• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Emblem Lord thinks of Marth vs. Mario

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Straight from the Marth match-up thread Emblem Lord made:

Mario - Mario is actually below average in pretty much all areas. He is subpar in pretty much every catagory except edgeguarding, where he can use FLUDD to really mess up your recovery. Other then that this is your fight. You are stronger, faster, more range, better moves, just plain better. You can go aggro or zone him. Nothing much to this fight really. stick to the usual gameplan of spacing control with fairs, f-tilts, and d-tilts. Punish him with Dancing Blade and go for tippers when you see them and when they can kill. His fireballs are no threat. Just jab them. Now when he is edgeguarding you it gets tricky. The water from FLUDD can push you away from the ledge while you up b. Try to come in low to avoid the water, but mix it up since a good Mario will pick up on this and start edgehugging. When this happens you need to start going low enough that you will auto grab the ledge, but still be high enough that you can land on the stage if he tries to hug you. Other then that though, this match goes to Marth.

My Mario rarely loses to Marths, but I think a good Marth would be quite a problem. Your thoughts?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't lose to marths either, but I don't think I've fought any good ones. I just ignore matchups against mario now, no one knows that much about him to really grasp how big of a threat he can be. I know that the strategy suggested wouldnt work against MY mario. especially the edgeguarding bit, that made me laugh. Cape ledge stall ftw.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Mario Mains are like Snowflakes, they are all different in style non two are alike. unless you have a great knowledge of all the different styles and their subtle variations a match against a mario is always a toss up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
marth is gay and sucks.....GTFO
Indeed. He definitely had the advantage in melee, not sure about this one tho. His recovery is amongst the easiest to gimp, his grab range is much smaller, his sword is much easier to get around, and you can kill him easier than most of the cast (Easier to kill than Mario).

???????

Smash Journeyman
Emblem Lord is an intelligent player but he's also a bit bias at times; listen to what he has to say, but you don’t have to always take what he says completely literal.

*To Emblem Lord: I respect you as an intelligent, dignified player; I do not mean for anything that I have said to be of any insult to you, I apologize in advance if anything that I have said is seen as offensive*

*I apologize if anything that I have said is seen as offensive*

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Emblem Lord thinks every match is in Marth's favor, regardless. Play him over Wifi to see who wins.
That's not true. He believes Marth loses to R.O.B and Snake and goes even with Olimar, Metaknight, and Marth (obviously). Other than that, all in Marth's advantage. And besides, fighting him on Wi-Fi doesn't mean I'm exactly better than him due to input lag. Some of the things that happen to me on Wi-Fi wouldn't happen to me fighting offline. That goes for everyone. You can't measure exact skill level on Wi-Fi due to the way online's set up.

Subpar? I think someone needs to get their *** kicked.
This made me LOL (though Emblem Lord is intelligent). Mario's better than people think he is. He's an underrated character so people haven't really figured him out like they have with Ike yet.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
And besides, fighting him on Wi-Fi doesn't mean I'm exactly better than him due to input lag. Some of the things that happen to me on Wi-Fi wouldn't happen to me fighting offline. That goes for everyone. You can't measure exact skill level on Wi-Fi due to the way online's set up.

This is just my 2 cents on the whole matter so dont take it personal Tak.Even tho lag input is a factor in Wifi,it still takes skill to determind to input things faster than you normally would,which in fact takes time to figure out just like the ATs,combos,ect.Iam sorry but if the devs felt like the online didnt reflect the players skill 100%,then I think they wouldnt of added it.I just dont like it when people do this (Offline>Online) when I feel it should be (Offline=Online).They are different yes,but they both have there flaws.

Cuz you also gotta remember,the majority of the smash players cannot make it to places like EVO,or Nats.Then downgrading a different aspect thats only avaliable to most makes them feel rather down sometimes causing them not to play.I mean damm,we already have things going against our favorite characters in tournments offline(infinites legal anyone?) now that makes us not wanna attend tourneys as is.I hope you understand man.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I don't have to deal with stupid input lag during my fights that limit to what I can do offline. Everyone does better offline than online because they don't have to worry about their attack coming out .5-1.5 seconds after they just did it. It's a fact. Characters that require precision in their playstyle do worse online because of input lag. Offline>>>Online. Now, let's continue discussing the match-up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
This is just my 2 cents on the whole matter so dont take it personal Tak.Even tho lag input is a factor in Wifi,it still takes skill to determind to input things faster than you normally would,which in fact takes time to figure out just like the ATs,combos,ect.Iam sorry but if the devs felt like the online didnt reflect the players skill 100%,then I think they wouldnt of added it.I just dont like it when people do this (Offline>Online) when I feel it should be (Offline=Online).They are different yes,but they both have there flaws.

Cuz you also gotta remember,the majority of the smash players cannot make it to places like EVO,or Nats.Then downgrading a different aspect thats only avaliable to most makes them feel rather down sometimes causing them not to play.I mean damm,we already have things going against our favorite characters in tournments offline(infinites legal anyone?) now that makes us not wanna attend tourneys as is.I hope you understand man.
I agree that you can tell skill level to an extent online. If the skill levels are remotely close, then no. I honestly don't know who's better between me and BOX7, or between me and Big.B. But I can tell you that I pretty much pwn in with anyone, and Mario, theoretically, isn't supposed to be good in free for alls. That's a little extreme, but you can almost predict a post count by playing someone online.

@ Takeshi: I honestly believe the fight is even, but I don't think I've played any really good marths, and I've got a heavy bias. I'm going to a tourney tomorrow, hopefully I can find few good ones there and gather some data.

Top Bottom