• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What DO You Want for a Smash Game?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
More Balanced Stages? Personal choice in Music? Game Modes?

I would mind seeing different fighting styles/stances for certain(or many) characters. Namely, for Mario, he would go something like this:

Game A: Main Mario: Rely on punches, kicks, and the Firebrand.
Game B: Tool Mario: Uses the Golden Hammer(M&L:SS) and the F.L.U.D.D.
Game C: Dr. Mario: More personal and combat oriented.

Something kinda similar to Mortal Kombat X(or Deadly Alliance).

Also, a better Representation of Nintendo History.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Musical modability would be sweet, but won't happen (at least PM scratches that itch).

More characters, balance patches on a more regular basis, gimmick-toggles (instead of omega form).

A Custom Move shop using ingame coins (not that it would help me at this point but I know many others who would benefit greatly). Split moves from equipment and allow them in For Glory.

And the abovementioned stances-type thing would be fun, too, though personally customs scratch that itch for me.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
There are plenty of things I want for this game.

First of all, I want the difficulty scale to go. It worked in Kid Icarus Uprising but in this game its just plain stupid. The difficulty in Classic shouldn't be bogged down every time you lose. I would make all the custom moves unlocked from the start, or at least make them easier to get. I'd get rid of duplicate items as well because that's a complete pain in the ass. An option to turn off stages hazards would be very nice, and a more diverse in stage selection would be pretty cool. Seriously, we have 2 Animal Crossing stages which are the same thing, 2 Mario Kart stages, 2 Wuhu Island stages, ect. I want the stage builder to be more polished with more options for customization, a less ****ty main mode for the game (Smash Tour sucks really badly), a mode that lets you pick multiple characters for a single match, a good Classic Mode. I want Wario's shoulder barge side Smash back, Bowser and DK should have their actual voices and Mario should smile. Lucina should be given Roy's gimmick. I want Lucas, Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers back in action. I'd put in Melee stages but not the ones that have aged like ****, because the ones in the Wii U version should have stayed back in Melee. Temple should be scrapped and replaced with a better stage. Zelda should be a good character for once.

so many complaints

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
Being able to choose between multiple victory themes. I want to hear Ness's from Melee again.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, an adventure mode to start, as well as the removal of Smash Tour in the next installment (I did not find it fun in the least, I only did it for Pac-Land). The SSE was one of the best parts of Brawl, and not including a new adventure just because "people will upload the cutscenes" is not a good excuse - uploading cutscenes has happened in many video games, not just Brawl (you've seen how many people have uploaded cutscenes from South Park: The Stick of Truth, right?). That's like saying a sports league needs to reduce the amount of teams it sends to its playoffs because of the amount of weak teams that get in (when in fact, in one case, expansion is needed).

Also, all past veterans should return, even if not part of the initial release - meaning some veterans would be DLC. A total of 61 characters have been playable in Smash over the years (including all three styles of the Mii Fighter, plus characters that could previously change between different forms mid-match, counting each form separately, but not counting alternate skins like Alph or the Koopalings).

To address technical issues with the 3DS, if we have 2 versions like with SSB4, having version-exclusive characters should not be a problem. I would say five exclusive characters per version, all from lesser-known titles, with the Wii U version's characters coming from home console games (one of them being the Ice Climbers) and the 3DS version's characters from handheld games. That's if the new games are even on the Wii U and 3DS.

Also, one big new feature involving music - the ability to use custom music (like MP3s) that is on an SD card. I like to play my favorite classic metal tracks when I Smash, but now I need to play the songs from my computer.

Minigames would also receive a major overhaul. Classic minigames like the old Break the Targets (as well as the current Target Smash), Board the Platforms, and Race to the Finish should return, as well as Home Run Contest. I'd also like to see new minigames, for example, a Swim Race minigame that expands on the game's swimming mechanic, where you can race against others (humans or CPU), or do a time trial. As well, I'd like character-specific minigames, meaning each character would get a minigame exclusive to them. For instance, Pikachu could navigate through a maze and when he gets out, he finds a piece of cheese at the end (a reference to something done with real-life mice).

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
-bring back the old minigames,makes me wonder why board the platforms hasn't made a return

-adventure mode

-customizable music,being able to play your own music would be a blast(too bad this won't happen)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Alpha Battlefield form for stages.

MOAR Music.

An easier way to get customs.

failsnail99

Smash Cadet
well first of all, more forms than just omega Like MaskO'Gears said alpha for a battlefield form,beta for a smashville form, etc etc. also character specific break the targets minigame, removal of smash tour,bringing back a SSE like mode or at least adventure mode and finally the difficulty scale should be replaced by the original smash difficulty system.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Customs shop would be nice.

Overall, I wish sometimes the characters move sets were more reflective of their vast collection of games, like if Mario and Luigi's fAir's were the hammer swing from Superstar Saga.

I wouldn't mind having DLC characters, apart from Mewtwo. Issac from Golden Sun would be insta-bought.

I miss directional air dodges, but they aren't coming back and I've come to peace with that. I wish Luigi wasn't so darn slippery, and that we got Link Between Worlds Link instead of Toon Link. (don't hate me)

Over everything else, something other than Omega Mode stages for online. Alpha Mode or something for a Battlefield thing.

Last edited:

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I want a game that can satisfy both the competitive and casual players. I doubt that will ever happen though.

_Vicious_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vicious09
i would like to have the option to team up with a friend online and have a team

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is what I would like to see in a Smash game.

SMASH (the versus mode)
  • Smash - time, stock, and coin battles are back; new boost battles where Smash Run stat boosts appear when you attack opponents
  • 8-Player Smash
  • Special Smash
  • Royal Smash - based on final battles in Smash Tour; each player selects multiple characters as stocks
  • Rules - no more resetting to default rules every time you turn off the game
  • Training - felt it was appropriate here than with Games & More

ONLINE (with friends or with anyone)
  • Smash With Friends - make up your rules; custom fighters allowed; most stage hazards removed to reduce online lag
  • Smash For Fun - no custom fighters allowed; most stage hazards removed to reduce online lag
  • Smash For Glory - no custom fighters allowed; stages come in Battlefield (Alpha) and Final Destination (Omega) forms
  • Smash Run Online - with friends only; custom fighters allowed

ARCADE (solo and group adventure mini-games)
  • Smash Run - 20+ labyrinths based on different franchises instead of just one generic labyrinth
  • Crazy Orders
  • All-Star Mode - in chronological order; 8 opponents per battle
  • Boss Battles - like All-Star Mode but with Smash Run bosses
  • Multi-Man Smash - no more 15-Minute Smash
  • Vs Enemy Team - like Multi-Man Smash but with Smash Run enemies

STADIUM (solo and group party mini-games)
  • Target Smash
  • Board the Platforms - this needs to come back
  • Trophy Rush
  • Crystal Smash - I liked breaking the crystals in Smash Run
  • Home Run Contest
  • Target Blast
  • Race to the Finish
  • Climb to the Finish

STUDIO (custom)
  • amiibo
  • Mii Fighters - customize special moves based on fighter type
  • Characters
  • Wandering Heroes - cats, dogs, and bunnies from StreetPass Mii Plaza; customize special moves based on shirt color
  • Stage Builder
  • Music Maker - customize music to use on custom stages

VAULT
  • Trophies - organize them by Series or by Category; rearrange trophies and take pictures of trophies in Hoard mode
  • Custom Parts - view your collection of equipment, special moves, headgear, outfits, and powers
  • Shop - use coins to buy trophies and custom parts
  • Album - view pictures and draw on pictures
  • Movies - view replays, individual character tutorial videos with tips (including the general how-to-play video), veteran trailers, newcomer trailers
  • Sounds - My Music, listen to music and voices, check your CD collection
  • Badges - a new system that combines Challenges, Stats, and Milestones; it is like collecting medals in Hyrule Warriors and badges in Animal Crossing: New Leaf but without the frustrating and repetitive challenges
  • Records - view fighter records

INSTRUCTION MANUAL
  • it is just an electronic instruction manual

D

Deleted member

Item lists
So you don't have to manually set the items each time you wish to play certain combinations.
Palette Editor
So you can make custom colors for your characters.
Co-Op Modes For Online
So you can play with your friends far away and unlock things together.
The Fan Item Back
It's such a fun item, especially to throw.
Random Enemies Spawning From Items Back
and also a toggle for the enemies so you can have enemy horde matches!
Adventure Mode Back
Practically the best Single Player mode along side Melee's Event Matches.
Break The Targets Back
While also retaining the way it was done in Melee and Smash 64 where it would test your knowledge of the character and teach you how to play your character at the same time.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Bring back Break the Targets too. Target Blast just isn't the same.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
My friend immediately declared Sm4sh to be worse than brawl without playing a single game of it when he discovered there was no adventure mode. So that'd be nice.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
A good Single Player is a big one. In fact if Smash 4 didn't have online, I would hardly ever play it. Have classic mode closer to how it was in Melee but also include "Board the Platforms" and perhaps 1 or 2 new bonus stages. If they change it too much though, they might as well not call it "classic" mode.

A new adventure mode would be nice but again, go back to the arcade style of Melee but expand upon it. Give us more stages that are based around levels from other game series. Just as long as it isn't like Subspace Emissary which I guarantee no one would have cared about if it wasn't Smash related.

Mechanics wise, make it more combo oriented. A nice mix of 64 and Melee. Longer hitstun and less floaty knockback. Air dodging needs to be fixed and I wouldn't even mind if it's gone all together (unless wavedashing ever returns). Also nerf the shield rolls and counter attacks, to prevent people from spamming them.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
A good Single Player is a big one. In fact if Smash 4 didn't have online, I would hardly ever play it. Have classic mode closer to how it was in Melee but also include "Board the Platforms" and perhaps 1 or 2 new bonus stages. If they change it too much though, they might as well not call it "classic" mode.

A new adventure mode would be nice but again, go back to the arcade style of Melee but expand upon it. Give us more stages that are based around levels from other game series. Just as long as it isn't like Subspace Emissary which I guarantee no one would have cared about if it wasn't Smash related.

Mechanics wise, make it more combo oriented. A nice mix of 64 and Melee. Longer hitstun and less floaty knockback. Air dodging needs to be fixed and I wouldn't even mind if it's gone all together (unless wavedashing ever returns). Also nerf the shield rolls and counter attacks, to prevent people from spamming them.
7f5.gif

I approve all of this.

Other than that, I would love to see more custom moves. They change the characters a lot, and it would be nice to actually have new moves as custom for every character, not just Palutena and the Miis. For example, having the Fludd, Hammer and Ground Pound for the DownB of Mario. It would make a lot of changes for the characters, even more than simple changes like fast fireballs and other stuff.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Break the Targets should return, with each character having their own course.

I would like to see the ability to make your own trophies with Miis, you can finally have Reggie as a part of your trophy collection.

One last, have the ability to trade trophies online. Having trouble getting a trophy? Go online and see if anyone would be willing to trade, you wouldn't be able to trade trophies you only get from Classic, All-Star, or Challenges.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Melee's single player modes were really weak IMO. Adventure was worn out by the fourth time, All-star was too random, and the AI was just too horrible for any fun to come out of it. Giga Bowser usually died by SD, remember? SSB3D's Classic is probably the most fun and balanced one in there series.

Smash 4 here is basically perfect as far as gameplay and most of the extra modes go. Trophy Rush, Smash Run, 3DS Classic and 8-player Smash (having more then 4 players in specific) are all tons of fun. Equipment and custom moves give you collectables that mean something and give you a nice RPG-y sense of progression. Could of had more control over your rewards, but the system in general works well.

Some of the other modes are kinda disappointing though. Smash Tour is bleh, Target Blast and HRC are samey, Wii U classic is too chaotic, and All-star is too easy as long as you're not somebody hit too hard by the All-star projectile bug. Master and Crazy Orders exist just for grinding and aren't fun at all... But the unfun modes are easily avoided and don't really detract from the experience.

All it's lacking is an Adventure mode like SSE. Not necessarily with the cutscenes, but about 20 levels and separate progress for each character (and NOT requiring it to be beat with every character for a challenge would be nice) with unique equipment rewards for each character and stage combination would give you a reason to beat it as everybody without forcing you to and add a good amount of replay value.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Melee's single player modes were really weak IMO. Adventure was worn out by the fourth time, All-star was too random, and the AI was just too horrible for any fun to come out of it. Giga Bowser usually died by SD, remember? SSB3D's Classic is probably the most fun and balanced one in there series.

Smash 4 here is basically perfect as far as gameplay and most of the extra modes go. Trophy Rush, Smash Run, 3DS Classic and 8-player Smash (having more then 4 players in specific) are all tons of fun. Equipment and custom moves give you collectables that mean something and give you a nice RPG-y sense of progression. Could of had more control over your rewards, but the system in general works well.

Some of the other modes are kinda disappointing though. Smash Tour is bleh, Target Blast and HRC are samey, Wii U classic is too chaotic, and All-star is too easy as long as you're not somebody hit too hard by the All-star projectile bug. Master and Crazy Orders exist just for grinding and aren't fun at all... But the unfun modes are easily avoided and don't really detract from the experience.

All it's lacking is an Adventure mode like SSE. Not necessarily with the cutscenes, but about 20 levels and separate progress for each character (and NOT requiring it to be beat with every character for a challenge would be nice) with unique equipment rewards for each character and stage combination would give you a reason to beat it as everybody without forcing you to and add a good amount of replay value.
Given the rest of the challenges in the game, you know beating it with everyone would be a challenge. Probably on the highest difficulty, too.

But yeah, I agree with all that. Smash Run really would've been the ideal mode to put on the U instead of Smash Tour (or at least in addition to it). I do kinda miss the old Melee classic mode where everyone had their own target test, and I still miss Board the Platforms and Race To The Finish, too. But all in all, all Smash4 really lacks is Smash Super Star Subspace Emissary, which, while great fun, was still something I only bothered 100%ing once and played through once more on Insane.

Last edited:

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
-Give Ganondorf his own moveset.
I understand he's no longer a pure heavier/stronger Captain Falcon clone, but that's not the point. The point is his moveset should come from his own video game series. Can you imagine if they added Issac from Golden Sun and made him a heavier and taller Game & Watch clone but used Psynergy and weapons for his animations intead? That's about how non-sensical Ganondorf's moveset is.
"But what about Ganondorf mains?" Just add Blood Falcon, Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow to be the semi-heavy Falcon clone in place of Ganondorf.
-Give more creative and varied customs to characters, like Palutena.
I understand why some characters (like Captain Falcon) have specials that are just variations of their standard B moves. But there's no reason someone like Samus's B move is 3 variations of her Power Beam when she has several beam options to choose from. She could have had ice beam (moves slower but is larger and can freeze), wave beam (Does damage through any shield, even perfect shields, but is weaker), etc.
-Bring back old 1p modes like custom Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish.
-Take a fan vote for which classic stages to bring back.
Also ask what fans would like for an alternate costumes.
-Bring back Adventure mode but have different routes available to reach the finish. At least one level for each franchise.
-Bring back ability to use pre-created terrain of varying sizes (like blocks) instead of having to draw almost everything for stage builder.
-Get rid of the Kid Icarus difficulty system and go back to the old system.

Also, go back to being able to have up to 5 lives instead of 2 per stage for Classic Mode.
-Don't allow duplicates for whatever reward system gives you customs.
Also, separate Customs from equipment both reward-wise and when editing your character.
-If Smash run returns, don't have so many enemies that are either immune to flinching or so resistant to flinching.

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
This video talks about what should be in a fighting game.

I don't have my notes around so I will think about other stuff tomorrow.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I would want every character to be really unbalanced cause I think it can make the game balance itself out. Plus the unbalanced nature of the game can make the game quite spectator friendly.

The perfect e-sports game. :love:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I'd also like to be able to set Special modes to only specific players so I can have my own Metal fights without being Metal myself.

Could also make my own boss fights essentially with large/metal, etc.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
A Second Time.

I STILL want a better Stamina Mode for the next game. One that is accepted in Tournaments. That and a KOF-Style Tag Battle, similar to All-Star Versus!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Better representation of Nintendo history. Smash does an amazing job compiling all of the different references that it does, but I wish the character and stage choices in particular weren't so skewed toward either the super retro or the lucratively recent. Most possible content from the SNES, N64, GameCube, etc periods are pretty much doomed to never make an appearance in Smash once they've missed their chance because of the way Smash focuses on the polar extremes of Nintendo's timeline.

A new type of game mode (that doesn't suck like Coin). Something like All-Star Versus or stock-based Stamina.

Faster and more technical gameplay. Doesn't have to be crazy technical. I just want something with a philosophy closer to Melee, but not necessarily identical. I enjoy Smash 4, but not as much as I could if it had a gameplay style that matched my preferences more (obviously).

No more focus on adding bland new modes for the sake of having them every game. If they don't want to bring back the old type of Target Smash and can't think of a suitable replacement, then they just shouldn't even bother coming up with a mandatory replacement for each installment. Modes like Street Smash and Target Blast are pretty pointless and have more people indifferent to them than anything. Not saying you can't enjoy them, but personally, I would rather have less single-player content overall if that's the type of content we're going to get.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
--A more "balanced" stage selection. One of the greatest things in Melee was that: almost every series had the same amount of stages (for exception of Fire Emblem), and the representation was en vogue.
-- A deeper look at Nintendo's history. Who wouldn't like the Ultra Hand as an item?
-- Less powerful defensive options
-- A great Single Player mode (Smash Run is close, but not really the deal)
-- Break The Targets
-- A more complete Stage Builder.

Top Bottom