• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does it take to be banned?

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Essentially, the majority of players wanted to ban MetaKnight because they blame his tools and attributes in the game. They do not understand the character as much as metaknight mains.
MK mains have some bias too for wanting to continue using a character they know to be clearly the best in the game ..but i agree with most you said.

So I think we should make a list of specific things that it should and should not take to get something banned, and I think this deserves its own thread..

EDIT: so i made a new one here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312372. Check it out

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
GameClucks Monthlies (the largest and more regular event in the WA, OR, ID area) will continue to allow MetaKnight in their events.

In the next 6-12 months, I plan to roll my TourneyPlay Monthly Series (now called the GC Monthly) into 50-100 venues across the US, using my GC/TP Rule Set.
You guys are the best.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Kal is impossible to argue with.

On a more related note; I don't really see melee banning any characters in it's current state. The community loves the game and praises it. Brawl on the other hand has a very negative stigma, and it seems like people need something to blame it on. A lot of brawl players claim that the game is bad and they dislike playing it, which I will never understand.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
that's cuz most of the counter MUs in this game ARE kind of boring. Most of high level play is either a chain grab to death (done the same way regardless of % and works on every stage) or projectile camping (exceptions are MK and Wario). I think more people should play MK and the timer should be increased (AT LEAST 2 minutes) and people would see it is fun

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Brawl needs... More MK dittos?

Interesting proposition.

On that note, I'll be playing a game that isn't bad.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm only impossible to argue with because my views are always right.

Seriously, though, why would anyone continue to play Brawl if they think it's bad or dislike it?

Strife

Banned via Warnings
AlphaZealot, I didn't quote anything, but instead of dodging questions, and nitpicking stuff, and then making fantastic points, only reply when you're going to make a fantastic point. You had some awesome stuff to say in this thread, but before you said anything awesome, you put your foot in your mouth like three times.

~~~~~~~~

Now I'll share my own opinions about this.

I honestly do not care if a tournament is hosting Unity or not, and I don't care if MK gets banned or not. BUT there is something that has been sitting rather uncomfortably with me, and I've remained silent, because I supported the Unity Ruleset and I supported AlphaZealot and JV, so I did not wish to share an opinion which might oppose them and their parties. With this much of a scar to the community though, and with how poorly things were handled, I feel like I should say a few words though. I'm not going to point any blame, make any accusations, or say that anyone is harming the community, because I honestly believe that the vast majority of the higher powers involved here DO INDEED have the community's best interest at heart, which is why I have not interfered. But listen to this:

-The idea for the Unity Ruleset was generated by AlphaZealot during MLG season. He pitched the idea to JV. At the time, it was under a different name, but I will continue to call it Unity Ruleset to avoid confusion

-JV, the Global Moderator and ultimate power of SWF at that time supported the idea, and said that Smashboards would only sticky Unity Tournaments. The idea behind this was to provide incentive for people to use the Ruleset. The purpose of this was to have a community standard, to end ruleset strife once and for all, and to add legitimacy to the Community.

-Several meetings were held between Senators and AiB leader Nealdt, and the Unity Ruleset Committee came to life.

-At the time of it's origin, the Unity Ruleset Committee was still under the cover of the Brawl Backroom. Despite this, Brawl Backroom members that were not part of the committee had absolutely no influence on the Ruleset.

-Brawl Backroom members were threatened to silence on any opposition they may have had in the public. Brawl Backroom members were told that their membership to the backroom would be revoked if they publicly spoke out against the ruleset.

-Afterwards, when the ruleset had already used the cover of the BBR (and many of the members had serious disagreement with this) to gain a foothold of favor, the Unity Ruleset Committee finally split from the BBR.

~In summary, the idea of the Unity Ruleset was founded and implemented by several of the higher ups in Smashboards, then used the BBR as a launching pad, before finally gaining enough sway and sitting on top of global Smashboards power to generate further influence.

Now, I'm all for doing things that are pro-community, but I greatly dislike that the higher ups have blatantly ignored the serious outcry from the community here.

-DEAR PEOPLE WHO RUN SMASHBOARDS

Take the sticky rule that says you must run Unity to get stickied out of your rules. While the initial intent behind it was good, it is very obviously causing a rift. It is not what the community wants, and the community has a right to decide for itself. Sure, it may be true that the community has a greater chance for superior longevity with a Unified Ruleset, but it is the choice of the community to decide for themselves. Stop trying to shove it down their throats.

By favoring this particular body, you are indeed trying to push the community in a specific direction. It would be one thing if that's the way Smashboards always was, but I forsaw these types of problems from the day MLG bought Smashboards. No longer is the head of our forum one of us. We are now control by a corporate entity. Now, a tool that was previously available to anyone for use to promote tournaments is being used to fulfill a greater agenda. The community is mad.

To me, I don't think that a sticky is such a big deal. But I want the URC to succeed. At this rate, their best way to succeed is to listen to the community on this issue.

As several members of the URC have already stated, most tournaments that would be stickied already run URC. So it would be excellent press coverage not to appear overbearing, by forcing it to be this way. Cooperating with the community in this compromise, will greatly increase the chances that the community cooperates with you.

Just my .02
Figured I'd post this here. It's kinda scarey to think this is where the smash community is going.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think its cuz the Brawl community is still a relatively young community. And by that I mean the age of the game not the players.

I mean if you look at Melee's past we had like 4 different rulesets/stage lists running around just the US.

I remember pre-pound 3 or 2 iirc, MW ran DK64 and RC as neutral stages in their stage list.

But eventually as we played more, the community decided on a much more standard ruleset (Which is in a sense good and bad).

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't even see the point of MLG having smashboards when they don't even run smash tournaments anymore, it's pretty pointless.
It's an investment, similar to how companies may invest in smaller companies. MLG supported Melee tournaments with cash prizes even after it was taken off the circuit, and similarly, owning SmashBoards gave it great access to the entire Smash fan base. Had Brawl been as good as Melee, I am confident that the insane following it would have had would easily have translated to great tournament turnouts. MLG tried to host Brawl anyway, but it didn't seem like it was working well, especially when two of the top players split prize money and got banned. Even with Smash 4 they stand to gain something if a healthy scene develops. I'm sure whatever it is costing MLG to keep up and running is simply spare change to them, so they are much better off expanding their base by "buying out" any competitive communities than running the risk of some competitor getting a niche tournament scene going.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Thier are more companies apart from MLG, VG bootcamp and DBR. You just gotta look for them.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, how many Melee players have actually been timed out twice in one set by a Meta Knight who actually knows how to plank well? I think it's understandable to view the ban as a whiny little ***** move, but I'd be interested in knowing how many of you have actually had to deal with the bull****.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In general planking is banned so i cant imagine people have had to deal with it. Also, playing a game you dont really know how to play isnt going to tell you much.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I'm certain anyone who's familiar with any installment of the series would realize how ridiculous it is.

Planking's been limited as of late, but it was just an example, anyway. Melee's best stalling characters pale in comparison to what Meta Knight can do, even with the LGL.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm certain anyone who's familiar with any installment of the series would realize how ridiculous it is.

Planking's been limited as of late, but it was just an example, anyway. Melee's best stalling characters pale in comparison to what Meta Knight can do, even with the LGL.
I disagree. I have been planked by many metaknights in tournament, and been able to beat the strategy with 3 out of 4 of my usual tournament characters. The only time i've lost to planking was actally against the best pikachu in the world. I think a couple of characters are actually practically better at planking than mk is.

:phone:

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
To compare it to melee, people would laugh at you if you made a committee to ban fox. I think its hilarious how poorly the "best character" does (at least at the highest level).

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone's saying MK and Melee-Fox have any similarities.

Kal

Smash Champion
ShroudedOne I think the committee would include only you. I don't think I would even join.

Let's just make one big committee to ban Falco?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
:( Oh...okay.

I'm not sure if I'm up for banning Falco, cause I know some cool Falco mains. But I'd have one less MU to worry about. As a Peach main Falco is problematic, sometimes. I'll think about it, Kal.

Kal

Smash Champion
If we can't ban the character, can we at least ban his laser?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
But.. his lasers aren't even THAT good.. There's ways around it.. Powershield, jump over, forward-B under, shield it (WD OOS into a move or do a move OOS with different timings) or take it like a man and punch that bird after. lol.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
No, he is very vulnerable while lasering, I know, and they aren't game breakers, but they are still VERY good tools. Plus, he can bait PS with fake lasers, SHL higher to cover a jump...

Taking the laser actually works really well, I've found out recently. 2-3 damage is a very small price to pay.

Kal

Smash Champion
I find that a Falco who knows what he's doing won't lose anything because you take a laser to the face.

But.. his lasers aren't even THAT good.. There's ways around it.. Powershield, jump over, forward-B under, shield it (WD OOS into a move or do a move OOS with different timings) or take it like a man and punch that bird after. lol.
No, his lasers really are that good. Easily the best approach in the game.

Top Bottom