• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point of crawling

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
Snake's Dtilt is a decent poking/edgeguarding move. On certain characters, it also can make your opponent miss their full-hopped aerials and occasionally help with spacing. But otherwise, if you're not playing Snake, there isn't much of a point to crawling.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
It lets you move backwards without changing direction.

Also there are ATs that use it for sliding.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ever seen Snake crawl?

Apparently his tilts are too good to punish it that well.

Then again it's mostly his ducking that's annoying, it just makes Falco's lasers useless against him.
Which is why you attack with your Falco Phantasm.

PeeP

Smash Apprentice
I'VE GOT IT!!!1!!!!!1!

Crawling is extremely useful, becuase not only can you crawl forwards, you can crawl BACKWARDS.

And thats useful because...oh wait, its not actually useful at all.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
luigis crawl distracts everyone with his mc hammer like crab walk. while he goes up to you and up Bs

infomon

Smash Scientist
To provide awkward new animations to brawl machinima
^^ yeah. Sakurai needed to add new tactical things to Brawl, but without really changing the gameplay. So he added gimmicks; crawling, wall-clinging, tripping, gliding. It doesn't matter if they're useful, they just make the game seem more diverse.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
^^ yeah. Sakurai needed to add new tactical things to Brawl, but without really changing the gameplay. So he added gimmicks; crawling, wall-clinging, tripping, gliding. It doesn't matter if they're useful, they just make the game seem more diverse.
Gliding and wall clinging aren't really gimmicks anymore. <<

Cinos_Gohegdeh

Smash Apprentice
crawling helps u dodge cirtain things for example

falco shooting. snake crawling for an attack.

it also helps from a smash attack. if your ducking you wont fly as far if you were standing. proven fact.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Gliding and wall clinging aren't really gimmicks anymore. <<
They're relatively minor features in the movesets of new characters only. (Yes, I'm still mad that Mario can't glide, wtf....) They're useful every now and then, as is crawling (to a lesser extent). My point is just that they don't have much of a real impact on the game.

Melee added a neutral-B move to every character. That was a significant addition. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that Brawl didn't introduce anything game-changing like that. Oh right, final smashes :/

Inuashakent

Smash Apprentice
Snake has a great crawl... plus, you can use it for some mindgames, too. It's sort of like walking, except your options are more limited, but so are your opponents.

I am Justice

Smash Rookie
Personally I am not a fan of the crawling. It does have some advantages in the "mind-games" department but other than that it's nothing special. I don't even use it in my game at all.

fear17

Smash Apprentice
Y did they put tripping in this game its pretty stupid that can decide a match you might have of won

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
scenario:

plant mine with snake....falco is laser spaming...camp behind while crawling.... if he aproaces in the air u-tilt or he'll have to aproach and hit the mine... if he down b s the mine immidetaly go for the grap. crawl into d-tilt could allso work....

point is crawling has purposes

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
Crawls were probably just put into the game because of Snake being in. The makers were probably like "Oh what if we give Snake the ability to crawl?" "Oh that sounds cool man!!" That's probably how it went along. And if snake could crawl then other characters could do it too. Some people's crawls would probably be useful for going forward and then when the opponent runs up, you could d-tilt them... that's the only use I can come up with though..........

IKE_Angel

Smash Journeyman
all you people who don't know is noobs
its one way to avoid projectile spammers and you can actually dodge some attacks and counter with a d-tilt

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Yeah there really isn't a point to crawling. I guess it could be used for some mindgames but I don't know. It is just an extra thing put into the game I guess.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
There really isn't much of a consistent use for crawling. You can to an extent avoid projectiles but the extremely limited amount of options from the position usually mean you're better off not using it. Of course you may be able to use it to get a surprise dtilt or two but overall I haven't found it worth using.

On a side note Ivysaur's crawl in particular is so amazingly useless that it is awesome.

Top Bottom