• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What gamestop rules did you have?

Demised

Smash Ace
So its obvious each gamestop has been going by different rules. Opening night i went to had to use the nunchuk and all items and such. Went and met friends at another one and they had no items, FD only, 3 stock, and "bring your own controller". I dont get it. What rules did you guys have to play?

Also who was lucky enough to make it to round 3?

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
1st Round

Random Stage
1 Minute
Choose your Character
All items on medium
starting characters
Wii Remote + Nunchuck

2nd Round

Battlefield
3 Minutes
Choose your character
All items on medium
any characters that the brawl demo unlocked (since i faced a marth first round)
Wii Remote + Nunchuck

3 Round

The only thing I know about this so far is i think it is 1 5 minute match, but the top 8 people in round 3 (in all stores doing round 3) that have the highest "points" move on to the final round. I made it to the 3rd round and hope I don't come up against any Ikes.

Demised

Smash Ace
Hah, i hear that about Ike. I dont think hes to bad its just the thought of, oh he could kill me at 30% no problem. I wonder how many people are gonna be at round 4.

ps. What store you have to go to for round 3?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Lol, my gamestop didn't care for the rules. They had no items, played at Final Destination, and used gamecube controllers. I still lost my 3rd match though cuz I didn't realize that lucas had a different grab from ness, which made things tough on me. 1 minute matches though :(

Nintendude

Smash Hero
1v1, 3-stock, random stages, all items on medium, using the game's tournament mode.

It was still a pretty bad tournament but at least it wasn't timed FFAs. Also the prize was a copy of Brawl, not one of those lame trophy things.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
My gamestop didnt' really care about the rules. Bring your own controllers, players had to agree on a stage.
We had 8 minute matches. I didn't make the third round though, there are some seriously skilled players in my area.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
WOW!!! you guys had it good! my local GAYSTOP had the following rules:
1 minute time battle
all items on high
all stages on random
MUST use wii mote + nunchuck
AND WE COULDNT PICK OUR OWN CHARACTER!?!?!?!?!?!

i got peach randomly...
ive been to better run tournaments in peoples basements. bunch of horse****.

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
All gamestops should use the same rules. The only thing I could think of that would be wrong is random characters. Everyone should have a choice, but then again I wouldn't care I play with every character instead of concentrating on just a few. At least my tournament wasn't dull like GoForkUrself's tournament. There are 26 stores doing round 3, but from what I heard or what I thought I heard the best 8 scores will go on to round 4. Even if you go undefeated you still have a chance to not go into the top 8. And I think scores basically means KOs and then again if one store doesn't have many people then chances are they'll just go home while places with large amounts of people will pretty much have a guaranteed top 8 spot. Right now I think half of the people in round 4 will be from California.

Demised

Smash Ace
Im in round 3, and if i won and still didnt get the trip to cali, i will be furious.

Like if some crappy gamestop has one good person and the rest suck, that one guy is gonna have massive KO's. Where as if theres a gamestop with a couple of good people, there KO count will most likely be lower since the matchs in terms would be more intense and drawn out from knowing what to do. Instead of scrubs just dying non stop or falling into stuff making them get hit more. A huge thing with brawl is how it focuses on dodging more than melee. Nubs are gonna make it, i see it.

atleast Round 2 on is 1v1's

pockyD

Smash Legend
no pocky D i didnt pay an entry fee but at least a huge professional organization should have consistent rules.
they DID have official published rules - if you had an issue with your store's rules, you could have just printed them up and showed it to them

of course the official rules were close to the worst rules possible, so i don't know why you would

Son1x

Smash Apprentice
R1

1 min
Battlefield
Any starters
All Items medium

R2
3 min
Battlefield
Any Starters
Smashballs and ATs on low

Unfotunatly, my victory was robbed when my char wouldn't DJ over that FS.

Good news is, I was the only one to go into Sudden Death with the winner. All the others just sucked, lol.

pockyD

Smash Legend
random character not only saves time but encourages variety

the purpose of the gamestop tournaments was (obviously) not to determine who's the best (at a game they released the night of the tournament) but just an exhibition of the game, and it's pretty clear their ruleset was geared towards that

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
they DID have official published rules - if you had an issue with your store's rules, you could have just printed them up and showed it to them

of course the official rules were close to the worst rules possible, so i don't know why you would
what were the official rules?

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
those are bad rules? I don't get it. Everything was moving fine and no one had any problems. I don't see anything about what stages should be used, random characters, or if people should be playing using a WiiMote and Nunchuck or a Gamecube Controller. I think its more of a challenge to use the WiiMote and Nunchuck than using the gamecube controller, but thats me. For a tournament that no one had to pay a fee no one should be complaining, except for those people who have gamestops where the employees just can not do anything right.

pockyD

Smash Legend
because anyone who's posting it here obviously considered it a serious tournament for some reason and feel like their manhood was taken down a few notches because they weren't local legends of wreckage

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
yeah I understand that some people may think high of them selves and then crying after a tournament because they didn't win it. Some people just take the game too seriously and need anger management over something stupid as losing. At least this gamestop tournament is still somewhat better than some of those tournaments where its like 4 stock, no items, final destination all the time, and only using the gamecube controller.

Sanity's Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Round 1:
Battle Field
Pick your character (Starting Roster)
Items on Medium
1 minute matches

Round 2:
Random Stages
Random Characters
2 minute matches
Items on medium

Not sure what the rules for round 3 are going to be yet. It'll be fun regardless.

pockyD

Smash Legend
At least this gamestop tournament is still somewhat better than some of those tournaments where its like 4 stock, no items, final destination all the time, and only using the gamecube controller.

no it's not

and you're not a very good troll, it took you like 5 posts to coax that out

D20

Smash Lord
yeah I understand that some people may think high of them selves and then crying after a tournament because they didn't win it. Some people just take the game too seriously and need anger management over something stupid as losing. At least this gamestop tournament is still somewhat better than some of those tournaments where its like 4 stock, no items, final destination all the time, and only using the gamecube controller.
Translation: "I have no skill."

Demised

Smash Ace
If i lose and get knocked out, thats fine i'd have no problem with that. But if i won and still didnt get anything. i would be puzzled. lol. GL on round 3 guys. Hopefully make it myself and see you at round 4

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
D20 - geez, just because someone wants a little change in a while doesn't make them have no skill. In melee i am an awesome player. I can't say the same for brawl yet because I haven't found my "mains" yet. I could whip you melee barring 1 certain character, but since playing melee after so many years I like a little change once and a while. Sometimes I'll play 4 stock, final destination, and etc or sometimes it will be with items and different stages. Its like it eating the same food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, eventually you're gonna get bored of it and try something else. I mean if there is a tournament coming up that i'll go to then I'll play like im in that tournament using their rules, but your comment basically tells anyone who uses items they suck at the game and shouldn't have bought it and will never be tournament worthy. Do us a favor and don't judge someone until you've actually played them using your own rules.

pocky - all tournaments should not all be the same. The only little difference between the no item final destination matches are the choice of characters and possibly some strategies. Things would be more fun if it wasn't always the same.

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
yeah...

D20 - geez, just because someone wants a little change in a while doesn't make them have no skill. In melee i am an awesome player. I can't say the same for brawl yet because I haven't found my "mains" yet. I could whip you melee barring 1 certain character, but since playing melee after so many years I like a little change once and a while. Sometimes I'll play 4 stock, final destination, and etc or sometimes it will be with items and different stages. Its like it eating the same food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, eventually you're gonna get bored of it and try something else. I mean if there is a tournament coming up that i'll go to then I'll play like im in that tournament using their rules, but your comment basically tells anyone who uses items they suck at the game and shouldn't have bought it and will never be tournament worthy. Do us a favor and don't judge someone until you've actually played them using your own rules.

pocky - all tournaments should not all be the same. The only little difference between the no item final destination matches are the choice of characters and possibly some strategies. Things would be more fun if it wasn't always the same.
IDK, I do agree with the same **** getting old, but I do agree that this Gamestop tournament is a little iffy...I mean, some really good players are losing to n00bs because of items and bob-ombs and such. But I think if you even compete at ALL in ANY tournament, join the tourney with NO JONS. DOnt complain about losing to n00bs, or items, or stage advantage or whatever. A-D-A-P-T to your surroundings. That SHOULD be what part of being good is anyway. But yeah, this Gamestop tourney has been poorly run, and I just hope it ends soon so I can stop playing with the god**** wii mote and nun chuk LOL.

Anyone from SoCal going to Round 3 at the Universal City Walk? Let me know, maybe we can meet up before hand. Also, does anyone have ANY additional information on Round 3? Im hella confused...

Top Bottom