• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do during Spawn Invuln?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Just curious what people do during their or their opponent's spawn invuln frames?

Personally I like to set up Dins as Zelda all over the stage then stand on one side of the stage and teleport, sometimes in place, sometimes all the way to the other side, depending on what the opponent does. If my opponent is respecting me/afraid of me, I know they will avoid the Dins (despite their invuln) and I can teleport to them (whether that is in place or to the other side). If my opponent is not afraid of me, they will probably approach me during their invuln the first time, so I will tend to teleport away (regardless of Dins). If that resulted in me teleporting into Dins, then they usually start connecting the 2 things (and think I'm trusting them for protection) and then preemptively run to that side of the stage, at which point I teleport to wherever the Dins arent (which may be in place). Alternatively, if that first teleport is away from the Dins, then they usually just think I am going to teleport away when they spawn regardless, so I put Dins on my side of the stage and teleport in place, so that by the time their invuln wears off I have a protective minefield from which to throw more Dins.

If I have high damage or think the MU is unfavorable, I'll switch to Sheik during their spawn, then go camp on the ledge during their invuln. Simple. Doesn't always work, sometimes I get promptly killed and then I have to transform back during my spawn, which is a sad waste indeed.

During my invuln, if I am Zelda I just place some Dins unless they dashdance near the center of the stage, in which case I might try for a straight-up lightning kick. Really hurts their morale when you get an immediate kill.

If I'm Sheik, I will transform back if they have low damage. If they have high damage I will chase around for the quick kill. I'd rather just get them quick without getting outmaneuvered as Zelda, getting slowly nickel-and-dimed to death.

What do you guys do?

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
EDIT: This is all irrelevant now, due to new Din's mechanics
After they die: I always set up Din's during their respawn. If they come at me during their invincibility, I'll teleport/teledash. You have an absurd number of options, so it's hard for them to read. I just make sure to mix up my options to keep them guessing. If they run around trying to get rid of Din's, then that's less time they have being invincible. If they come directly at me, then I'll try to move to where I have the Din's so I can start camping or setting up.

After I die: I usually go at them and also throw a Din's out. It's the only time you can safely approach and simultaneously throw out a Din's, so I like to take advantage of it. It essentially allows me to approach from 2 directions at once, so yay!

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
With 3.5 Dins, it's prob best to either set a big one up far-ish away, or transform (if you're a Shielda and want to lol)

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
Yeah if you set up a big Din at maximum range, you can call it back immediately and then have a slow mobile trap to trick them into a combo as they approach you. If the Din reaches you before they do, or it's on the other side, you can jump over it so that it starts orbiting around you. This probably has limited usefulness, and it's more of a mindgame tool than a solid strategy, but it's something to do with the new Dins at least.

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Set up Dins fire.
Then teleport pseudo-randomly around platforms/to the ledge. It makes your teleports harder to read when you need them most (if you're aware of your own movement patters)

LonVoen

Smash Cadet
I like to set up a huge din's just off-stage, slightly higher than character height, and with a downward activate angle so that it will sweep across the whole map at run and short hop height for most characters. That plus teleporting about really pressures the opponent into want to be aggressive so they won't have to deal with the din. This tends to make their approach much more predictable and easier to respond to properly.

EDIT: Oh, with a huge din you don't even need to put it off stage because if they invuln touch it you can still dance around it to keep it alive and side-B when you have a chance. Not sure if this is better or not, but it's something to consider.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I usually place a large Din's, or sometimes a smaller one and then recall later. Or I teleport to a beter location then do that haha. Or be really brave and rush in with a Nair or even a kick if they're higher percent

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
It's almost always worth putting out a Din (of any size) after KOing an opponent. It will either force them to wear out their invincibility disarming it, or they'll have to give up stage positioning when their invincibility comes down and the mine is still up. I don't make the third degree Din's very frequently because I like having access to Din's Fire when I need it. If you opponent comes down from the invul platform and hits you before you have a solid connection to your Din it will slowly fly out of your reach and you'll be without a projectile until it vanishes. Resetting it's path is a liability when being comboed, so if your Din goes off track it's usually best to focus on not getting hit. Teleporting between platforms while your opponent is invincible is still the most stylish thing to do while they're invincible.

As far as my own spawn invincibility it all depends on the stage I'm on, the position of my opponent, and the character my opponent is using. If the platforms are right and I see an opening I'll ledge cancel my teleport from the invul platform into a rising nair or another aerial. There's not much we can do with teleport since invincibility doesn't last very long, so using invincible teleport is almost always for stage presence. If my opponent has a better projectile than me, or has been pressuring me too much to set Din's, then I'll use the invincibility to set a trap and regain stage presence.

Top Bottom