• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes one player better than another?

izic

Smash Cadet
Is it tech skill? Mindgames? General knowledge of the game? Winning more games than another player? In your opinion, what is it?

Judo777

Smash Master
Is it tech skill? Mindgames? General knowledge of the game? Winning more games than another player? In your opinion, what is it?
It's alot of stuff. Tech skill, basic knowledge of the game, knowing what to do in certain situations, spacing your character right etc. Ideally if 2 player played their MU perfectly and didn't make mistakes and always did the optimal move then i think the game would break down into who had better reflexes and whos better at winning rock paper scissors guessing games.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I had a very long explanation typed up. Then, I realized that most of what I was saying could be summed up pretty simply: Predict, don't react. Instead of reacting to what you see, make judgement about what will happen next based on what you see. The fastest reactions in the world will not help you if your opponent is reading you better than you are reading him. The difference between an average and a great player is the ability to see what is coming further and further down the road (in seconds). The more you pay attention, the better you will be able to guess what is going to happen next based on what your opponent is doing at that exact moment.. Watch your opponent and his actions, not your own.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Winning is what matters. There isn't really any 1 specific category that makes you objectively better otherwise.

If you have alot of tech skill, but you are super obvious and oblivious when it comes to mind games, you can still lose.

Winning more = better.

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
I had a very long explanation typed up. Then, I realized that most of what I was saying could be summed up pretty simply: Predict, don't react. Instead of reacting to what you see, make judgement about what will happen next based on what you see. The fastest reactions in the world will not help you if your opponent is reading you better than you are reading him. The difference between an average and a great player is the ability to see what is coming further and further down the road (in seconds). The more you pay attention, the better you will be able to guess what is going to happen next based on what your opponent is doing at that exact moment.. Watch your opponent and his actions, not your own.
I agree with this guy.

I am (in the process of) getting better and I've noticed that predicting your opponent plays a huge part in keeping the momentum in your favor. At least in my opinion.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
There's also a lot of mentality involved with being a good player, you always need the right mindset to win. The ability adapt is also a really big one, because your not going to predict every single thing that's going to happen in every single match-up, unless your psychic, but that'd just be unfair.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
There's also a lot of mentality involved with being a good player, you always need the right mindset to win. The ability adapt is also a really big one, because your not going to predict every single thing that's going to happen in every single match-up, unless your psychic, but that'd just be unfair.
I agree. Mental state does a lot in competitive gaming. Also adaptability is huge because in many cases that's what ends up determining closely skilled players.

Say a player was in a situation where they were scheduled to play somebody in a competitive ladder in an hour. They already know the maps that will be played and might have a good idea what character their opponent will be based on who they usually use or information in their profile. Naturally they would be preparing for the match and all. But then...the person uses a totally different character or perhaps doesn't play the map the way most people would or has very abnormal strategies. The people who figure out how to get it done are the players who go far.

It's so important to learn how to change things up things in a battle to gain the upper hand.

MJG

Smash Hero
I agree with all of what you said except for the fact that we should predict and not react. My reaction game is amazing and I am also good at predicting (I am better at reading than predicting)...maybe I misunderstood what you mean but I feel like both of those come hand in hand (at least for me as a player in general).

Lokinario

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Mental state does a lot in competitive gaming. Also adaptability is huge because in many cases that's what ends up determining closely skilled players.

Say a player was in a situation where they were scheduled to play somebody in a competitive ladder in an hour. They already know the maps that will be played and might have a good idea what character their opponent will be based on who they usually use or information in their profile. Naturally they would be preparing for the match and all. But then...the person uses a totally different character or perhaps doesn't play the map the way most people would or has very abnormal strategies. The people who figure out how to get it done are the players who go far.

It's so important to learn how to change things up things in a battle to gain the upper hand.
This. Even the best player may have a really, really bad day and because of it do bad on a tourney or something.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I agree with all of what you said except for the fact that we should predict and not react.
I really think differently. I think reacting is always the best option if you do it right and train your reactions properly, because then everything is guaranteed. Predicting for larger gains is good if you Really are sure about it, and Smash as a series has so many variables we are forced to read but I really have been starting to take a street fighter approach to this game and just footsie/react option wise and throw in reads when I see something consistent.

MJG

Smash Hero
I really think differently. I think reacting is always the best option if you do it right and train your reactions properly, because then everything is guaranteed. Predicting for larger gains is good if you Really are sure about it, and Smash as a series has so many variables we are forced to read but I really have been starting to take a street fighter approach to this game and just footsie/react option wise and throw in reads when I see something consistent.
I am confused now. I never said to not react or to not predict. In fact, that is what my game revolves around lol.

I was simply saying that I didn't agree with the fact that we should "just" try to predict and not react.

:toonlink:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I am confused now. I never said to not react or to not predict. In fact, that is what my game revolves around lol.

I was simply saying that I didn't agree with the fact that we should "just" try to predict and not react.

:toonlink:
in that case sorry i misinterpreted ;)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think winning the most = the best like ppl have said

the brawl community gets so much into complicated semantics regarding everything lol. i'd like to see more old school trash talk with ec vs wc stuff hehe

irrelevant statement but that's what i think

miss that vibe (since ive been getting more into marvel)

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
the simplest way to determine i players skill in comparison to anothers is consistancy. Who performs better more consistly than anyone else.

IE: who has the best winning/losing record ratio with everyone

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mostly semantics

predicting usually has to do with making a guess and guessing right, based on what you think the opponent's gonna do. like, an intuitive decision

reading can be the same thing, but generally the term "reading" can be used for quick reactions to things like techs and spot dodges, jumps, attacks, etc. like, they were ready for it and the reacted almost instantly.

idk, mostly just semantics, depends a lot on context

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
A person is better than another if he is able to quickly adapt, read his opponent, and can keep his cool despite a bad day.

Because as Lokinario pointed out, a guy can have a really bad day and fail. However, if he can manage to still keep his mind set on the game and perform as well as he usually can, then he is a really good player.

Top Bottom