• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to the tournaments?

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Hmm Would investing time in Amatuer brackets help at all? One of the more major points I'd see from Brawl players is the large amount of established skill vets and current players on the scene already have. From one person on AllisBrawl one thing I saw said it isn't that new players are really all too noobish or bad at the game it's just that the people who have been playing are already really good. You say that people complain they don't see improvement. From the perspective of a Brawl player Melee is very deep and it would take a lot of time before I'd be able to compare to you guys without feeling dwarfed still.

Maybe some of the things I'm saying don't hold up very to some of the points you guys could give. Personally though one of the things I think about as a Brawl player interested in the competitive Melee scene is how much my skill is going to be pale in comparison to you guys. Yeah I know that the time and dedication for changing that is part of the challenge of entering a competitive scene, but sometimes you can't help but think how much of a big jump it is to feeling decent and respectable.

eh I dunno, all johns I guess lol

:rosalina:

Pi

Smash Hero
the problem most people have is that they get too concerned with all the options they have when they need to be concerned with the options they give up

most good players approach extremely safe/smart or not at all.

Syphtan

Smash Rookie
I could help in getting that church that was used for LTEC2, since one I go there and two I am Exarch's younger bro.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Get your **** together FL! I've been interested in going to FL tournaments for a long time now, and will probably speak to some people about that sometime. Don't let the same thing that happened to Puerto Rico happen to you guys too! It's no longer a good place to compete in due to all the nonsense in the competitive scenes.

First FL, then it will die slowly in another state, and then another, etc. etc.

Those of you who I've met, please consider that I know what you look like. I will hunt you down if you do not start making amazing tournaments for me to drool over, nao. :lick:

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ugh, melee melee melee, i suck so bad at supersmash bros melee =( i could never get as good as i wanted to, even in my prime. although i love all the old memories i had with it especially all the gigs events. i still staying around though, i went up to TO6 with hbox, went to the recent NLL's, went to some fearless fests, smash is too good and great community, but i would say my decline with smash happened when i started playing World of Warcraft. It is truly an amzing game IMO, with ridiculous replayability. Also, starcraft2 is too good as well. although i spend alost all my free time playing one of those 2 games, they wont stop me from going to a saturday "MELEE" tourney if im off of work, so although i'll be rusty, if we just have the melee events, i'll still show, ive been having my staurdays off for awhile now, WITH NO MELEE EVENTS TO ATTEND!!!

if i can solidify having my saturdays off consistently, i'll think about possibly reinstating my iGT melee tourney series. I had a lot of fun with those.

but then again, it would be kinda redundant, since hbox holds his WATO tournies, and it'd be in the same area, so not sure if it would work too well, it might backfire and take away from the attendance of each other? idk, just random outloud thinking.

But im not ready for the community to forget about myself or WATO, i was super active in melee's prime and have too many memories.

SOOOOO, as it stands, ive been having a lot of saturdays off, and if i have a saturday off and there is a melee tourney in the CFL area, i will 95% be there ^_^

Here's to the REVIVAL OF MELEE!

EDIT: DID THEY COMPLETEY REMOVE THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR STATUS? MY NAME ISNT BLUE ANYMORE =(

peace

-misshiroshi

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Melbourne as a whole is on life support when it comes to smash, sadly. We haven't stopped playing altogether, but most everyone has lost the drive to go to tournaments. I've personally gotten the itch to start going again though, so I guess I'll have to be the lone Melbourne soldier for a while. Hopefully my brother and everyone else out here gets that urge again, too.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
im just looking for people to get into the near here (doral, kendall)
Gian franco does'n counts because he is gonna be in boston, so hes gonna be somewhere else, but he is playing. though i found another one new, a peach player. Borracho hahaha. and he;s going serious, he bought a controller and all. he livesin miramar

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord

Two-Ell

Smash Master
who said he had to compete? He can go for friendlies, meet people, or maybe at the very least watch matches. Going to a tournament as a beginning player is an amazing experience(I know since I went to my first smash tourney back in June). It'll get him hooked to this state's scene getting to know everyone.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
who said he had to compete? He can go for friendlies, meet people, or maybe at the very least watch matches. Going to a tournament as a beginning player is an amazing experience(I know since I went to my first smash tourney back in June). It'll get him hooked to this state's scene getting to know everyone.

oooh, i thought u wanted him to compete, of course im gonna take him bro :). hes been friend of mine since fking 10 years ago, and he moved here. so i introduced him into melee, and he likes it :)

HiIH

Smash Lord

Took someone like that to a tournament and I literally watched him get better. I went from consistently four stocking him after the course of ONE DAy where he played friendlies and pools, and was only one or two stocking him. It was an extremely noticeable change afterwards.
Going to tournaments are how you get better extroardinarily fast.

Pi

Smash Hero
my buddy's first time really playing the game was To6

decided to use marth the night we got there, taught him how to CC run into stuff and some basic combo's

was funny cause he was actually noting the # of matches he played, since they were his first lol

i think he was up to like 70 total games by the time we left

Top Bottom