• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does “overall GSP” mean as opposed to character GSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I have no idea what the “overall” GSP stat means nor how it works or is calculated. I understand individual character GSP but the overall GSP doesn’t make sense to me

Has anybody been able to find out what this is and how it’s calculated?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I always believed Roster GSP was a number based on the GSP averages of characters you have played online, prorated so you're not starting at 1 GSP for any new character you pick up. Likely another way to close the skill gap, that way the brand new player just starting with everyone at their starting GSP won't get matched up with someone super experienced and just picking up a new character.

Now considering deranking your characters to 1 GSP is a popular thing to do now on Youtube, and also considering their roster GSP actually goes up when they do this, there may be some other funkiness going on with it raising based on games/hours/whatever played. Or maybe it bases it on the averages of the max GSP that any given character has had at some point, and doesn't take the GSP lowering into consideration. That I'm not sure of.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The thing I’m not sure about is that my roster GSP is a little bit higher than my highest character GSP. If it was an average it would be lower. Maybe it has something to do with your win rate, the skill of the players you’re beating, and how many characters you perform well with, idk

Maybe it also helps so that when you’re starting with a character you haven’t played yet you don’t get matched with players well below your skill level

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It's not an average. It's addition. If you have very few characters played, it will be very low. If you have a lot of characters played, it will be higher.

Based on this observation, we can conclude that it's summing the rating of all the characters you've played online, and stack ranking that. Taking a new character online will always raise your roster GSP, no matter what.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It's not an average. It's addition. If you have very few characters played, it will be very low. If you have a lot of characters played, it will be higher.

Based on this observation, we can conclude that it's summing the rating of all the characters you've played online, and stack ranking that. Taking a new character online will always raise your roster GSP, no matter what.
That’s kind of what I was thinking but it still doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Is it supposed to be a way to measure your overall skill level? Like what’s the point in having it there?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

For the entire month of December, I only had one character that I played online. Never touched any others. My roster GSP was maybe at most 300k below that character's GSP. I remember very well when I first got one character past 3 million, my roster GSP was around 2.7 million, and it kept rising the more my character's GSP rose. I was able to jump a few unplayed characters into Elite Smash within 3 to 4 wins with that base GSP boost. When I played some other new characters which I didn't do very well with, my roster GSP actually lowered.

Hence why I thought it was an average of some kind.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
For the entire month of December, I only had one character that I played online. Never touched any others. My roster GSP was maybe at most 300k below that character's GSP. I remember very well when I first got one character past 3 million, my roster GSP was around 2.7 million, and it kept rising the more my character's GSP rose. I was able to jump a few unplayed characters into Elite Smash within 3 to 4 wins with that base GSP boost. When I played some other new characters which I didn't do very well with, my roster GSP actually lowered.
See even going off that I still don’t know what it really means or what the point of it is

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
See even going off that I still don’t know what it really means or what the point of it is
Yup, this system is still an enigma to me. I’m still assuming it’s Nintendo’s way of closing skill gaps as much as possible, so brand new players don’t get destroyed by experienced players just trying a new character.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Might just be an arbitrary read out that doesnt actually do anything. Mine has always been higher than any single character, which supports the suggestion that its a stack of all of your GSPs and then players are ordered in rank by this stacked number.

Not sure on the new character thing though, since they are all technically ranked without any games played. Guess it would be easy to test by just losing a game with an unplayed character and seeing the effect.

EvilLost

Smash Rookie
Roster GSP works as follows:

Add up the RATING (hidden, you don't actually see it - this is NOT GSP) of each character you have played. Unplayed characters have 0 rating for Roster GSP purposes.
Compare your total RATING with all other players' RATING. The lowest rating is GSP 1 and the highest rating is the maximum GSP (ie rank).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom