• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Smash 4 turned out to be a great competitive game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wouldn't that just be great? Think of all the new stuff we'd have to talk about. Think about how the dual hardware would bring in all kinds of new tournament ideas, from the home-grown variety all the way up to international events. Think about alllll those new characters that we're going to love seeing.

Wouldn't it be great if it turned out that the only people who would hate to play Smash 4 were the same people who never really wanted to play it to begin with? I bet it's going to be a lot of fun. I've played the demo and I've seen the footage. I think it looks fine.

ProfTrumanchez

Smash Cadet
NNID
ProfTrumanchez
3DS FC
0731-4753-9860
I was waiting for one of y'all to make this thread :laugh:
I think it would be brilliant to finally see Smash in HD in a tournament setting with a more varied viable cast, plus people choosing FD could pick a background that won't get as stale that quickly (although Sm4sh's FD looks freakin' gorgeous).

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
I was just about to make this thread

If it turns out to be great competitively then I can possibly enjoy my time on smashboards instead of listening to the highest amount of negative whining i've heard in my life

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
The only reason I want it to be competitive is so they will play it at EVO or some place where I can watch the pros. I just like playing the games personally. I mean yeah I liked Project M and Melee better then Brawl, but I still had just as much fun with Brawl.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If it's a great competitive game, then there will be great competition (and I'll probably actually try to enter a competitive scene for once).

And from the way things are looking, it's gonna be a pretty good competitive game. Especially if Sakurai goes through with the balance patch idea.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I just want people on these boards to be happy with Smash 4. I'm getting tired of all of these negative threads.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
If it's a great competitive game then well.....great! We can all look forward to seeing a new game in big tournaments with a bunch of interesting characters. The game will always be criticized by SOMEONE but at least those of us looking forward to this game can be more than satisfied.

Here's an article I read about game balance from someone who played the demo heavily

http://berathen.com/2014/07/smash-bros-wiiu-3ds-balance.php

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand some of you people.
While the competitive scene is great, I'd figure you guys would be focusing a little more on hoping the game is fun, then rather it competitive.
In the end, Melee still exists.
And before you argue how it gets repetitive, I can guarantee you this will too after a while.

Anyway, if it's competitive, great.
But really, I won't cry about it if it isn't.
And really the question itself has multiple meanings.
I found Brawl very competitive between me and my friends, being an amateur gamer.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
If it gets competetive then I'll be in the dojo with my smash buds like melee just came out all over again. I have the resources to travel and would try to make my name known on the east coast. I would hope to seel old melee tournament faces in Florida and would be known as one of the oldest smashers to attend tournaments lol.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
While the competitive scene is great, I'd figure you guys would be focusing a little more on hoping the game is fun, then rather it competitive.
And before you argue how it gets repetitive, I can guarantee you this will too after a while.

I found Brawl very competitive between me and my friends, being an amateur gamer.
Yeah I'm looking for just a fun game. The competitive aspect is an added bonus and will mainly just be between my friends initially. If I/we decide to branch out and go to tourneys it's still great to know that this game would be supported on this front for years to come.

Nontoxic

Smash Cadet
I think since Sakurai has stated that he's open to patching the game, it could have a chance at being a great competitive game since they could balance it out or make tweaks to it in the future. Personally, I'd like to see more competitively-viable stages like Battlefield and Fountain of Dreams in For Glory mode, and maybe if that's not in the final game it could be included in a patch.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If it's a good competitive game, that means it's a good game period. And people can finally get off my back for playing an outdated game and for not playing an outdated game.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Then I'll play it.

For the most part it focuses on reads rather than combos at the moment. Combos are possible, but it's been generalized like Street Fighter, where you're not limited to one single string, but the most optimal move may be the same one every time.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm not really worried about this game not being competitive. The only thing I worry about is if this game is going to have every character correctly balanced amongst the others.
It'll be much more likely if the game is patched....and if not, eh....it's still possible, but that's just wasted potential, honestly.

ferioku

Smash Ace
IF it turns out to be awesome competitively, I want an apology from every noob who said that this game is a failure and is Brawl 2.0!

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950

Yo. In the end, Melee players would also like updated graphics, more characters, more viable stages, more music, etc.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
IF it turns out to be awesome competitively, I want an apology from every noob who said that this game is a failure and is Brawl 2.0!
Lol you're silly. Why should it even matter if you get apologies? You barely know some of those people lol. I dont expect apologies from jerks who hate the competitive community even though they are so bad that the quality of the game might not matter in the face of their ignorance and hate. Why join a group of people who hate you?

I don't think it'll be a great competitive game but on the off chance it is Ill play it for a bit. Ill still go back and play some melee and project M from time to time because they likely will still be the better versions of the game and the community is better imo.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Lol you're silly. Why should it even matter if you get apologies? You barely know some of those people lol. I dont expect apologies from jerks who hate the competitive community even though they are so bad that the quality of the game might not matter in the face of their ignorance and hate. Why join a group of people who hate you?

I don't think it'll be a great competitive game but on the off chance it is Ill play it for a bit. Ill still go back and play some melee and project M from time to time because they likely will still be the better versions of the game and the community is better imo.
If you read my post properly I said the people who call it Brawl 2.0 or that it's a failure of a game. You're just proving yourself to be even more ignorant. Besides, it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to buy it anyway.-_-

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
If you read my post properly I said the people who call it Brawl 2.0 or that it's a failure of a game. You're just proving yourself to be even more ignorant. Besides, it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to buy it anyway.-_-
And there it is. The type of person that makes me feel it doesnt matter how good smash 4 is. People who are jerks ruin the experience more than any amount of good gameplay decisions can make up. Its as if there are a ton of leffens walking around except they arent that great at the game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll wait and see, I'm confident it will be better than Brawl at the very least for people who hated that game.

Still it's a wait and see since Nintendo keeps dropping hints that the demo build was old and they could do stuff on the new build etc.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If Smash4 is great competitively, I'll probably leave these boards to avoid the inevitable clash of Toldjasos and Noitsuckses. Then I'll go develop my own playstyle and start a competitive scene in NC and see what happens.

ferioku

Smash Ace
And there it is. The type of person that makes me feel it doesnt matter how good smash 4 is. People who are jerks ruin the experience more than any amount of good gameplay decisions can make up. Its as if there are a ton of leffens walking around except they arent that great at the game.
To top it up, I still remember you posting that you would quit smash if Sm4sh doesn't fair competitively, you bash on the game saying it will be crap competitively and yet you're still going to buy the game? You're just contradicting yourself dude, please stop. Oh and if you was smart, you would know that I play smash melee competitvely as well, before making silly statements understand who you're talking to!

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
I'll wait and see, I'm confident it will be better than Brawl at the very least for people who hated that game.

Still it's a wait and see since Nintendo keeps dropping hints that the demo build was old and they could do stuff on the new build etc.
Hopefully they use their note taking powers from e3 for good like improving the game conpetitively instead of for evil which would be marketing purposes.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well at the end of the day, I'm more concerned about how it will be as a fun game and experience to play. 3DS version has me covered, though I just want to hear about more modes for Wii U, specifically a good single-player mode.

But yeah I do want to see it be a great competitive game and I am optimistic about it currently. I won't get any local tournaments because I live in Ireland, but I hope I can get involved in online tournaments, and I want to try see if I can come up with something for Smash Run too.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
If it's a great competitive game then well.....great! We can all look forward to seeing a new game in big tournaments with a bunch of interesting characters. The game will always be criticized by SOMEONE but at least those of us looking forward to this game can be more than satisfied.

Here's an article I read about game balance from someone who played the demo heavily

http://berathen.com/2014/07/smash-bros-wiiu-3ds-balance.php
Unfortunately the writer of that article hasn't even updated most of his correct information he found from other players (including me on Zelda) on the boards.

If its a great competetive game, I'm going to tell my friends off and rub my **** in their faces because I was right.

If its not, I'm still going to enjoy it just as much.

I mean, Smash has always been special to me. Brawl was special to me. It still is special. Now that I've become a competitive player, sure I want it to be competitive and have that flair, but it will not ruin the game for me at all. I played the demo, I fell IN LOVE with what I saw/heard/played/felt...Smash is creates memories and its perfect everytime, even if I can't SHFFL Drill Shine UpSmash Gimp one hit KO BS.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I want it to be competitively good so people can finally shut their ****ing mouths about games that I love.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm glad a thread with this name exists at least. Because people here most of the time only see glass half empty when it comes to Smash 4.
And I confess that I feel that being competitive might have its shortcomings too. Like people forcing on tier lists and banning stages. Looking down on casual players. Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS is to be enjoyed, not to create conflict.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm glad a thread with this name exists at least. Because people here most of the time only see glass half empty when it comes to Smash 4.
And I confess that I feel that being competitive might have its shortcomings too. Like people forcing on tier lists and banning stages. Looking down on casual players. Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS is to be enjoyed, not to create conflict.
The best way to say "screw that" to people who don't play a way you want to is to not support their play. Don't play with them, don't watch their streams, etc. Same as any business, I guess.

Casuals and Competitives will always be at each other's throats, it's just gonna happen. It's really best to just say "You guys play your way, I will play mine." and leave it at that instead of starting more flame wars.

Since my group is somewhere around the tipping point of casual vs competitive, we'll probably either alternate minitournaments between strict rules and loose rules, or just mix up the tryharding with Smash Run and team battles.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If it's a great competitive game, that would be fantastic. It would totally knock down all those Melee vs. Brawl stupid arguments.

LOL what if casuals made a "Project B" if it was competitive

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hopefully they use their note taking powers from e3 for good like improving the game conpetitively instead of for evil whixh would be marketing purposes.
They probably listened to some extent.

I wouldn't expect huge broad changes, but I doubt they did it and then put their troll faces on as they released the game. I would expect some changes though, that much is certain.

Senario

Smash Ace
To top it up, I still remember you posting that you would quit smash if Sm4sh doesn't fair competitively, you bash on the game saying it will be crap competitively and yet you're still going to buy the game? You're just contradicting yourself dude, please stop. Oh and if you was smart, you would know that I play smash melee competitvely as well, before making silly statements understand who you're talking to!
And another one, I never outright bash the game without expressing why I feel this or that about it. I'm not contradicting myself when I say that how competitive it is determines whether or not I want to support the game and get it. I haven't made a decisions on that yet. Honestly there are a lot of other games where I'm getting what I expect and I would likely support those with the money I save from smash. Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Dragon age Inquisition, heck even the sims 4 is going to be exactly what I expect even if the price is a little outlandish in general right now compared to the previous games I mentioned. As much as some people hate sequels there is a good reason why they sell, fans of the first game know what to expect out of the second game because they likely will be similar. Having them drastically different alienates that fanbase of the previous game.

That said, insinuating I'm not smart, ok lol "Before making silly statements understand who you are talking to!" Guy. I never pointed out a specific community where the people I want to avoid come from. They come from all communities unfortunately, the melee community is great on a tournament level because you go there and act like that and most people would set you straight. But there are people from all around who will be jerks plain and simple and there are quite a few people who want to force Smash 4 down the throats of dissenters of the game. You see a lot of them on these forums and I have to say that they aren't making a good case for the eventual smash 4 community in general. Dissenters may leave, but those people never will and that is concerning considering part of the reason that Melee is so popular is that the community has a lot of good, friendly players, going to tournaments you can meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends and that is part of the reason why it is so successful. The sense of a good community is important.

EDIT: I think that if the "If the game is bad competitively" thread is locked this thread should be locked too for consistency.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think since Sakurai has stated that he's open to patching the game, it could have a chance at being a great competitive game since they could balance it out or make tweaks to it in the future. Personally, I'd like to see more competitively-viable stages like Battlefield and Fountain of Dreams in For Glory mode, and maybe if that's not in the final game it could be included in a patch.
They're not going to patch in extra stages on for Glory because it'd disrupt the balance and now the outcome of the match would be determined by the random pick of the RNG.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
And another one, I never outright bash the game without expressing why I feel this or that about it. I'm not contradicting myself when I say that how competitive it is determines whether or not I want to support the game and get it. I haven't made a decisions on that yet. Honestly there are a lot of other games where I'm getting what I expect and I would likely support those with the money I save from smash. Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Dragon age Inquisition, heck even the sims 4 is going to be exactly what I expect even if the price is a little outlandish in general right now compared to the previous games I mentioned. As much as some people hate sequels there is a good reason why they sell, fans of the first game know what to expect out of the second game because they likely will be similar. Having them drastically different alienates that fanbase of the previous game.

That said, insinuating I'm not smart, ok lol "Before making silly statements understand who you are talking to!" Guy. I never pointed out a specific community where the people I want to avoid come from. They come from all communities unfortunately, the melee community is great on a tournament level because you go there and act like that and most people would set you straight. But there are people from all around who will be jerks plain and simple and there are quite a few people who want to force Smash 4 down the throats of dissenters of the game. You see a lot of them on these forums and I have to say that they aren't making a good case for the eventual smash 4 community in general. Dissenters may leave, but those people never will and that is concerning considering part of the reason that Melee is so popular is that the community has a lot of good, friendly players, going to tournaments you can meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends and that is part of the reason why it is so successful. The sense of a good community is important.

EDIT: I think that if the "If the game is bad competitively" thread is locked this thread should be locked too for consistency.
I was asked to lock it by the thread owner.

Nontoxic

Smash Cadet
They're not going to patch in extra stages on for Glory because it'd disrupt the balance and now the outcome of the match would be determined by the random pick of the RNG.
Most competitive players (In the states) consider Battlefield a more balanced competitive stage than Final Destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom