• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What jump is better?

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
It all comes down to preference. Alot of quick techniques need X or Y or else they're very hard. Y is the best positioned button I think, but I use X.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Well AFAIK, some people like X because they can hit X and A with the middle of their thumb, while using Y put your thumb in this arc, which some people don't like.

Lovage

Smash Hero
they're all the same, just use whatevers easiest to you

i use the stick for all my jumps except wavedashes from the ground, and when i spam Y for recovery during hitstun

pockyD

Smash Legend
i short hop with x, wavedash with Y, and alternate between all 3 options when fulljumping depending on what i'm trying to do (aerial on the way up, drift forward, drift backwards, uair, waveland on platform, etc)

to beat a dead horse, there's no wrong way, just whatever way feels comfortable

up-stick is by far the least popular though, if you need a qualifier

QED

Smash Apprentice
I think character selection plays a huge role in choosing what method you want to use for jumps. For slower characters you may want to use X/Y button to maximize aerial control (jump with button, horizontal movement with control stick) since spacing is crucial. I personally use Y.

For spacies on very high level, you may want to utilize all 3 options. I personally use Y for normal aerials and wavedashes, X for multishines (best position for sliding thumb to B button), and up for out of shine aerials/up B (for Falco) or SHDL (for Fox). The reason I use up for shine aerials is that it has the least movement on the hands... which means greater control and speed.

Comparing the two options:
1. utilizing button jump:
left thumb: down
right thumb: B
right thumb: X/Y
right thumb: C-stick aerial or netural A

2. utilizing up jump:
left thumb: down
right thumb: B
left thumb: up
right thumb: C-stick aerial or neutral A (it actually may be quicker to use your palm for C-stick left input)

By utilizing the up jump you negate the movement from B to X/Y then back to aerial input. You instead get an extra controller stick input but I think it's a lot faster due to less thumb movement and lack of a button press.

As another tip, some people go from X/Y to Z for quick nairs. Instant nairs out of jump is crucial for some characters like Shiek. Doing a quick tap from X/Y to Z may make it easier to do this than going X/Y to A (due to the fact that you can partition the two movements between two fingers rather than shifting through two buttons with one thumb).

Regarding which character you might want to start using:

If you are laid back and want to enjoy the game: start with whatever character you like and feel comfortable with. I'm pretty sure a lot of Samus mains out there started because a hawt blond girl pummeling others in armor was a turn on for them. And the sex kick is good.

If you are a perfectionist, spacies/falcon are going to be quite frustrating. If you watch high end play on youtube you will see that APM and control of those characters are QUITE overwhelming for a new player. Complete control over those characters will take immense effort. I recommend playing a slower character and building confidence and knowledge of the game before switching to these chars.

If you just want to win matches, I recommend starting with the slower characters on the top and high tier list (Marth, Shiek, Puff, etc.). Build tech skills, match up knowledge, and spacing techniques and then, if you want to, move on to the more technical spacies.

I've been playing this game since the day it came out but only learned about ATs last year. So as another guy who started ATs late, I think my opinion would help. Also if you want to get better quick, you need to find certain types of players around you. Ideally, you want to play against players that are much better than you (mid-high competitive level) and players that are on the same level as you.

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
Just use whichever button you feel more comfortable with, and experiment. I use X primarily although certain techniques I find easier with tap jump.
As for a beginner character, I played Fox until I developed tech skill, then went on to try the top and high tiered characters before settling on the ones I enjoy the most and have the most success with.
Brawl sucks.

Top Bottom