• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What IF we banned MetaKnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't. I'm simply positing the question of what you think would happen to the Brawl metagame should MetaKnight be banned, specifically in terms of the character match-up dynamics.

Discuss politely.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
we would be seeing much more variety in tournaments than we do now. Also a good number of other characters would be more viable since I can only think of a handful of characters that go neutral with MK.

:034:

Smash Hero
Snake would not dominate. The dominator here is Meta Knight, Snake is only played so much because he's a so-called counter to Meta Knight.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Tony/Dutchman: Myeah I guess I agree =_=. I dunno about America, but the few Snakes I've vs'd around my part of the world suck.

Our state is dominated by one REALLY good Metaknight on the other hand.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Nothing would change other than the the increase of other character use. Players previously using Meta Knight would use someone else, and the numbers would simply increase. I don't imagine another character dominating the scene if Meta Knight were banned, although there would be a character with a higher quantity of representation.

M@v

Subarashii!
More variety would occur. And if people kept playing snake, you would see more foxs, DKs, Falcos, Lucarios, and other good snake fighters. There are more good snake fighters than there are good MK ones.

Smash Hero
Also, Snake actually takes some real skill to play at a good level. Sure, he has some things about him that are amazingly broken (uptilt, ftilt) but you can't just pick him up and consistently win everything. With Meta Knight, you need to learn a few things and just play smart and you can beat pretty much everybody else. You'll only have to learn a few match-ups - Snake, Dedede, Game and Watch and Meta Knight for ditto's.

I'll admit though, Meta Knight is not unbeatable. He isn't broken into infinity. He CAN be beaten. But when pretty much all of your tournament losses are against Meta Knight's, people stepping over to Meta Knight even though they have AMAZING other characters, you might want to scratch your head a bit and rethink.

M@v

Subarashii!
Also, Snake actually takes some real skill to play at a good level. Sure, he has some things about him that are amazingly broken (uptilt, ftilt) but you can't just pick him up and consistently win everything. With Meta Knight, you need to learn a few things and just play smart and you can beat pretty much everybody else. You'll only have to learn a few match-ups - Snake, Dedede, Game and Watch and Meta Knight for ditto's.

I'll admit though, Meta Knight is not unbeatable. He isn't broken into infinity. He CAN be beaten. But when pretty much all of your tournament losses are against Meta Knight's, people stepping over to Meta Knight even though they have AMAZING other characters, you might want to scratch your head a bit and rethink.
Kinda agree here. Fox is my best, but one of the reasons I picked up lucario as a main also was to give myself a reliable MK fighter.....

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Plz don't ban him. I would like to see the game devolve into MK dittos, like 3S where there were 8 Chun Lis in the top 10 at evo or something.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
People would go back to complaining about Snake and wanting him banned.

Smash Hero
Plz don't ban him. I would like to see the game devolve into MK dittos, like 3S where there were 8 Chun Lis in the top 10 at evo or something.
Everybody knows having only one tournament viable character means you have a good fighting game.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Besides the fact that Dedede, ROB and Pikachu give Snake a hard time?

Who gives MK a hard time? He has no BAD matchups.
Snake.
And did I say people have logic?
No. They just want a reason to ***** about losing.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
MK is banned.....
"WTF Snake is broken!?!?!?"

Snake is banned....
"WTF Dedede chaingrabs are cheating!!!"

Dedede is banned...
"WTF game and watch is a ***** with his B-air!!!!"

G&W is banned...
"WTF **** ROB and his freaking stupidness!!!!"

ROB is banned...
"WTF marios cape is a ***!!!!"

Mario is banned....
"WTF Ganon is too ****ing powerful man!!!!"

.......and so on.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
If MK was banned? People would have to stop trying so hard to get better at their characters for the purpose of beating MK, the scene would diminish due to lack of purpose, and the world would eventually collapse under its own weight into an infinitely small piece of nothingness.

Having a slightly broken Meta Knight gives everybody who plays another character a little bit more of a reason to try harder, and gives a huge reason to make fun of anybody who uses him.

Tony_

Smash Ace
If MK was banned? People would have to stop trying so hard to get better at their characters for the purpose of beating MK, the scene would diminish due to lack of purpose, and the world would eventually collapse under its own weight into an infinitely small piece of nothingness.

Having a slightly broken Meta Knight gives everybody who plays another character a little bit more of a reason to try harder, and gives a huge reason to make fun of anybody who uses him.
This is true, but when the only playable character that can possibly counter another on the same plane exists, something has to be done. Its like allowing SF2 Akuma to be legal.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Besides the fact that Dedede, ROB and Pikachu give Snake a hard time?

Who gives MK a hard time? He has no BAD matchups.
So what? No one is denying that MK is good. But he CAN be beaten. These people that are pushing for MK's ban are simply butthurt about not being able to beat him themselves. If we give these people any kind of appeasement it won't be long before they push for more bans.

There is only one option and that is to GET BETTER.

This is true, but when the only playable character that can possibly counter another on the same plane exists, something has to be done. Its like allowing SF2 Akuma to be legal.
Last thing I heard, Akuma actually BROKE SF2. MK does not do that for Brawl.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Only the strong willed. Who usually happen to be top players. The big thing here is that all these complainers will eventually themselves turn into MK or switch to another "MK counter." Instead of trying harder to have more glorification of beating MK's and having fun being amazing with the character they chose, they switch over. Which is bull****. People need to stop complaining and giving in.

It is possible to win tourneys and place high with a ton of dif characters. Here in Texas our top 10 has quite a bit of diversity with top players using Marth, Falco, IC's, GW, OLIMAR, and SONIC. Some of which happen to be some of the best players in the US with their respective characters... It just takes a little will power.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

The fact threads like this exist is beyond facepalms.

MK is amazing, he is not God. Snake ca give him a hard time, so can G&W, Bowser actually stands a chance against him, it's not like in an equal skill fight, a 60/40 or 55/45 advantage is going destroy the opposing character. If a character simply stands no chance against MK, then ****ing use someone else.

People don't like accepting the fact that Brawl has about as many viable characters as Melee, ehe.

Tony_

Smash Ace
So what? No one is denying that MK is good. But he CAN be beaten. These people that are pushing for MK's ban are simply butthurt about not being able to beat him themselves. If we give these people any kind of appeasement it won't be long before they push for more bans.

There is only one option and that is to GET BETTER.
Agree with this, but if you can smash your locals every week like nothing with a character you don't even use Online is probably the only place you can obv play good people. =\

Union of Darkness said:
Last time I heard, Akuma actually BROKE SF2. MK does not do that for Brawl.
Give MK speed techs (if we ever find any), and MK WILL do that with Brawl.

The only reason why I want MK banned myself is not because of *****ing. Its to make anything lower than a mid tier tournament worthy. MK literally eats Low/Bottoms alive like no ones business. As long as MK is here, Low/Bottoms aren't going to do well at a regional or High Level tourney.

Tony_

Smash Ace

The fact threads like this exist is beyond facepalms.

MK is amazing, he is not God. Snake ca give him a hard time, so can G&W, Bowser actually stands a chance against him, it's not like in an equal skill fight, a 60/40 or 55/45 advantage is going destroy the opposing character. If a character simply stands no chance against MK, then ****ing use someone else.

People don't like accepting the fact that Brawl has about as many viable characters as Melee, ehe.

In Melee if the player was good enough, you could take a Mewtwo to a Falco and possibly win. Try again please.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Only the strong willed. Who usually happen to be top players. The big thing here is that all these complainers will eventually themselves turn into MK or switch to another "MK counter." Instead of trying harder to have more glorification of beating MK's and having fun being amazing with the character they chose, they switch over. Which is bull****. People need to stop complaining and giving in.

It is possible to win tourneys and place high with a ton of dif characters. Here in Texas our top 10 has quite a bit of diversity with top players using Marth, Falco, IC's, GW, OLIMAR, and SONIC. Some of which happen to be some of the best players in the US with their respective characters... It just takes a little will power.
Sadly people will never stop complaining or giving in. I can't help but see this blowing over once a few other characters place highly in noticed tourneys.

The general players I Brawl with are just as diverse. Nobody mains MK at all, and he only makes up a few secondaries, and I've never seen him played to the point where he's genuinely broken.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
In Melee if the player was good enough, you could take a Mewtwo to a Falco and possibly win. Try again please.

Did you seriously just pull THAT stunt? REALLY MAN? REALLY!?!

"If ur good enuf tiers dun matter" is something that has been completely and utterly DESTROYED by the top players using he **** tastic characters. Grow the hell up, good God.

Gimpyfish has an amazing Bowser, and absolutely pwns face. He only placed around the top 10, because BOWSER SUCKED.

Getting the point yet? God **** I can not believe people are still spouting that ****.

Grunt

Smash Master
The weird thing, is, there's like, 3 threads about this same thing that popped up fairly recently.
:\
People are weird.

Dojo

Smash Champion
You had to have such an insane amount of skill over that falco player to have a chance though. I highly doubt whoever the best Mewtwo in the world is would ever beat Shiz.

Which is the same case here. Besides chu and azen, higher tiers wrecked the tourneys nationwide in melee, just as they do in brawl. You would consistently see Fox, Falco, Marth, and Peach at the top.

You can still see other characters placing high in tourneys here...
Falco's, Marth's, Diddy's, Rob's, D3's, and even IC's have had some strong representation as opposed to just MK and snake in tourney. You try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom