• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when someone knows your nanerz in and out

ADHD

Smash Hero
Are there any alternate naner solutions to this? When they just catch on and start knowing when to time the naner catch and exploit them?

Can diddy survive in a big level tourney with out his froot of justice?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Are there any alternate naner solutions to this? When they just catch on and start knowing when to time the naner catch and exploit them?

Can diddy survive in a big level tourney with out his froot of justice?
well, throwing a banana at someone thats just standing there doing nothing (aka, when they can easily catch it) shouldn't work too much anyway. you should be throwing bananas when they are in the lag/hitstun so its literally impossible for them to catch it, or when you know exactly where they are gonna land (like toon link's dair) and lay it there as a trap.

i do belive diddy can survive a big level tourney. I'll try to rep diddy the best I can at FAST in 2 weeks. its pretty much the highest level tourney of brawl thats been held in the US so far

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
well, throwing a banana at someone thats just standing there doing nothing (aka, when they can easily catch it) shouldn't work too much anyway. you should be throwing bananas when they are in the lag/hitstun so its literally impossible for them to catch it, or when you know exactly where they are gonna land (like toon link's dair) and lay it there as a trap.

i do belive diddy can survive a big level tourney. I'll try to rep diddy the best I can at FAST in 2 weeks. its pretty much the highest level tourney of brawl thats been held in the US so far
Dude we have to meet up.

I'm going too and I'm pretty decent with diddy.

So If we could have a friendly 1v1 that would be great. ( @ Fast 1 that is.)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Dude we have to meet up.

I'm going too and I'm pretty decent with diddy.

So If we could have a friendly 1v1 that would be great. ( @ Fast 1 that is.)
yea, we can play if you want. I don't really like diddy dittos in tourney play, but in a friendly i guess they're fine. do you live in FL or you coming from out of state to FAST?

diddykongsnaners

Smash Apprentice
whenever that happens you switch the way you do things with them

for the tournament part i placed maybe about 10th in a tourney with well over or mabey 50 people

IDK

Smash Lord
take better control of them and keep them near you and in YOUR control. If you watch n4n3rz he's pretty good at it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You should have enough nana mix ups that they should never be able to always know what you are doing. Try different variations, like intead of throwing at the opponent, throw behind or above them. Or instead of doing that, glide toss d-throw or u-throw and then hit them with a dash attack/dash grab because they will likely be reacting to the banana thinking you would have thrown it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think it is.

Glide toss toward the opponent, U-throw the banana up, grab, D-throw into the banana as it comes down. Doesn't always works, but sometimes does (especially at low percent).

Another thing is that it allows you to retreat, glide toss away from opponent, U-throw, then you have a few moments while the banana is in the air to get some breathing room (because the opponent is worrying about the banana). In that time, throw another banana, or shoot a peanut, whatever suites you. Or, glide toss toward them, u throw, try and hit them with a tilt or dash attack, if it doesn't work, then retreat back to where the banana will fall, catch it, and then repeat/throw it at them/whatever. U-thrown bananas are often a huge annoyance to the opponent.

Yanki

Smash Cadet
That is the easyest way to won vs a naner, but not all the diddys play as that style, i can do a nicer combos also i use all the punchs and kicks, if u fight vs me and u can cach de bananas, i just play whit combos ;), the naners have just the half of the real power of diddy ;).

denizen

Smash Apprentice
when this happens...work on the metagames...i find that when someone is starting to catch onto my bananas i'll start delaying my throws or giving them different types of looks. basically don't get predictable

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
You don't think throwing bananas up is a viable mixup strategy?
well, im not saying its a viable mixup strategy, but im personally not a big fan of throwing a banana up. i'd rather do down than up, but thats just me. I do, however, like AZ's retreating example of tossing a banana up. Maybe ill try to work at it more, and who knows, i may come to like it

but as of right now...nah, not a technique i put into practice

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I don't really throw them up unless my opponent is above me.

I like the down better too, but I think throwing a banana up definitely has some benefits.

I think one of the best things it can be used for is to pull out another banana, but I'm not really a big user of it so I'm not really qualified to say what's best to use it for (I'd probably go with AZ's advice).

This thread is about mixing up your own playstyle and thinking about things you wouldn't normally do, which would allow you to overcome an opponent who's used to the things you do. In which case since I rarely throw my bananas up, I think it would be a great idea to try that as a mixup. I think the best way to come up with things to mix your game up with is either to fool around yourself, or to ask the other people on this forum what they like to do in certain situations. That way everyone gets to share all the strategies, developing the metagame.

I've tried mixing glide toss down into my style but find it generally less effective than glide toss forward. The best time I've found to glide toss down instead of forward is out of a shield. I don't think it can be reflected (I haven't fiddled with that though), and I'm not sure if it can make them trip out of their shield, but I do know that it makes them slip on the banana instead of being knocked down by it.

Here's something I've looked into:

There's an interesting setup that you can create with a glide toss down. If you're close enough, you and your banana will end up on opposite sides of your opponent, which can be very useful for further comboing: moves with low knockback like Dtilt (Dsmash works at low %, Fsmash* and Ftilt* will send them over the banana regardless of %) will make them trip on the banana again. Unfortunately you have to be pretty close to end up behind them from the glide, otherwise you end up between the banana and your opponent, which is nice but I don't think is quite as good.

*If used at low % your opponent won't end up far past the banana, so you can try for a dash attack pickup to hit them and continue the combo.

Top Bottom