• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to the tournaments?

Linguini

Smash Master
Since I moved from SFL to Gainesville for college ive seen a ridiculous decline in the amount of melee tournaments happening in FL as a whole. I don't like what i'm seeing.

I am currently trying to find a venue in gainesville but this city is pretty fail so the search is rough. I encourage TO's in all regions of FL to step it up and start hosting melee tournaments. The last melee tournament I went to in FL was mostly brawl and had 20 melee people in a small sweaty room, that was pretty discouraging.

More specifically, Hbox I know you host your WATO tournaments semi consistently but I always see that they're brawl/melee, and your venue isn't big. You should try to hype your events as solely melee tournaments; just an opinion.

As for SFL, nicaboy and jason, don't let the tourneys die out and always encourage new players to come out in the area. Try to attract interest from SFL and beyond, even if it means a venue that isn't ZP.

The melee community as a whole needs to work together to revive the scene, because Florida's couldn't be more hype-less and fractured.

Let's try to change this guys.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I support this. I was a bit saddened that Melee pretty much faded away when brawl stepped in. I was looking through the FL thread and even the PR was pretty much abandoned years ago. This state really had something going back then. I would love to see Melee revived and I hope to TO and give it it's own events down here along with Brawl in the future. Until then I hope the others down here can drum up some regularly occurring events. I'd be happy to publicize them.

:rosalina:

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
I managed to host a couple of tournaments at the beginning of the year but to be honest, its nearly impossible to find an actual venue here in Gville :c

I used my apt as a "venue" since gainesville sucks for this kinda thing.

Plus, I had a melee/brawl tourney weekend and about 50 ppl showed up for brawl and only 8 showed for melee :(

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
It's true. Venues are really difficult to come by. But don't think you live in the only city where venues are a ***** to find. The trick is to just make it happen.

My approach has been focused on my city, smashfests are extremely important for that.

But tournaments are definitely an important part too. Sometimes having the best venue isn't as important as just having a tournament.

IMO having dual brawl/melee tourneys is a good thing sometimes because that's where the largest potential for growth in the melee community is. Brawl converts. Lol.

Linguini

Smash Master
boo hoo hooo move to WC.
who said canads were allowed in my thread?
It's true. Venues are really difficult to come by. But don't think you live in the only city where venues are a ***** to find. The trick is to just make it happen.

My approach has been focused on my city, smashfests are extremely important for that.

But tournaments are definitely an important part too. Sometimes having the best venue isn't as important as just having a tournament.

IMO having dual brawl/melee tourneys is a good thing sometimes because that's where the largest potential for growth in the melee community is. Brawl converts. Lol.
I'm looking into a gaming venue in the gainesville area. How'd you manage to secure the church used for LTEC2?

sorry man i gotta do fusion (read exarch's post)

I'll separate sides next time, though

I understand why your'e doing it, just trying to please as many people as possible; but in the process your detracting from the community(melee) that you play with the most. And in the past, I haven't seen your tournament attendance increase significantly because of brawl converts so I don't see where your point is.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
CFL melee has been weak ever since Gigs closed last year. And a lot of smashers are getting older/moving away.

Me, Skrach, and Colbol are really the only people in our crew that play anymore. OTRU plays once in a blue moon. Aasem moved away, Diego is engaged and has a kid, Bo is getting married and having a kid, TBP has a kid, and xYz doesn't play much and if he does its brawl.

All the cake eaters are gone or dont play anymore. Exarch, Fenrir, DF, Law, Hozart, Derf...

Ted Boosley and his crew are gone. Dguy and his crew are gone. Haven't seen Angry Lobster or his brother in forever.

And that's just CFL. Life goes on I guess.

=[

exarch

doot doot doot
I went to the church that we used for LTEC2, but generally rooms are available from churches, but cost a good amount for rent. I got a discount because I went there, also made the pitch probably easier to get accepted.

Brawl converts will be few, but I think it's where the most opportunity for growth is. The face of smash right now is brawl. Sure there may be those few individuals who still play melee with their friends, but most of them will be playing brawl because all their friends play brawl. Also having Wifi available means more brawl players too. IMO there's a natural progression for some brawl players of getting good at brawl, becoming frustrated with certain parts of the game (maybe,) seeing melee videos and being amazed at how flashy they are, wanting to learn how to do that, starting to learn melee. So they need to be exposed to melee, and they aren't all going to come running immediately.

Yes sometimes melee needs to have its own events, but fusion events do help too.

Gigs closing really hurt the scene, but I am curious why the NLL tournaments haven't replaced them as far as function? From what I can tell, it's pretty close to where Gigs used to be, though I understand the history at Gigabits was something that cannot be replaced for us.

You listed a bunch of older smashers who are gone from the scene (which it actually hurts a little to see all those names of people I was so close to on one list,) but there's always going to be smashers who disappear. We've added at least some new smashers, Plup and Toobz to name a couple. CE Gen2 are still playing. WATO still play (although which members are still around I'm not sure.)

And while tournaments have decreased, smashfests seem to have increased. There's been weekly fests in Gainesville for several years now, the "UCF Melee in Orlando" thread constantly has new posts and activity. Tampa even has some activity, although I guess it's mostly brawl. Kissimmee still has a heartbeat.

Melbourne, yes, seems to be dead (still clinging to a bit of hope for them.) Titusville hasn't been alive since HaloGod and Motar.

I'm certainly not quitting. The small amount of work I've done in my new location has led to the first WI tournament in years. But certainly a state as isolated as ours (FL) needs to have tournaments, because you can't just go OOS like in WI.

I have plenty of hope left for melee and smash in general. My plans are eventually to move back to FL. Also I swear you could get Hozart to play again if he could just be convinced he has time for it. Rohins is also in FL again now, and should get his butt off the couch and start finding fests to attend.

Rambling post that doesn't have much point outside of the first couple paragraphs.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
orlando has a ton of underground melee players

but the game is dying out :(:(:(

i still play almost every day, and i'm trying to get newer people better

but no one wants to play this decade old game anymore :(

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I was thinking of doing a reconstructing of the Melee player locator section in the FL thread and making another thread to help new/current people with connecting more by registering in. As well as creating a new section dedicated to listing potential venues and maybe even drivers for people to use and discuss in different regions in the state. I know a really tough obstacle is locating a good venue so if people can share potential ones for others to take a look into I know that'd help a lot. That thread was built on Melee foundations and I want to help you guys out.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
orlando has a ton of underground melee players
It's true, UCF does still have a good amount of melee players.

The problem is most of them don't enter tourneys.

The competitive spirit just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

EDIT: To prove my point I can list like 20 active melee players within a mile or 2 of UCF yet only a couple of them ever show up to tourneys.

skrach8

Smash Lord
@Linguini thanks for posting this thread.

@Exarch is a genius for mentioning the PR thread. I believe this will create a much needed spark.

@Hungrybox - Your tournaments are consistent..... but since you have been dubbed the best in FL, you yourself could generate the most hype.... but the venue is lacking. You easily bank the most. You should be looking into investing long term. You can easily throw a tournament, make a profit, and recycle that for another tournament.

@Everyone who loves melee.... Skrach is hosting a tournament on Jan. 15, 2011. Visit the thread..... Thomas can i get a sticky.

I'm willing to host bi weeklies/DANK SMASHFESTS if people come out. Though the community as a whole must participate and be consistent...... EXTREMELY consistent.

Pound 5 is coming up and people want to train. No matter how hard i try to drop this game.... it never happens, so i consider myself one of those people.

What do you guys think..... I would love some input from the vets, rooks, and everyone in between.

List of people that need to respond to this directly:
Linguini
HBox
Exarch
RockCrock
Colbol
Plup
Shiz
SmashMac
Seibrik
Nicaboy
Darksonic
Kniht
Harriet
Apollo
Pengie
Kuya
Sheer
RX
and the list goes on... and on... and on.... CFL IS TOO BIG AKA TOO GOOD> YA DIGG?

BUMP THAT FL IS TOO BIG AKA **** GOOD> BEST BALIEVE DAT!!!

Pengie

Smash Lord
I think that Florida definitely needs to have active power rankings; there are a lot of people here that are insanely close in skill level, so power ranking would definitely help light a fire under people ***** to clearly above someone else. Something else that needs to be done is that we can't just let tournaments go unnoticed and hope that people show up; we need to be more proactive with bringing tournaments to peoples attention; I know that Fl is kinda out of the way for most people, but we're a large enough state that we could have some large tournaments with only instate attendants. Hell, NOOB1 was an all Fl tournament and that had over 40 entrants! To be honest I think that Fl has the potential to be the strongest region in the US if not the world, but we have to get involved and active to make that happen.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Lol It would be a cool idea for you guys to reinstate the PR. I have archived a link to the one that was used when Melee was still active here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=100085

Ofc you guys will want to start a new thread. Once you guys do I'll be happy to accomodate for it here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1357188&postcount=4

with it's own section and such inside the post. First though the topic of getting an idea of exactly how many active players there are should be looked at. If you guys support my idea then we can go along with it and learn how much of a foundation there is to be worked with in setting up good tournaments in this state as which places have the most potention for growth.(which can also help when trying to expand in places that don't have as much). A PR will have more support and attention at that point. You guys can then vote/decide/discuss on setting up a Panel and Ranking System. Move along from there. SoCal does this so well I agree with ya Pengie in that FL is just as much capable if Melee get more attention and is organized.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Power Rankings sounds good.

Or maybe a player tier list instead of power rankings?

example:

S Tier

Hbox, Shiz, Colbol

A Tier

Linguini
Skrach
Dark Sonic
Plup

etc etc

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Skrach, you're right man. I'd be interested in some bi-weeklies. I would try to make some everyone once in a while because now with work getting a Saturday off will be hard. I'm always down to smash though.

Honestly, it's kinda sad. I'm out of practice because my 2 brothers pretty much stopped Smash for now. Shiz is doing other things (woman) and KSN is into other things (rapping). Kinda hard to beat that, not to mention I hardly see Shiz or KSN since when I'm home Shiz is out and when I'm at work or doing something else he's at home. KSN lives an hour away south at our Mother's house.

In all honesty, the only practice I have gotten is as of recently with Pr0ject, who is the best Captain Falcon player in FL. hands-down, and is a professional RockCrock impersonator. I'd like to get back into the tournament scene.

Linguini

Smash Master
CFL melee has been weak ever since Gigs closed last year. And a lot of smashers are getting older/moving away.

Me, Skrach, and Colbol are really the only people in our crew that play anymore. OTRU plays once in a blue moon. Aasem moved away, Diego is engaged and has a kid, Bo is getting married and having a kid, TBP has a kid, and xYz doesn't play much and if he does its brawl.

All the cake eaters are gone or dont play anymore. Exarch, Fenrir, DF, Law, Hozart, Derf...

Ted Boosley and his crew are gone. Dguy and his crew are gone. Haven't seen Angry Lobster or his brother in forever.

And that's just CFL. Life goes on I guess.

=[
The only thing you can do is organize fests to get interest with a tournament in the near future to train for and ****.
I went to the church that we used for LTEC2, but generally rooms are available from churches, but cost a good amount for rent. I got a discount because I went there, also made the pitch probably easier to get accepted.

Brawl converts will be few, but I think it's where the most opportunity for growth is. The face of smash right now is brawl. Sure there may be those few individuals who still play melee with their friends, but most of them will be playing brawl because all their friends play brawl. Also having Wifi available means more brawl players too. IMO there's a natural progression for some brawl players of getting good at brawl, becoming frustrated with certain parts of the game (maybe,) seeing melee videos and being amazed at how flashy they are, wanting to learn how to do that, starting to learn melee. So they need to be exposed to melee, and they aren't all going to come running immediately.

Yes sometimes melee needs to have its own events, but fusion events do help too.
I completely agree that fusion events should be taking place, but that the smaller-mid sized tournaments should be separate, since it is the only thing that is keeping the local community thriving.
I was thinking of doing a reconstructing of the Melee player locator section in the FL thread and making another thread to help new/current people with connecting more by registering in. As well as creating a new section dedicated to listing potential venues and maybe even drivers for people to use and discuss in different regions in the state. I know a really tough obstacle is locating a good venue so if people can share potential ones for others to take a look into I know that'd help a lot. That thread was built on Melee foundations and I want to help you guys out.

That's a good idea dude, I feel like a lot of players don't know how many smashers are active around them sometimes, so that would help.

PR's gotta make a comeback, but a new panel needs to be assembled seeing as a lot of old panelists aren't relevant anymore.

And louis good **** on your tourney, you know ill be there.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
excellent I have many things planned when the wheels start turning. Maybe a bit before or right after the process for a PR panelist selection begins I'll set out on the boards with my own things so we can get moving with a good start. Best thing to do in the beginning is get as many people out in the open as possible so we know who's who and have discussions like this going.

exarch

doot doot doot
Do we really need to wait to create PR? Someone pick panelists (Linguini, Skrach, Colbol, Hbox, Nicaboy seem like good ideas for example.) We've obviously got a high enough skill level to warrant PRings right now. They just need to be organized.

Also imo leave Shiz off because he's really not active at all. Maybe he'll be inspired to rejoin the scene? I'd say right now? Just do it. We can get more sophisticated as time passes. Or we could say the next NLL and WATO will go toward determining the PRs for the new period. That'll probably encourage attendance.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The problem with PR's is that we don't really have enough tourneys to get info from.

There's so few tourneys with multiple regions attending these days it's gonna be hard to make a list. That's why I suggest a tier list instead.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've pretty much moved on from smash. I still play it for fun occasionally, but I don't ever go out of my way anymore for it. I still hope melee doesn't die, and I look forward to results/vids all the time, but I'm too busy with other aspects of my life to make smash a focus anymore. Plus it's not financially viable for me anymore.

Hope yall find a way to bring it back!

:colorful:

Pi

Smash Hero
idk who kniht is skrach
but if you wanna put together smashfests i'll be there
my work schedule is weird now but i don't work until like 5pm on any given day so i can at least probably show up to weekend smashfests for a bit

also i know yall got your crews that you're with etc. etc.

but i was thinking of making a new crew & bringing back some hype crew trash talking

opinions?

also check out my sig & gimme some support!

Pengie

Smash Lord
Something else that I think that we are lacking in is videos; Cali has new tournament videos every week or so and even the Midwest has a consistent stream of videos coming out. Meanwhile, Florida seems to be lacking in videos, which I think is one of the reasons that we lack hype.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
A couple of people have been mentioning crews and it's a viable idea. It's more productive/exciting to work as a group that works towards beating other players/crews and improving themselves rather than going at it solo.

Following chillin's topic, the only difference I see between back then and now is that the drive to be the best and improve is not as apparent and the hype generated between crews.

Real talk though, more melee tourneys. You checked out that game shop (RUgame) yet Emilio?

Pi

Smash Hero
Something else that I think that we are lacking in is videos; Cali has new tournament videos every week or so and even the Midwest has a consistent stream of videos coming out. Meanwhile, Florida seems to be lacking in videos, which I think is one of the reasons that we lack hype.
i don't see your logic

A couple of people have been mentioning crews and it's a viable idea. It's more productive/exciting to work as a group that works towards beating other players/crews and improving themselves rather than going at it solo.

Following chillin's topic, the only difference I see between back then and now is that the drive to be the best and improve is not as apparent and the hype generated between crews.

Real talk though, more melee tourneys. You checked out that game shop (RUgame) yet Emilio?
def this
nobody gives a **** enough any more to practice, tbh you don't learn that much from generic smashfests/friendlies at tournaments

watching video's, having 1 on 1 sessions with players whos main focus is not just to beat you but to improve your game, and vise versa
you need to have a goal & a focus and a desire to work towards that if you expect to improve at all
it can't just be a casual thing, just being able to use advanced techniques effectively, and being 'competitive' with the game doesn't mean playing every once in a while isn't casual.

and lemme just say trash talk is a powerful motivator, but you gotta know how to handle defeat if it comes to that, but also never expect defeat

Top Bottom