• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your criteria for picking your character?

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
ROB because he is awesome.

Basically I use whoever I enjoy playing. In a tournament I'll use whoever I'm best at (which is ROB ;P) out of the ones I enjoy playing.

That's basically it.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
One word

SHALLOW. I'm shallow. I choose for shallow reasons.

I'll take an attractive physical appearance over a strong character, and develop my skills around a character from there. Hence why i main Zelda. Of course part of it is the 'impression' given off by a certain character.

Zamus moreso because she has arguably the most impressive looking combos and attacks, generally. (But really, breast reduction please. It just looks awkward for the woman. Back problems anyone?)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The usually have to meet this criteria:

1. I have to like the franchise they're from. (Only franchise I don't like in Brawl is Fire Emblem.)

2. They have to have a decent learning curve and not be obnoxiously easy to play and win with *coughmetaknightcough*.

3. Not be freakishly overused. (The only exception for me is King Dedede.)

4. I have to like the characters. (I'm pretty good with ROB but I absolutely loathe him.)

5. I have to like their playstyle. (I don't force myself to play with anyone simply because they are top/high tier. For example, I can't stand playing as Snake.)

6. I have to have played at least one game in the character's franchise. (Which counts out MGS and Fire Emblem for me.)

7. Something about them makes me laugh when I'm playing as them. (One of the big reasons why I like Wario so much in Brawl.)

With this being said, my mains are Mario, Ness, Wario, Fox, the Ice Climbers, and King Dedede,

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Oh ho ho, someone that goes by looks, too.

I usually choose beautiful, cute, and the good-looking ones.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
It really depends on the character but normally I choose girl characters in games because I feel like they are under played and not respected enough. In the mario parties I have always been Peach, DOA, bushido blade, and in smash I initially chose Zelda because she is a girl.

Aside from that... I always liked Zelda and her lightning kicks really drew me to her. She is my main because she is a mix of uniqueness (because not many people use) and a good character. She fits my reactionary mind game playing style perfectly.

Other characters like Falco... I chose because he has an amazing meteor (especially in melee) and was just an overall awesome character.

Ike on the other hand... well I've really like the fire emblem games... and he's just a pimp... I don't think I need to go into more details.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
IC: Mostly because there were two of them...
Toon Link: I played link in melee and he changed too much in brawl so I switched.
Link (melee}: Fell in love after watching this video
Sonic: I loved the series so I though it would be cool to be good with him.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Just started a project where I only play as Low Tier characters - following Chillin's Tier List. And it just happened to be that Captain Falcon's at the bottom, which came as a surprise to me, since I didn't expect him to be at the VERY BOTTOM of the Tier List. Guess that was lucky for me too, since I get to main FALCON PAWNCH now. :)

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
I usually just pick random, although my two most used characters are:
R.O.B.: Why does everyone hate it being in Brawl? It certainly deserves being in more than an emo hedgehog, thats for sure.
Yoshi: First Smash Bros character I ever played as.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
For me is Speed, air game, killing moves and comboability. Theres a looks/coolness factor but still it is not that important to me... i choose characters that fit my melee playstyle cause im used to it and i dont think i would change a style ive been using for 6 years.

N M E

Smash Apprentice
I P1ck ma charicter cuz d33r L337 an top tier.

10lies Realy chose my charicters because I like they

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
They need to get the job done. I don't care who they are or are not; if said character doesn't feel right with me, I'll ditch them. In fact, there are characters that I use who I actually don't give two squirts of piss about otherwise. (Ness and Pokemon Trainer.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Meta Knight: I thought he looked bad ***.

Shiek: He's a ninja. I know the historical deffinition of a ninja, and that's why I like Shiek.

Fox + Falco: They're bad ***...

ROB: Underused. Underrated.

Zamus: Because I think Samus is awesome and I like speed, so making a fast and agile form of Samus made me happy to use her. Yes I'm a guy, no I don't care that Samus is a girl. I stopped caring when I played Metroid Prime.

Sonic: I dislike him, but I'm just good with him. I don't know why.

Marth: Fast swordsman with a cape. Nuff said.

None of my decisions have ever been influenced by tiers, they are always influenced by my first playthrough with each character, and what I think of them as a character.

Speed helps. :D

Ken-san

Smash Rookie
My criteria, well, when I first played Melee I thought it was a bit annoying having to see what all the attacks of all the characters did so I could choose one that I liked, when I found Marth I noticed that his normal attacks and B attacks where short range and that he had a counter, he seemed like an easy character to learn to play the game with, in the end his counter, his speed and range seemed too good to pass up. Also, he doesn't have any type of projectile/fireball so it's more interesting like that. Plus he's got a sword and he dresses blue, I like blue and swords so it's pretty much the right character for me.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
1) I have to be able to find a use for every special and every attack the character has
2) I have to enjoy the character (has to be fun to play)
3) Has to be able to kill EASILY by early 100% (basically meaning no Sonic)
4) If the character has a projectile, I have to, errm, like it (meaning no Luigi or Wolf)
5) Has to have a recovery I can respect (once again, no Luigi or Wolf, or Snake, Bowser, DK, or Pit)

Frown

poekmon
Yoshi
King Dedede
Luigi
Bowser
Pokémon Trainer
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Lucario
Falco
Diddy Kong
Wario
Mario
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
R.O.B.
Samus
Kirby
Metaknight
Peach
Ice Climbers
Pit
Peach
Jigglypuff
Zamus
Ness
Olimar
Snake
Zelda
Toon Link
Pit
Fox
Wolf
Link
Sheik
Marth
Lucas
Ike
Sonic

That's how much I like the characters. As you can see, the swordies and other serious characers are at the bottom.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Marth: I played him in melee and he is just awsome. And he has spikes!
Diddy kong: Good air game and spikes!
Toon link: A better version of link and Spikes!!
Ike: (sp)ike!
Captain falcon: Knee, Spike, Falcon punch!
Snake: He's just awsome, Spike!
Lucas: Dun really know...he just plays cool. And of course spikes!!!

And i like to use any other character with spikes!

MPH Deku

Smash Journeyman
G&W: Well...it's a long story.
Ike: Big sword. Also, I wanted a slow and heavy character.
Zelda/Shiek: >_> <_< Wanted to use a female character. Shiek was a counter for some of G&W's worst enemies, so...
Lucario: Because the Lucario boards make me jealous. Seriously.
Kirby: Um....he's adorable. God, where is my manliness going?!
C. Falcon: Ahh, there it is. I played as him in a competitive match for kicks, and found out that I actually kick butt with him.

Mentally Disturbed

Smash Apprentice
I generally play any character I can slip into playing well with.

Marth - Melee main, like playing in black.
G&W - My playstyle is usually in the air and that's where G&W performs best IMO
R.O.B. - I can play him in a similar way to Marth
Ganondorf - Played him in Melee, enjoy playing with him.
Zelda - Much better in Brawl to the extent I don't play as Shiek anymore.
Ike - Another one I enjoy playing as.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Picking character is easy for me. It depends on the height, weight, and hair color of the chick I banged the night before.
No eye color? really?

AQT

Smash Rookie
Toon Link-Cos he's easy to use in my opinion.
Snake-Really really fun to use.
ZZS-Really fast and is hot. :p
Lugi-Easy to use and just overall godly
Falco-Uber cool and has a nice moveset

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Fanboyism, and useage. For example I was going to main Meta-Knight before brawl came out, then everyone switched to him. He was my favourite kirby chararcter. My current main Pokemon Trainer, is because I love pokemon and not alot of people play him.

Top Bottom