• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think the next gen 3DS and Wii U will have/be called?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Seeing how amazing the 3DS is, I was thinking how they would make it even better in the next generation. So I was thinking of making this thread on how you think they could make it even better. Also, I would like to see what name you think the Wii U would have.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, seeing as the first system was called the 3DS, THEN came the 2DS...

Added with the fact everyone liked making things thinner and sleeker

I suspect the next system will be the 1DS. Play your games in 1 Dimension

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think Nintendo will drop the "Wii" and return to simply "Nintendo". I bet the "Nintendo U" would sell better than the "Wii U".

Before recently, I wouldn't consider the "4DS" a plausibility, but considering they actually made a 2DS, that's totally possible. The DS brand has strength and it could continue evolving as such. I could also see them coming up with a totally new handheld, or merging handheld and console. Imagine some sort of portable-sized hybrid controller-handheld that would function as equal parts Wii U gamepad and 3DS. Or rather, if we could sync our 3DS to be the gamepad for the Wii U.

Furthermore, I do not foresee Nintendo dropping out of the hardware race anytime soon. They're sitting on enough money that they could afford to flop a couple more times thanks to Wii, DS, and 3DS sales. Nintendo flopped before (see: Virtual Boy) so even if the Wii U tanks (it probably won't) they'll recover. Hell, the Gamecube was outsold by the PS2 and Xbox but what did Nintendo do come 7th Gen? They owned. I really want to see Nintendo succeed.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I see Nintendo bringing out a new console in 4 years. And I see it being a hybrid home console and handheld. Though, that's just what I think when it comes to their console and handheld divisions joining together. Like Spire said, Nintendo will not drop out of the hardware business any time soon. They're too proud and honestly, I trust their products more than Microsoft's (Sony has generally a good track record).

The future of Wii U is troubling, but I'm confident they can turn it around. I don't think there's going to be this massive leap between Wii U and the X1/PS4 like a lot of people seem to believe. On paper, yes, there is a difference. But looking at the direction the gaming industry is going towards, AAA games will be few and far in between and indies are really starting to take over. I'm actually looking forward to more indie games on all platforms more than I am those big budget games. The indie games are just so different and fresh. I admit, though, that they kinda overdo the whole "retro" theme, but gameplay-wise, they're just more engaging and bring a breathe of fresh air along with them. I'm tired of the stagnant shooters that's been overpopulating the market as well as those short time wasters I see a lot on smartphones.

Good platformers are MIA for the most part, JRPGs are kinda becoming stale... A lot of games from these big publishers are just starting to become a bore. Nintendo and several other publishers do keep me coming back. The western market have this mindset that Americans just want to play Football games and shoot people. And I'm happy some have done something different with established genres (Borderlands by Gearbox especially).

Anyhow, if the Wii U has original and creative games available, I can see it really taking off. A lot of games on PS4 and Xbox One that have been announced, in my eyes, are getting the same experiences from this past generation with better textures. That's the industry though. Even Nintendo has done it plenty of times. NSMB2 was a disappointment for me. I did enjoy it, but honestly, it wasn't what I expected. They could have done a lot more in utilizing the 3DS and played it way too safe. And that's what I'm getting from these upcoming games on next-gen consoles. Playing way too safe. For good reason, I suppose. Not everyone has the money to spend on new properties considering the risks in the business.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
I doubt the next handheld made by Nintendo will be called, "4DS". It's plain silly in fact.

The 3DS was sold as a handheld that could project 3D screens, while the 2DS projected only 2D screens.

But hey, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They could come out and say they're making a handheld called the 4DS.

EDIT: And then I realize this thread is old and somebody bumped it :I

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The next handheld will project the game as holograms, or plug directly into your brain and allow you to see the game without the need for a screen.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
3DS's successer: Nintendo's probably dropping the Nintendo DS brand, so I'm going to be creative and say Nintendo Zero.
Wii U #2: HOPEFULLY the Nintendo Stream or something along those lines.
Combined: Nintendo Fusion.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, seeing as the first system was called the 3DS, THEN came the 2DS...

Added with the fact everyone liked making things thinner and sleeker

I suspect the next system will be the 1DS. Play your games in 1 Dimension
You're so funny, I'm dying of laughter, oh! So funny!

Top Bottom