• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes pokemon so successful

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It's awesome.
Slave driving mutant animals to attack other slave owners animals to the death?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Most people aren't aware of this, but inside the Pokemon game case is a small amount of powder cocaine that is released into the air as you open it. Once you start playing the game continues to release very fine amounts of cocaine into the air, keeping you playing.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
The girls.

See sig. They're actually waitresses irl.
Seriously, a small yellow rat can sends thousands a volts down your body. What's not to love about that?

Inb4 possible signature infraction.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
The success of the series is due to immense amounts of choice and freedom in playing. Unlike in many RPGs, there is no enemy that cannot be recruited. Literally dozens of combinations are possible when every ogre is a hero, each boss is a friend, every bullet is a gun, each master a slave/ I am the brick that the architect returned...Wait, I was talking about something else. Oh, right. Yeah, it's definitely the choice, along with the ability to show off against your friends with your own creativity.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
What makes a game good is the amount of success you feel while playing through the game without it feeling repetitive. Pokemon includes many, many different ways for the player to get the feeling of success. Capturing Pokemon, leveling up, learning attacks, winning battles, evolving, building teams, collecting items, earning badges, OMFG A CRIT SAVED MY ASS, among others. Pokemon's formula allows you to replenish each feeling of success with another.

For example, if you defeat wild Pidgeys over and over, it'll start getting repetitive. Your Pokemon can gain experience from that allowing you to level up. Leveling up never gets old because your Pokemon can evolve, learn new attacks, and become stronger as you level. Other than just defeating Pidgeys, you can also capture them, giving you a whole new Pokemon to battle with, use new moves, and fill up your Pokedex. Each time you succeed in something, you don't just succeed in one aspect of the game, you succeed in many.

Learning more about the game is also important. If you don't know how to play, you certainly aren't going to succeed very often, or at least fail at a pivotal moment in the game. When you talk to other NPCs, there's a chance they may give you an item. This encourages players to talk to as many NPCs as possible, and thereby learn more about the game both strategically and storyline-wise.

Pokemon also gives you a lot of freedom. At first, you couldn't run inside houses. Players hated this. In D/P, this was fixed to give players that freedom. Also, being able to save right before a Gym Leader is a very important example of freedom. Imagine how bad it would suck if you could only save inside a Pokemon Center. Freedom makes the game easier to play, and thus easier to progress.

This is just a sample of what makes a good game. I want to make video games when I get outta college so I know my stuff. There's also obvious stuff like graphics, controls, collision detecting, multiplayer, replayability, MUSIC, story, art, blah blah blah...

zrky

Smash Lol'd
what Makes A Game Good Is The Amount Of Success You Feel While Playing Through The Game Without It Feeling Repetitive. Pokemon Includes Many, Many Different Ways For The Player To Get The Feeling Of Success. Capturing Pokemon, Leveling Up, Learning Attacks, Winning Battles, Evolving, Building Teams, Collecting Items, Earning Badges, Omfg A Crit Saved My Ass, Among Others. Pokemon's Formula Allows You To Replenish Each Feeling Of Success With Another.

For Example, If You Defeat Wild Pidgeys Over And Over, It'll Start Getting Repetitive. Your Pokemon Can Gain Experience From That Allowing You To Level Up. Leveling Up Never Gets Old Because Your Pokemon Can Evolve, Learn New Attacks, And Become Stronger As You Level. Other Than Just Defeating Pidgeys, You Can Also Capture Them, Giving You A Whole New Pokemon To Battle With, Use New Moves, And Fill Up Your Pokedex. Each Time You Succeed In Something, You Don't Just Succeed In One Aspect Of The Game, You Succeed In Many.

Learning More About The Game Is Also Important. If You Don't Know How To Play, You Certainly Aren't Going To Succeed Very Often, Or At Least Fail At A Pivotal Moment In The Game. When You Talk To Other Npcs, There's A Chance They May Give You An Item. This Encourages Players To Talk To As Many Npcs As Possible, And Thereby Learn More About The Game Both Strategically And Storyline-wise.

Pokemon Also Gives You A Lot Of Freedom. At First, You Couldn't Run Inside Houses. Players Hated This. In D/p, This Was Fixed To Give Players That Freedom. Also, Being Able To Save Right Before A Gym Leader Is A Very Important Example Of Freedom. Imagine How Bad It Would Suck If You Could Only Save Inside A Pokemon Center. Freedom Makes The Game Easier To Play, And Thus Easier To Progress.

This Is Just A Sample Of What Makes A Good Game. I Want To Make Video Games When I Get Outta College So I Know My Stuff. There's Also Obvious Stuff Like Graphics, Controls, Collision Detecting, Multiplayer, Replayability, Music, Story, Art, Blah Blah Blah...
This .

Overload

Smash Lord
Brainwashing.
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I don't know about others, But for me, Its the thought of catching all the pokemon and filling the " Pokedex ", Kinda like what this person said

Brainwashing.
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!
But I think this is a really good reason

What makes a game good is the amount of success you feel while playing through the game without it feeling repetitive. Pokemon includes many, many different ways for the player to get the feeling of success. Capturing Pokemon, leveling up, learning attacks, winning battles, evolving, building teams, collecting items, earning badges, OMFG A CRIT SAVED MY ASS, among others. Pokemon's formula allows you to replenish each feeling of success with another.

For example, if you defeat wild Pidgeys over and over, it'll start getting repetitive. Your Pokemon can gain experience from that allowing you to level up. Leveling up never gets old because your Pokemon can evolve, learn new attacks, and become stronger as you level. Other than just defeating Pidgeys, you can also capture them, giving you a whole new Pokemon to battle with, use new moves, and fill up your Pokedex. Each time you succeed in something, you don't just succeed in one aspect of the game, you succeed in many.

Learning more about the game is also important. If you don't know how to play, you certainly aren't going to succeed very often, or at least fail at a pivotal moment in the game. When you talk to other NPCs, there's a chance they may give you an item. This encourages players to talk to as many NPCs as possible, and thereby learn more about the game both strategically and storyline-wise.

Pokemon also gives you a lot of freedom. At first, you couldn't run inside houses. Players hated this. In D/P, this was fixed to give players that freedom. Also, being able to save right before a Gym Leader is a very important example of freedom. Imagine how bad it would suck if you could only save inside a Pokemon Center. Freedom makes the game easier to play, and thus easier to progress.

This is just a sample of what makes a good game. I want to make video games when I get outta college so I know my stuff. There's also obvious stuff like graphics, controls, collision detecting, multiplayer, replayability, MUSIC, story, art, blah blah blah...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Most people aren't aware of this, but inside the Pokemon game case is a small amount of powder cocaine that is released into the air as you open it. Once you start playing the game continues to release very fine amounts of cocaine into the air, keeping you playing.
Catching 'em all? Bah. It's the cocaine, guys. CLEARLY.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
The fact that Pokemon can be a learning tool that many kids can gain intelligence from.

Ex) Types

Fire>Grass, Bug, Ice, Steel
Water>Fire, Rock, Ground
Etc.

Kids should learn this from the game not the anime. The anime screws this up so badly.

New poeple shouldn't be so naive about Pokemon being for kids 'cause it's not.

The anime makes it for kids....

So sad....

Frio

Smash Champion
I think someone else mentioned this, Brainwashing. All those ears of gotta catch em all has an effect on the mind >_>. Then we showed the show and game to our younger sibilings and it's a never ending evil cycle of CHAOS.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Kids should learn this from the game not the anime. The anime screws this up so badly.
OHHHH HEY GUISE!!!!! PIKACHUUUU USE THUNDER BOLT ON THAT TORTERRA BECUASE CLEARLY GROUND CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY. SRSLY!

Yea I see your point. But I didn't open the box or bought D/P or any thing 4th gen which got me addicted so.......YOU GUYS ARE CRACK ADDICTS! YOU CANNOT DENY!!!

On a more serious not who doesn't want too see a electric mouse killing a huge dragon serpent?

Frio

Smash Champion
The anime taught kids some important things. An example is that if you aim for the horn it'll make Thunder a 100 times more powerful

urdailywater

Smash Hero
The anime taught kids some important things. An example is that if you aim for the horn it'll make Thunder a 100 times more powerful
Or the highest point of the target.

Oh, and did you know that you can use your mind to make people fly, thus making them confused and all that cool stuff. It's called confusion. i think they screwed up whirlpool in the anime too. Seriously, did you see Piplup use that thing?
Oh look a new emoticon.
:088: :mad088:

Really, the anime is wierd when it comes to moves.

BubbleTea

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think it's just playing off of the natural want to collect/know things that kids have. Before pokémon what was it? Knowing names of various dinosaurs, collecting baseball cards, collecting bugs...etc.

Mewter

Smash Master
Hey, guyez!
The Ground IS a great conductor of electricity.
Oh, and it's okay to be shocked by 10,000 volts. You'll live through it!(Watch out for tackle! That's a killer!)

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
It's amazing. It has a lot more depth in battling than your average RPG. It has a ton of variety in moves, items, pokemon, etc, that can be in your team. Most other RPG's are just; physical attack/magic, 4 elements, equip the item with the highest power, you're stuck with a few different choices for party members, and a lot of the battles just feel like slug matches involving no strategy.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I always loved it for it's variety, and (in the first two gens) the story.

That's why i've been playing so long, and there's always something new to try with so much replay value.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
It capitalized on the success of an accessible, portable gaming system (Gameboy) that any kid could play at any time. The TV show was in its stride, the cards and stickers were going crazy, the movie came out soon after. Many of us now associate that fun childhood with Pokemon.
Plus, there's so many darn cool pokemon.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
It capitalized on the success of an accessible, portable gaming system (Gameboy) that any kid could play at any time. The TV show was in its stride, the cards and stickers were going crazy, the movie came out soon after. Many of us now associate that fun childhood with Pokemon.
Plus, there's so many darn cool pokemon.
Ummm, the game came before any of the other merchandise iirc.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Pokemon was inventive and new and nothing at the time was like it. Also it got very lucky it took off. From there on out it rarely ever hit the ground

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
It's awesome. And Umbreon is in it!

I have three Umbreon cards in sleeves put up near my speakers. They rock.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I think a big part of why it's so popular, or at least a big reason I like it, is that it isn't really about getting through the story; it's about getting better. Most games are about making your way through the plot. In Pokemon, sure there's a plot, but it really doesn't matter. It's all about getting that perfect chemistry on your team, maxing out the levels, being strong enough to take the Elite Four down, and the rest of all that. And this makes the game different. It also makes it much easier to sell lots of updated versions.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
It isn't a linear game. Well kinda, but once you get the badges, you can do whatever, like play friends and try to "catch" em all

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
I would like to, once again, bring back the point of the amount of choice in the game. If you want, play Azure Dreams, which also allows the player a great deal of choice. It is fun in the same way that the Pocket Monster series is, but is more action-y.

I am repeatedly overshadowed...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It isn't a linear game. Well kinda, but once you get the badges, you can do whatever, like play friends and try to "catch" em all
Once I get all the badges, the game kind of get's pointless and repeditive.

It would be better if they had more things to do afterward, maybe something like a rematch with the gym leaders but with them having stronger pokemon

I like Silver how you could travel to Kanto and fight all the Gym leaders from the first game

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Once I get all the badges, the game kind of get's pointless and repeditive.

It would be better if they had more things to do afterward, maybe something like a rematch with the gym leaders but with them having stronger pokemon

I like Silver how you could travel to Kanto and fight all the Gym leaders from the first game

My friend told me in gold that if you get 999,999 dollars, and go back to vermillian city and talk to the man with the machoke building the gym, that you would get the gym, and you could battle opponents XD. So, I believed him and saved up, and went to the old man, and got nothing. Soooooooo ****ing annoying. But that was like years ago, i don't think I could fall for that anymore

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well, I remember hearing about something ridiculous, like walking a certain way, then going into the backyard of a certain building, finding the rare candy and walking around in a circle, then playing the Pokeflute 100 times or something and a wild Mew appears.

The actual glitch was a lot easier lol but there were so many Mew rumors. Especially in RBY.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
cause its an rpg with a potential like 8000 different party members :)

edit^ i still partially remember the real mew glitch. i dont remember the exact process, but i remember how it worked. evidentally it determined which wild pokemon u ran into from a certain hex value stored in the game and since the GB had such lil memory, the same variable was used for talking to trainers. there was one specific trainer u could battle that had the same hex value as mew, so u could start the battle with him, but be able to fly away after he recognizes u but b4 he walks over to u, so u dont battle him but his hex value was stored in memory then you could start a battle somewhere (i think lavender) and it started a wild mew battle

Top Bottom