• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Melee had Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Would you still play Brawl? Also this is not here to start a War just your opinion.So just answer with Brawl or Melee.

Arty

Smash Lord
Lol... if Melee Online was anything like Brawl than I Would NOT play Melee. The lag would completely change the game since there are so much techs and ATs.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Lol... if Melee Online was anything like Brawl than I Would NOT play Melee. The lag would completely change the game since there are so much techs and ATs.
Then allow me to change OP's topic title for you.

ITT: What if Melee had LAG-FREE Online?

kgo.

My answer is...

If Melee had LAG-FREE online I would never play Brawl.

Ange

Smash Lord
Since I have lame limited use of WiFi (Connector is hooked up on another comp which takes years to start up/takes 100 tries before it connects/my computer doesnt wanna install the software), I wouldnt really bother..

If it had no lag however, I dont know. Maybe. Probably.
I would play it like crazy if I actually could use my WiFi better then I can now.

However, I like both games so I guess Im neutral, but lag-free online Melee would be hot.
But, I hardly do online gaming anyway, so.. P:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If melee had lag free online that would be ridiculous. Why would melee have online so much better than brawl's? I'd probably play melee online just because of how incredible a fighting game running at a constant 60 fps with no input delay whatsoever as I play people from at least around the country if not around the world would be. It would be the greatest feat of online gaming ever as a truly ridiculous technical feat; why would anyone not play that?

If you want to assume it has reasonable online like brawl does, then I'm not sure how it would change anything. I don't think many of us who play brawl instead of melee are primarily motivated by the online. Expect almost all respondents to name whichever game was their favorite already.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If Melee had online...

People would press forward C-stick with Marth a lot.

Let's put it that way.

I would still play Barlw though. Online is too meh-ish regardless (come on guys, what online fighting game has seemingly lagless online? None? Mmkay, I thought so too) to be a deciding factor for playing X fighting game.

Also I will randomly say that Mario Kart Wii is not a fighting game and is not actually lagless. Mindgames.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It would be worse then brawl. Lag in Melee kills it more then it does in brawl. Where timing is important. You can't wave dash right, L cancel, or anything.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
Last night, while I lay thinking here,
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
And pranced and partied all night long
And sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pol?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow talle?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems swell, and then
The nighttime Whatifs strike again!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If Melee had online, I'd torture Sakurai until he ensured that the servers allowed for perfectly smooth gameplay. That or I wouldn't touch it.

Ange

Smash Lord
If I must choose one, it would be Brawl tho. If the GC had online features, a lag-less Melee would be as likely as lag-less Brawl, but it would still be pretty nice IF it existed.
However, I would pick up Brawl sooner or later regardless if Melee had online or not.

We can always think "What if..." :ohwell:...

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
You CAN play Melee online if you go through the necessary steps, but I rarely do it because nobody else really has the patience for it. If Melee had a simple online option like Brawl did, yeah, I'd play it again. Definitely.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It would be much more laggy then Brawl and everyone would hate it.
No one would even play it.

Witch_

Smash Cadet
I probably wouldn't play it. I'm positive I would discover, with the assistance of lag, a way to wavedash myself into a whole new blast line people didn't even know about.

Yes.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Brawl.

I still don't like how 'pro' Melee games just look like a bunch of people hopping around like idiots and you have to buy a new controller every other week. Brawl is more like the N64 version, which I preferred over Melee anyway since the Melee roster was so bad and there was so much hitstun it was ridiculous.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Brawl.

I still don't like how 'pro' Melee games just look like a bunch of people hopping around like idiots and you have to buy a new controller every other week. Brawl is more like the N64 version, which I preferred over Melee anyway since the Melee roster was so bad and there was so much hitstun it was ridiculous.
Buy a new controller every week?
I played melee for 6 years and brawl since the release and my controller is just fine. I don't know if you throw with your controller if you lose, because that might be the reason why you buy one every week.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Brawl.

You preferred N64 over Melee because Melee had too much hitstun? Um, it's well known that Smash 64 has the most ridiculous hitstun out of all three games, and a 12 character roster.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
You preferred N64 over Melee because Melee had too much hitstun? Um, it's well known that Smash 64 has the most ridiculous hitstun out of all three games, and a 12 character roster.
Not to mention most players have been using the same controller for several, several years, and that pro players in Brawl also look like a "bunch of idiots hopping around", because if Lemonwater actually knew what he was talking about before he posted, he would understand why they were just "hopping around".

Anyway.
I'd play a generally lag-free (few frames of delay/lag/whatever like on P2P/Kaillera SSB64) Melee over Brawl off of WiFi any day.

-Nòx`

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I've thought about this question before. I like brawl over melee but if melee had wifi...I'd proabably play melee more, just because the people who i live close to, play melee more than brawl and I could use the practice.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I'd normally read this topic and lol, but I absolutely had to respond.

If Melee had lag, it doesn't have to be like Brawl. Brawl's online is not "reasonable", it's horrid. Sure, it'd be like Brawl if Nintendo made it, but most likely, the only way we'd get online Melee is if a GCN emulator improves, and gets Kaillera support, so you can play it like SSB64. Get a GCN Controller adaptor too.

SSB64 kaillera on Good gets 8 frames. That's horrible delay, but it's less than Brawl. If you play on EXC or LAN, you can shoot to like 5 or below. If you play P2P, a server less connection [which is how Melee would be played most likely], you can get 4 frames fighting someone across the country or in Canada [when you're in Florida]. If you fight someone in the same state, it can be 2 frames, and within a few states, 3 frames. Sure, it'd still be too laggy for frame perfect play, but it's much, MUCH better than Brawl's lagfest.

By the time a GCN emulator gets good enough, and computers get good enough, we'll have Fiber Optic Internet [or more ISPs will have Fiber Optics somewhere]. Which means that those numbers will be MUCH smaller.

And Lemon made me lol.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Brawl.

haha.....ha....haha..haha...

Are

you

fawking

serious?

''Brawl is more like the N64 version, which I preferred over Melee anyway since the Melee roster was so bad and there was so much hitstun it was ridiculous''

Just this sentence makes you look like an idiot...You do understand Melee is way closer to 64 then brawl is and that 64 hitstun is way longer then melee hitstun and the roster is bad as well in brawl. If you taught about ''most character are not meant to be use tournamentely'' Well brawl as well, there is more to use that's just normal since theres 10-15 more characters.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
what if i am asking if melee had ONLINE.... it doesnt have to be crappy wifi... it could be the SC4 server or H2 links for all i care.

would people play it if this server was stable and turbo charged?

who wouldnt?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
People with no aptitude for technical gameplay. I would though, if it were perfect. But it would HAVE to be perfect.
And seeing as Nintendo can't seem to get a simple thing for online right, I doubt it would be close to perfect.

But lets just be hypothetical, if Melee had perfect online: HECK. YES. I would be on that around the clock!

Superstar

Smash Champion
But like I said, since Nintendo won't release it, online Melee would have to be emulated play. So, there's a chance the online would be decent. Albeit, harder to set up [easier than the current method, of course], but decent.

But, you can't remove lag, only reduce. Even 2 frames [interstate play] might piss off a lot of people.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
If melee had online, I would break my brawl (yes cinder).

But that could never happen sadly :(.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Brawl.

wat

If Brawl was like the 64 version, zero death combos would be abundant because SSB64 has the MOST hit stun out of the series.

Also, 1st party GC controllers are probably one of the resilient controllers ever. They've lasted several years. I still have mine from 00.

Also, 'pro' Brawl games just look like a bunch of people poking like it was a tickle fest.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
If Melee had a proper working lagless online that would be ****ing awesome!

Sadly, it has none :(

If Melee had online I would really consider smashing my copy of brawl into pieces

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Well, online would be worse, due to the Gamecube being less powerful as the Wii. The techniques would be harder to be inputted and performed. Also, it would be filled with nOObs anyway.

Though it's too late now to think such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom