• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the best way to deal with chain grabs as Diddy?

PortCity

Smash Ace
There are a plethora of chain grabs out there, but is there a unified way with dealing with them? We all know the general advice "don't get grabbed", but what can a Diddy player do AFTER he gets grabbed. Are there some generally safe methods to interrupt chain grabs? Are there any character's whose chain grab is completely safe no matter what a Diddy does to get out? I don't have much experience with this, but it seems to me that having a banana in your hard or behind you isn't enough to ensure the chain grab stops. Post you guy's advice.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Once you are grabbed by a character that can chaingrab you, there is no escape until the end of the chaingrab by % or until the end of the platform you are standing on. That is the definition of a chaingrab pretty much -- inescapable, at least for a time: after about 40% you can DI away from Falco and he can no longer CG you, but D3 can CG you no matter the %.

Basically no, there is no safe way to get out. That's why the best advice really is to not get grabbed. If your opponent does not have frame perfect timing on the grabs, you can spotdodge or roll away.

Holding a banana and keeping one behind you are really the best options you have.

Keep in mind that Diddy also has a CG (works on all chars, but the spacing is different for each).

PortCity

Smash Ace
What about Yoshi and the IC? Is it smarter to try to jump out of a mistimed CG or should I try to attack in the middle of it? What about being chain grabbed by Falco into his Dair...will that always connect? Is there a thread where this topic has been address in its entirety?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
There are topics on those characters' respective boards discussing their respective chaingrabs.

If you're trying to get out of a CG, I'd suggest a spotdodge, as it's pretty much Diddy's fastest option. Jumping might work too, but if they mix it up and try an attack you might get hit.

You cannot escape a dair from Falco's CG unless you are at the right % to DI far enough away so that that dair cannot connect. Falco is able to CG you from about 0 - 40%. After that you can DI up and away as to not get grabbed again.

I'm actually unsure if there's a thread discussing all CGs and their shenanigans. I'd point you the right way if I knew. Maybe performing a search using the search function on the forums will help you out.

IDK

Smash Lord
can't spotdodge falco's because he catches you which means you cant jump release it's inescapable even by the instant escape. D3 on the other hand... if he is one frame too slow you can spotdodge. even slower you can roll. in any case if you are on the ground when you get grabbed if you press A within that frame... you instantly escape. D3 grabs you from the ground.

PortCity

Smash Ace
What is you guy's opinion on Kirby's grab? It seems like a golden combo on diddy, grab, throw, u-air, grab, throw, u-air, finish...

IDK

Smash Lord
my opinion? not fun to have done to you... fun to do. HEY! ITS MELEE! and i'm marth vs another marth. we do NOT have one sided matches...

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
What is you guy's opinion on Kirby's grab? It seems like a golden combo on diddy, grab, throw, u-air, grab, throw, u-air, finish...
Grab -> Fthrow -> Uair -> Grab -> Fthrow -> Uair -> finisher

shouldn't work on Diddy at all. The only people this works on is extremely heavies or space animals. Even Grab -> Fthrow -> Utilt -> Bair should be hard to land.

Just di up/ away and jump.

PortCity

Smash Ace
What ideas do you guys have for IC? The "leave a banana on the ground" idea kinda falls through on this one. They can just turn you around and throw you in the other direction. If bananas are on both sides they can just keep you in the same spot, chain throwing you. Is there some unified "best" way of getting out of their bull crap?

Irsic

Smash Ace
I have no imput with Ice Climbers.

On a character that you KNOW can CG, and a person you KNOW will CG you, you **** well better be leaving those banana's in tricky places. Going in from the air but in fear of shield grab? Take that banana with you and drop that **** right before you attack. You have to play correctly, and it is avoidable. It's hard, I'm not going to lie to you, but it virtually is possible, you just need to play it out correctly.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Spamming Bananas doesn't work when you get high up. You actually have to fight without them for a duration or two, that is why I'm trying to find out how to stop chain grabs. I guess, I'll take the time to sum up all the problems with each character's chain grab and report back to you guys.

Karttibone

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda new, so don't sue me if I talk nonsense.
If the CG is inescapable, you can't do nothing. Else if you get a frame I think it could work to make his sticky face flip. Either if you hit or not it should give you space. If you turn it into a ninja kick, he most likely punishes you.
Haven't tried this out yet. Just thinkin'

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
With DDD, right when he down throws I DI hard away from it and spot dodge. If he does it perfectly, then you're ****ed, but hey keep bananas on the ground at all times.

PurityX

Smash Cadet
Basically, you either have to wait until your percent is high enough (Falco) or dodge the oncoming grab. (DDD)

Top Bottom