• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Is Puff's Playstyle?

So, I've picked up Puff recently (because of S64) and tried out a few combos, beat up some low-level CPUs, and I found that I really enjoy playing the character. But I have a question: What kind of a character is Jigglypuff? What is her playstyle? You see, I'm confused. Top players like Bassmage seem to play in a very aggressive yet controlled manner, some say that she's a rushdown character, but others (Hbox) say that Puff is a character of patience, a whiff-punish character.
The thing is, I don't really know how to play aggressive/rushdown with Jiggs, since every time I try, I die. In other words, I get close... and they kill me. So should I play whiff-punish/patient? But how exactly do I do that?
Another problem I have is disadvantaged state. What do I do? Also, what do I do to keep up my advantage against a character with superior range?
Thanks so much!
-RJ

Skidibibap

Smash Rookie
A patient play style works against anyone thats playing Mario, lucina (swordies), palutena, or yoshi. If your bad at playing rush down it's probably a skill issue, try approaching with pound and going for rest setups. In any case puff is fun and if your having fun with them, that's awesome.

Oh, yeah, I will definitely have fun with her (Puff just feels like a girl to me, idk).
Yes, the rushdown issue is a skill issue. I will continue working on it!
(Holy cow, SOMEONE ACTUALLY RESPONDED TO A FORUM POST OF MINE TYSM!!!)

Skidibibap

Smash Rookie
Yeah I'm happy to talk with anyone who asks about Jigglypuff or shows up in my email. just remember d throw under platform is a good setup for rest, so is uair, rollout is a good followup after sing at mid-high percents because it sends at a very nice angle, and finally the only reason puff is lower mid tier is because of how hellish it is in a bad MU (DONT LET IT AFFECT YOU, just reference it as to how much effort your going to have to put into the game.)

Thanks, man! I plan to tinker with Roy to deal with bad matchups. If I don't like him, I'll just play the Ike or Yoshi and learn the matchup. If I like him, he may be a possible secondary. Who knows? I could actually get good with puff... I'll do my best!

Top Bottom