• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Females Do You Want For Brawl

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Sorry to burst yalls bubble, but Birdo is a transgendered male.

Although Nintendo of America classifies Birdo as female and some classify it as transgendered, the first edition game manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 describes Birdo as follows: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'Birdetta.'" Based on this description, it is arguable that Birdo is the first transgendered video game character. Subsequent printings of the game manual delete the Birdetta sentence but retains the first description.
In Japan, Birdo is known as "Catherine" and purportedly enjoys being called "Cathy". However, the Birdo character has always been male in the original Japanese versions. Presumably to avoid controversy, Nintendo of America has localized Birdo as female in future appearances of the character. It was speculated that Birdo was possibly transgendered, and Nintendo of America would eventually retcon this tidbit to avoid raising any concerns about the character's transsexuality. Confusion has also arisen over Birdo because the names for Birdo and Ostro, an ostrich that playable characters can ride, were erroneously switched in the Super Mario Bros. 2 end credits [1] as well as in the game manual. Since then, many have confused the two to the point of calling the actual species "Ostro," and believing that the 'main pink one' was individually named "Birdo." Super Mario Advance, a game which contains a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2, does not repeat this mistake.

Recently, Birdo has been noted as a male on the official European Mario Strikers Charged Football website and in the game manual.

Zack Masters

Smash Rookie
I say Krystal.
The staff allows for a unique moveset.
Star Fox also needs more representation.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
I would say if any female should get a space in Brawl's roster it should be The Boss from MGS3. She is a female character that actually has substance and she invented CQC. A better pick than any character ive seen so far for Brawl besides the legendary Solid Snake, of course.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Well since Midna is the one charatcer I wanna see the most, I'll pick her.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Krystal...Peach... uh... can't think of a lot. Come to think of it, Nintendo doesn't have enough female characters.

~Birdetta snip~
...oh dear.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
To be perpetually pre-op, from what I read from your sources. :laugh:

EDIT: Now I'm worried, because people have always juxtaposed Yoshi and Birdo as love interests. :urg:

What makes this even more disturbing is when you consider that Yoshi is technically asexual. :dizzy:

DOUBLE EDIT: Apparently, "Birdo" can refer to the species as a whole, or a specific Birdo, sorta like Yoshi. Now I'm REALLY confused! :veryconfu

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Misty.

No, seriously.

How much dope have you been taking? Anyway,I like Zelda,Peach is one of my mains(Yeah,I said it! Right there with Roy,Jigglypuff,Mr.Game and Watch,Mario,and Kirby!) so I want her back Krystal(with Fox,and with Falco/Wolf or both of them) and Nana with Popo for the Ice climbers(they'll probably be Ats along Mr.G and W and Dr.Mario)

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Believe what you want to believe about Birdo, but I believe the Birdo that we see reappearing in games is female. There are many species of Yoshi's and Birdo's, and I happen to believe this one is female. The bow, the ring on HER finger, the long eyelashes, the purple eye make-up... sorry, you can't convince me (and to mention HER voice in Mario Tennis on the N64, VERY feminine.)

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd like Jenna, Sheba, or Mia from Golden Sun. I think they would make great additions to the roster.

Jenna (localized name):

Sheba:

Mia (localized name):

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I dont consider Sheik a girl but hey that's just me. I consider Birdo a female. why are people even trying to make sense out of it i dunno.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
sorry, you can't convince me (and to mention HER voice in Mario Tennis on the N64, VERY feminine.)
I guess even though the wiki said that he has always been a guy in the Japanese version doesn't seem to sway people from the opinion that he is transgendered. It makes sense seeing as Japan's culture is a lot more tolerant when it comes to homosexuality and transgendered males. I would say that the American version they tailor Birdo to be female, but in the Japanese version he is a dude.

When it all is said and done, Birdo is more suited to be an assist trophy than anything else. Extremely extremely minor character with a decent fanbase < main character with large fanbase.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
I would say if any female should get a space in Brawl's roster it should be The Boss from MGS3. She is a female character that actually has substance and she invented CQC. A better pick than any character ive seen so far for Brawl besides the legendary Solid Snake, of course.
Exactly. Unlike most other female characters, she isen't portrayed as some super model that can destroy anything. Most of those types of characters have people saying "lol shes awesome look how hot she is" (-see krystal thread). I cannot stand that crap. This character truly has substance. Take a look at her bio from the MGS3 Guide:
---
The Boss is a living legend. She formed the Cobras special unit, who fought in the Second World War and made a critical contribution to the success of the Allied Forces. Later, this war hero undertook operations for several different secret service and special forces outfits in the western hemisphere. During her time at the SAS, The Boss founded the 22nd regiment with Major Zero. She later supported the initiative to establish FOX, with her support ultimately leading to provisional CIA approval and funding.

During the 1950s, The Boss spent many years as Snake's mentor and instructor. With his help she developed the fighting technique known as CQC (Close Quarters Combat). During the Virtuous Mission she acts as his mission consultant, sharing her inestimable knowledge of weapons and combat techniques via radio. Snake couldn't hope for a better advisor: universally revered, The Boss is regarded as the mother of the modern special forces. Her abilities are honed to virtually superhuman levels of perfection; she is a warrior who has succeeded in each and every one of her countless missions.
---

This is a character I would want in the game regardless of gender, and that is how all characters should be selected.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Well, while this female Boss lady sounds quite cool (i've not played any MG games), I for one would rather they keep each third party PC to one per franchise. I would love to see her as an assist trophy, though. That would seem quite appropriate to me, seeing as how snake should have at least a little representation with items and such. Same if sonic is in it- they should put tales or Dr. Robotnik in as ATs!

Anyways, back on subject. Birdo would be way better as an AT than a PC, for reasons stated by MookieRah. the more i think about it, the more i think using a girl from FE is a great way to get some more females in the fray as playable

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Unlike most other female characters, she isen't portrayed as some super model that can destroy anything. Most of those types of characters have people saying "lol shes awesome look how hot she is" (-see krystal thread). I cannot stand that crap. This character truly has substance. Take a look at her bio from the MGS3 Guide:
---
The Boss is a living legend. She formed the Cobras special unit, who fought in the Second World War and made a critical contribution to the success of the Allied Forces. Later, this war hero undertook operations for several different secret service and special forces outfits in the western hemisphere. During her time at the SAS, The Boss founded the 22nd regiment with Major Zero. She later supported the initiative to establish FOX, with her support ultimately leading to provisional CIA approval and funding.

During the 1950s, The Boss spent many years as Snake's mentor and instructor. With his help she developed the fighting technique known as CQC (Close Quarters Combat). During the Virtuous Mission she acts as his mission consultant, sharing her inestimable knowledge of weapons and combat techniques via radio. Snake couldn't hope for a better advisor: universally revered, The Boss is regarded as the mother of the modern special forces. Her abilities are honed to virtually superhuman levels of perfection; she is a warrior who has succeeded in each and every one of her countless missions.
---

This is a character I would want in the game regardless of gender, and that is how all characters should be selected.
I totally agree with you on the point that a character isn't suited for Brawl because she's hot.
But this boss character is a 3rd-party character with representation in Brawl already, leaving her with pretty much zero-chance at appearing.

Take a look at Midna instead. She's got more personality than pretty much any other Nintendo character, she's female but definitely not "model-type" (:laugh:), plus she's 1st-party. Further more she's very popular. All in all, I think she's very deserving, and I really hope she's getting in. :)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ironically enough, I once searched for pictures of Midna in Google and immediately found a thread in some forum asking "Who else thinks Midna is hot?"

...but yeah, Midna is deserving for personality and significance. I'm sure I could even find a bunch of people who have wet dreams about The Boss.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
I could understand the real Midna but no to Imp Midna
Why not Imp Midna?
The imp-version is original, plus it's the most recognized. If they implemented real Midna she would be more or less another female sex-object with no originality.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Spjd's right. If they had more hot female characters like Zamus idiot freaks would just gawk aand not actually play the game, Midna's a character with power and spunk, making her a cool fighter, made for Brawl, not some creepy object of desire.

But, on another note, I thik if they have Midna at all then they should have her on Wolf Link, leading up to hundreds of cool moves and strategies.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Spjd's right. If they had more hot female characters like Zamus idiot freaks would just gawk aand not actually play the game, Midna's a character with power and spunk, making her a cool fighter, made for Brawl, not some creepy object of desire.

But, on another note, I thik if they have Midna at all then they should have her on Wolf Link, leading up to hundreds of cool moves and strategies.
Yeah, a duo with Wolf Link is indeed a possibilty. ;)
But as I see it, she's got quite a few very interesting moves herself. I'm not trying convince anyone she should be alone, I'm just saying that it is possible without much trouble.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Aha! Upon further research, I have found a Tomb Raider Game on the Game Boy Color called Tomb Raider: Starring Lara Croft, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Legend for the GCN, GBA, and the DS, Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword, Tomb Raider: The Prophecy was licenced by Nintendo and was for the GBA, and Tomb Raider: Anniversary is coming out on the Wii.

I love reasearch.:laugh:

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought too.. I don't she'll fit really. They did it with Snake as you said, but somehow they made him fit. Don't know how really..

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Well, you know, it all boils down to wether they will put her in and less weather they should I mean, if they can put in Snake, why not Lara? I'm sure they can come up with an interesting moveset. The only downside I can see is if she's a 'Brawler', cause I can seee her fighting in Brawl, but I can see other third party characters getting in first (SONIC!!! *ahem*) But, I think that when Super Smash Bros 4 comes around, they'll have an open spot for Lara.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Krystal...Peach... uh... can't think of a lot. Come to think of it, Nintendo doesn't have enough female characters.
Midna? Krystal? stop for a second and look at these characters...Pathetic. Maybe Nintendo needs to get some good female characters before a thread like this opens.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
Midna? Krystal? stop for a second and look at these characters...Pathetic. Maybe Nintendo needs to get some good female characters before a thread like this opens.

those are really good potential characters for Brawl actually...

why don't you define "good." "Good" characters, IMO, have the potential for unique/original movesets, and gameplay styles. Something innovative, something that makes the game FUN. by that definition, I'd say Nintendo's small handful of female characters would make for a pretty "good" characters for this game.

unless "good" to you means just being a hottie with a nice rack like Zero Suit Samus, and you want every female in the game to look like her...

remember that Smash Bros Brawl is not DOA.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Maybe Nintendo needs to get some good female characters before a thread like this opens.
They have, just many of these characters aren't in popular games, or aren't popular characters within those games. The Fire Emblem series is chock-full of positive female characters, many of whom are capable combatants and could fit in fine in Smash.

Sadly, most of them have little/no chance of showing up due to relative obscurity.

Top Bottom