I am sure there is a lot more... but thats about all I care to remember.

So what can I do to stop these noobs from being utterly ********? Is there a way to keep them from ****ing up my settings? :confused:
I don't play in those settings even with my competitive friends. I just go do something else. To me it's not fun in any way.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I have friends like the OP. At school everyone is competitive and its really great. But when I get back home for the summer my friends all like items on high and all the crazy stages (They're also really good casual players so this evens things out a lot :(. I found it best to just try to compromise. Eventually i got a lot of items turned off and the rest on low and usually get to play random (with all the ridiculous levels turned off).

Although one day is was just really pissed and infinite grabbed my friend's dk to 999% with D3

Also, I've shown a couple of the the light of competitive play. Now some of them are actually trying to improve and when I'm just playing with them I get things my way :)

Top Bottom