• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes Luigi better?

windspirit

Smash Rookie
This is to all of you who use Luigi as a main/have him as your favourite character.
The question is "What makes Luigi better (for you) than the other characters?"
Another question you can consider answering is (if you don't like him) "What does Luigi lack/need?"

I think that Luigi is fast and has great moves. His moves, if executed properly, can get you out of a tight spot as well as doing good damage to the opponent. Something like that.

Mods, you can close this thread if you must, but say why!

Eten

Smash Ace
Luigi's has super fantastic aerials because of their speed, damage, and flexibility. Like his Nair, it's perfectly vertical knockback makes it useful in 20 different ways. His fast and lagless attack speed, damage, and KO power mesh together almost seamlessly.

I like him, but what he lacks/needs badly is some way to approach/space against shieldgrabbing- similar to G&W's Turtle or if he had disjointed hitboxes. On default, something like Luigi's Dair->Nair spaced will punish a shieldgrab buffered from a Dair on the shield, but people who are actually used to Luigi just keep shielding until the Nair and shieldgrab you then instead. It can leave you really tired of being shieldgrabbed all the time pretty quickly.

chic

Smash Ace
hmmm eten against shield grabbers ive pretty much started spamming buffered fairs/bairs until they make a move and then i tornado and own them in the face

question 1. hes just fun to play
question 2. luigi forward tilt and dtilt is pretty lame but its not really an issue. oh yea his dash is the sux but overall hes fine just as he is

Atash

Smash Apprentice
@ 1st Q:

Luigi... is Italian. Nay, he's not just Italian, he's the BROTHER of an Italian. They're an Italian family. Y'know what that means?

... Luigi is the silent mobster. Mario does all the talking, and Luigi feigns his scaredness. He's so good at feigning it, that he even feigns it in the face of ghosts like those of Luigi's Mansion. Heck, he OWNS A MANSION! And he was philanthropic enough to donate it to the brawl community to fight in. He's a philanthropic mobster who can fake cowardliness. Oh, and he's tall.

And he has an awesome 'stache. That alone makes him awesome to play as (and better than Mario - [Luigi's 'stache] > [Mario's 'stache]).

@ 2nd Q:

LUIGI LACKS LIGHTNING! He needs more 'Thunda!' from Mario & Luigi RPG!!! His forward aerial should be, like, a thunderhand chop with a disjointed sphere of electricity swiping over his head and dissipating violently (not necessarily 'exploding' per se) in front of him. And his F-smash should have a BZZAP! sound effect.

He also needs a Mr. L costume...

(( This is where it gets really stupid ))

His tornado should spew lightning bolts all over the place. Anyone standing within close range of Luigi should receive lightning damage at the same rate or more as if they were standing off-screen. His U-tilt should drag a giant ball of electricity over his head. His FJP should also have electricity damage and constant vertical knockback (twice the height of Luigi's FJP) occupying an invisible hitbox as far out in radius from Luigi as Snake's U-tilt has horizontally. Each of his jabs should have the same hitstun as ZSS's uncharged paralyzer shots. His final smash should be his Brobot from the game Super Paper Mario coming out from the heavens and squashing everyone. His Up-B should be chargeable, such that he squashes downwards (viz-a-viz Super Paper Mario) and flies roughly as high as Sonic's Up-B at full charge.

And, and, and... Even if someone else wins a match, Luigi should still be mentioned by the announcer: "And the winner is... Luigi, just 'cuz he's more awesome than whoever you picked to fight him!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

windspirit

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've thought that as well. Luigi does need more thunder! MOAR FAREEKING THONDAAAAAR! But I think that he still pwns, even without i!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
moar thunder would be epic, also chic you said dtilt is lame, I disagree although it isnt a good move by itself it can trip the opponent which can be followed up by a free up-B if you do it right,
also once they are above %100 it pops them into the air in a stunned (mmm not really stunned by then cant do anything till they bounce on the ground) animation, giving you a free upB, or a free up tilted fsmash, either of which is pretty much a garenteed kill.
luigi is pwn

Magus420

Smash Master
The lag on the d-tilt is way too long. Unless it trips, it's unsafe on hit for quite some time, then just after it begins to have enough ground stun to get a jab in after it they start to get popped into the air where they have significantly less overall stun than lower percents due to Brawl's ******** air stun system, and they can dodge or attack before the d-tilt ends. Considering you lag for 29 and they are always able to airdodge after 13 and attack after 25 on any knockdown air hit, the f-smash or up-b after an air hit should never actually work unless you caught them by surprise and they really messed up or something.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi's has super fantastic aerials because of their speed, damage, and flexibility. Like his Nair, it's perfectly vertical knockback makes it useful in 20 different ways. His fast and lagless attack speed, damage, and KO power mesh together almost seamlessly.

I like him, but what he lacks/needs badly is some way to approach/space against shieldgrabbing- similar to G&W's Turtle or if he had disjointed hitboxes. On default, something like Luigi's Dair->Nair spaced will punish a shieldgrab buffered from a Dair on the shield, but people who are actually used to Luigi just keep shielding until the Nair and shieldgrab you then instead. It can leave you really tired of being shieldgrabbed all the time pretty quickly.
^^ This.. He basically answered pretty much what i was gonna say.

The lag on the d-tilt is way too long. Unless it trips, it's unsafe on hit for quite some time, then just after it begins to have enough ground stun to get a jab in after it they start to get popped into the air where they have significantly less overall stun than lower percents due to Brawl's ******** air stun system, and they can dodge or attack before the d-tilt ends. Considering you lag for 29 and they are always able to airdodge after 13 and attack after 25 on any knockdown air hit, the f-smash or up-b after an air hit should never actually work unless you caught them by surprise and they really messed up or something.
I highly agree as well as down angled ftilt >_>. if it didnt have afterlag, it'd be a nice semi ftilt lock.

As for the thread, I truly love the mindgames you can pull off on jabs. You literally mess with a person's mind with it.

I think the main thing a person has to overcome is overcoming how to approach creativitiy and looking for a defensive manner.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I'm like the only Luigi that uses F-Tilt, lol. I like inspired hippie to start using it. After a few of our games where he didn't use it and I did he just suddenly began...

Anyway, Delvro stated just how I feel. Characters like Snake feel... choppy.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I'm like the only Luigi that uses F-Tilt, lol. I like inspired hippie to start using it. After a few of our games where he didn't use it and I did he just suddenly began...
Ftilt = excellent spacing with crawldash
Jab -> Jab -> Ftilt is really safe and does almost 20% with no risk

Ust Ftilt more plz.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace

Anyway, Delvro stated just how I feel. Characters like Snake feel... choppy.
You aren't the only one.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
lol. i use ftilt from buffering now. it's a secks beast. i also do it from jab cancels. ftilt is very good srsly. proably his best 2nd or 3rd ground move.
This is correct ^

We all thought Ftilt sucked not too long ago, and I'm glad to see we're coming around, haha. I'm using it soooo much more now. Its just too good out of a jab.

Top Bottom